RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Do I need a new battery?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

C C

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Ipanema Sand
Do I need a new battery?

Mrs C C Bless her hart had been outside for the last couple of ours hovering and cleaning out the car. She just came in to tell me there was a warning on the dash ‘Low battery - please start engine’.
She has had the doors and tailgate open for quite a while but I would have thought the battery should have handled that easily.
So I’m wondering if the battery is on the way out or is this normal.
The car is a 2011 3.0 TDv6.

Post #513879 Sun Jan 08 2017 7:44pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

I get that when installing cd's onto the hard drive without the engine running. I checked the battery with a multimeter and while I can't remember the voltage, I do know it was still good (I'm an electrical engineer, so know a little about voltages...)

I'd say ignore it for now unless you find the car sluggish to start at some point, or other gremlins appear.

Dennis 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #513880 Sun Jan 08 2017 7:47pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Believe it or not leaving doors/ tailgate/ bonnet open on a Mk1 RRS is about the easiest way to flatten the battery! The warning has come up when there was enough energy left to start the engine, so maybe you just need a 20-30 mile trip to get the charge back into it. If you are still on the original battery then it may be on it's way out and with some very cold and snowy weather being forecast for the end of the coming week that might be enough to take it over the limit, might be a wise precaution to replace it now before the end of the week. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #513881 Sun Jan 08 2017 7:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Believe it or not leaving doors/ tailgate/ bonnet open on a Mk1 RRS is about the easiest way to flatten the battery! The warning has come up when there was enough energy left to start the engine, so maybe you just need a 20-30 mile trip to get the charge back into it. If you are still on the original battery then it may be on it's way out and with some very cold and snowy weather being forecast for the end of the coming week that might be enough to take it over the limit, might be a wise precaution to replace it now before the end of the week.

While the safest option, it's a comparable fix to cracking a nut with a fencing mall...

I've had that dash warning several times now when both loading cd's, and also vacuuming the car, but on all occasions the battery voltage was fine. The car started fine, and it's often left for days between runs and then it runs for a maximum of 10 minutes at a time, so rarely gets a good charge.
Infact I've been away from home now for over 3 weeks and my wife left the RRS for more than 2 weeks until she remembered to take it a run, and it started fine - and yes we also have the current cold Scottish weather.

Of course my battery is a different battery, but what I'd be suggesting is to either get it tested properly, or look for additional signs of a failing battery, but to just replace it on the basis of the first dash warning is highly excessive and expensive (unless there is other history I'm not aware of?). 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #513882 Sun Jan 08 2017 8:07pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Put a smart charger on it and give the battery a full charge. See how you get on from there. If you get the warning again in the next few weeks then it might be time to investigate further.

Sadly, a drive won't give an appreciable charge increase unless you do a good couple of hours.

RRS1 is known for being a bit of a battery mauler, especially if only used for short journeys on an intermittent basis. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #513883 Sun Jan 08 2017 8:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1