RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Engine Oil Level Sensor Failure Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Engine Oil Level Sensor Failure Warning

P*ssing rain, blowing a gale and I'm on my way home from a concert and in the middle of nowhere the Driver Information screen in the centre of the dash suddenly shows "Engine Oil Level Sensor Failure" in a yellow triangle.............. pull over, switch off and wait 5 minutes and restart but the warning is still there................ it's just after midnight and I drive the car 8 miles home as it had a full "dipstick" showing this morning when I checked it and the car doesn't seem to use any oil so thought it worth the risk. Looks like LRA will be coming to my drive later this morning. I haven't found any other posts about this in the search so I wonder if it is a software thing connected to a recent upgrade that was carried out - Q634 or something more sinister? Anybody else experienced this warning with an SDv6 HSE Dynamic? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #512026 Sun Dec 11 2016 1:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

Not sure that I need LRA now............... just been out and started the and moved it and no warnings on the dash! Will have to keep an eye on it over the next few days and see if I get the warning again. Won't it be great when ICE vehicles are all done away with and all we have to worry about is charge level in the battery ..................... or water getting into bits that it shouldn't.... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #512036 Sun Dec 11 2016 10:14am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Peanut

United Kingdom 

Exactly the same - except it was a nice sunny day about a month ago and I only had a few miles to go!

Amber triangle warning appeared whilst poodling home from Leicester. Drove home, switched off. Went for a short drive later and no warning but this is the first problem I have had so I was concerned.

Possibly related? - start stop rarely works (even in the summer) and it seems to be regenerating rather a lot - every 200 miles? Oil level always shows maximum - service not due until February. I confess it does not do many long journeys due to my wife's health deteriorating (Parkinsons & heart problems).

Called LRA at about 1600 and came out the next morning. (They said between 0700 and 0900 - Mark arrived just before 0900 and apologised for being late). Mark lives in the next village and I saw him last year when it had a rear diff leak.

Story is that this is not at all unknown. He checked the oil level - OK. So he was not unduly concerned.
He then tried to do more via his laptop - not sure what he did!

The sensor is apparently between the engine & gearbox and the wiring runs through the gearbox. So to change it means taking the gearbox out...............

So Mark said - see if it happens again, if so, get it booked in for service early.
Since then it has not recurred. Current: MY15 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Aruba Gold, HUD, Meridian 1700w
Gone: RRS TDV6 2007 Stornaway
Gone: P38 2.5 DHSE

Post #512048 Sun Dec 11 2016 12:12pm
Tim in Scotland

Thanks Peanut, I don't have any issues with stop/start and used it while driving home last night and stopped at traffic lights where we have roadworks on the local country roads (must be getting near to the end of the council's financial year and they have to get rid of money as we have had hundreds of small road works suddenly appeared but no money seems to be being spent on pot hole repairs..........) and it worked fine. I've never noticed the RRS or previous two cars fitted with a DPF doing a regeneration - maybe all my local fast A road driving means that the system doesn't need to run or does it so I don't notice it, I rarely do stop start town commuting type driving which also helps. My oil level has always read maximum on the dash gauge but at the first service the servicing dealership assured me that it was correct and not to worry so I haven't, until now! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #512049 Sun Dec 11 2016 12:28pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Peanut wrote:
Possibly related? - start stop rarely works (even in the summer) and it seems to be regenerating rather a lot - every 200 miles?

Hi Peanut,

I had exactly the same issue. Auto stop/start not working. I was fobbed off with, "you don't do enough miles to keep the battery at full charge, power management system shuts down auto stop/start first as part of its power saving routine, Its a characteristic with low mileage drivers" etc, etc.

I used to call it the most expensive PHEV manufactured as you had none of benefits and all of the drawbacks of such a vehicle having to pug it in to the CTEK on a regular basis to keep correct voltage in the battery for everything to work as it should!

However, had a major power problem recently and the car wound up back at the dealers who installed Q634, which is related to a power management module software update and all these problems appear to have now gone away. It is a recall item, so suggest you book it in with the dealer as soon as convenient.

Doesn't help you at all Tim, but has made a very positive difference to me!

Regards,

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #512051 Sun Dec 11 2016 12:47pm
Tim in Scotland

Mine had Q634 while it was in for investigation of the front screen defroster failure and even though I had had no issues prior to the update I noticed that the throttle response was much more sensitive after having it, more instantaneous, no hesitation to pull away when you want a quick pull away from a junction. It wasn't bad before but much improved since! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #512053 Sun Dec 11 2016 1:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1