RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > buying over the Christmas period???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

david555

buying over the Christmas period???

Hi guys, need abit of advice. I have posted here before regarding some advice on what to look out for when buying and now I think I'm all prepared and ready!!
Ideally I want to sell my car privately rather then trade it in. More money = more bargaining power!
I also need a car for work so need to time it right so I only go without a car during time off.
I was looking at putting the car on ebay bidding. To finish the last day of work, a week before Christmas.
Then I've got 2 weeks over that season to find a car I like!
If it wasn't Christmas I think it would be a prefect plan!!

My dilemma is... With it being Christmas do sellers (private or dealers) sell at a higher price with it being winter and a 4x4.
Do they not bother advertising? Or do they (fingers crossed) sell at a reduced price to try and make it appealing to buyers as its an awkward time of year?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Post #511485 Sun Dec 04 2016 10:27am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I think your plan is flawed sadly.

1. Finding a good RRS in 2 weeks, unlikely
2. RRS are at there peak price being winter
3. your car is at it's lowest price being winter

I think you need a short term loan (maybe a 0% credit card?) to bridge the gap.

or

Find a RRS. Put deposit down and then list your car on ebay with a collection date of xxxx (normally takes a week before someone collects um)

Post #511491 Sun Dec 04 2016 11:33am
david555

Unfortunately I would never get a loan or anything like that, terrible credit history:(
Slowly trying to get it better.
Hmmm. I really don't want to wait until summer for a new car Sad

Post #511494 Sun Dec 04 2016 11:43am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

If you can only just afford the car then you should question whether this is the right car for you. Then can be a money pit. £1000 here £1000 there from the start. So you need some money in reserve.

Cost lots in fuel too.

Post #511502 Sun Dec 04 2016 12:23pm
david555

I can comfortably afford the car, running costs and bills. That's not an issue.
Its finding a good car at the right time that's an issue.
Also selling mine, its not that I cant afford to run both until the old car sells. Its the principal that I'm not insuring and taxing a car I'm not using.

Post #511506 Sun Dec 04 2016 12:47pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

We have had snow, below zero temperatures and bad weather - winter isn't the time of year to be looking for a bargain SUV of any make as dealers tend to hike prices and then when the stock hasn't sold by late February the cars start to deflate in price as they try to clear their forecourts to make way for rag tops. Franchised dealers will always have the best vehicles but won't be offering bargains. If the price is low usually there are a host of problems needing to be sorted too........... I would suggest if you can afford it an approved used RRS will be the better bet and as you re looking for deals at the end of month/ end of quarter and end of year there are bonus targets to be met at franchised dealers so they are more like to do a deal. Don't forget that at a main dealer you will also get a two year warranty, it will be less than 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles and should have a full service history. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #511514 Sun Dec 04 2016 1:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fkarim

United Kingdom 

As Tim says, December is a great time to buy at franchised dealers due to their eagerness to do deals in order to meet their y/e targets. I bought an approved used Black Edition in December 2013 and got an excellent deal. The car came with 2 year service plan and was still within manufacturer's warranty while I had it so didn't cost me a penny other than tax, insurance and fuel throughout my ownership. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #511538 Sun Dec 04 2016 5:58pm
smiler148

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I think looking at prices this maybe is a good time to buy a RRS. The prices seem to be lower than ever right now and sellers wont be having much luck as people dont want to spend cash just before Christmas. This may be an advantage to yourself as the seller is more likely to take less for an easy quick sale.

I am trying to sell one of my own cars right now anyway and thats the way i feel.ha.

Although i mentioned there are many cheap prices RRS for sale just now be careful what you buy. They are probably cheap for a reason. Best look for one that has had all the work and usual issues sorted and spend 1 or 2k more.

Good luck

Post #511556 Sun Dec 04 2016 8:50pm
david555

That was my philosophy!!
People will want to make sales before Xmas when alot of people ain't spending there money.
I have done all my research into what I need to look out for and what mileage I'm hoping to get.
I'll have 2 weeks of non stop looking and I'm willing to travel.
Also, which may curse me on this forum ha!
Is I'm still torn between a rrs and a disco 4.
So I'm sure ill find one good cat between them in 2 weeks when I'm willing to travel.
Just hope people don't stop selling or advertising before Xmas!

Post #511559 Sun Dec 04 2016 8:59pm
david555

I may even wait until I have some time off in February.
I'm being picky with spec, colour combination and would prefer the rotary gear selector to the big shifter.
Don't want to settle and be disappointed.

Post #511560 Sun Dec 04 2016 9:13pm
rborhara

United Kingdom 

i was thinking of buying in Xmas, but it maybe catch 22, prices might be reduced by what it went up for Winter.

Also if 4 year old RRS are around £25K to £30K now, does that mean come september 2017, i can expect the newer shape 63 reg for £25-30K, or not considering that they are around £40K plus and thy surely can depreciate that much, i think there is a 2017 refresh happening too so prices maybe affected

Post #511610 Mon Dec 05 2016 9:49pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Rborhara, I doubt they'll drop that much, but I have given up trying to predict any market.

david555, I think putting yourself under that sort of pressure to sell AND buy a car in 2 weeks over Christmas can only end one way: much entertainment for us and horrendous pain for you! Don't do it. If anything sell your car and buy a banger and then spend a few weeks finding the right RRS. Thumbs Up L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #511617 Mon Dec 05 2016 11:05pm
rborhara

United Kingdom 

I find it difficult finding a autobiography or HSE lux spec at a dealer that is resonably priced for haggle.

Post #511625 Tue Dec 06 2016 1:20am
david555

I think I'm going to save up a few more thousand and buy about February.
Trade my car in as well to save abit of stress Smile

Post #511638 Tue Dec 06 2016 12:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1