RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Auxiliary Heater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Hutch41

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red
Auxiliary Heater

Can someone answer this please......there is an auxiliary heater fitted to my car.

I don't want to set any prearranged times for it to operate.

Does it come on automatically when I start up if it is very cold ?

(Can't make any sense of the handbook )

Post #510747 Fri Nov 25 2016 3:05pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

IIRC all Diesel RRS L320 (ie up to the introduction of the L494 models in 2013) have a built in auxilary diesel powered heater that should come on automatically when the ambient temperature is below 5c to help reduce cold start emissions. It is possible to retro fit a timer system and also remote control to pre-heat the engine on cold mornings to give you warm air from the heater more quickly. Often new to LR owners see smoke coming from below the front bumper or near side wheel arch and panic, but that is the exhaust from the heater. There should be a metal unit with pipes going into it under the bonnet on the passenger side just in front of the battery box which is the FBH. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #510751 Fri Nov 25 2016 3:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Not sure if this applies to the later model such as yours but certainly on the models up to 2009 a snowflake appears on the dash adjacent to the temperature to indicate it is sufficiently cold to invoke operation of the auxiliary heater.
Note that the auxiliary heater will not come on if the vehicles fuel tank is less than 1/4 full or if the battery's state of charge is low.
When invoked the heater may run continuously if the ambient temperature is very low but normally will cut in and out as required. When running a smell like kerosene is evident outside the vehicle and occasionally drawn into the cabin slightly. I kind of quite like that as an endearing little quirk that makes it feel a bit 'different'. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #510760 Fri Nov 25 2016 5:27pm
radders1

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Tim in Scotland wrote:
IIRC all Diesel RRS L320 (ie up to the introduction of the L494 models in 2013) have a built in auxilary diesel powered heater that should come on automatically when the ambient temperature is below 5c to help reduce cold start emissions. It is possible to retro fit a timer system and also remote control to pre-heat the engine on cold mornings to give you warm air from the heater more quickly. Often new to LR owners see smoke coming from below the front bumper or near side wheel arch and panic, but that is the exhaust from the heater. There should be a metal unit with pipes going into it under the bonnet on the passenger side just in front of the battery box which is the FBH.

Being one of those 'new Range Rover owners' Laughing I saw this smoke coming out of the near side this morning and did panic a little I must admit. Thank you for clearing this up for me without even asking Very Happy

Post #510774 Fri Nov 25 2016 9:40pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

http://www.disco4.com/forum/webasto-fuel-b...b999387d89 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* GONE: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #510795 Sat Nov 26 2016 10:22am
Hutch41

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Thanks to everyone again.....very helpful bunch I must say.

Post #510818 Sat Nov 26 2016 5:59pm
foxtrotzulu

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Paddi wrote:
Not sure if this applies to the later model such as yours but certainly on the models up to 2009 a snowflake appears on the dash adjacent to the temperature to indicate it is sufficiently cold to invoke operation of the auxiliary heater.
Note that the auxiliary heater will not come on if the vehicles fuel tank is less than 1/4 full or if the battery's state of charge is low.
When invoked the heater may run continuously if the ambient temperature is very low but normally will cut in and out as required. When running a smell like kerosene is evident outside the vehicle and occasionally drawn into the cabin slightly. I kind of quite like that as an endearing little quirk that makes it feel a bit 'different'.

Unless I'm mistaken, the snowflake indicates that the temperature is low enough for a risk of ice, rather than that the heater has come on. Of course, they may both be triggered by the same temperature but I think the first reason is more useful.

Post #510819 Sat Nov 26 2016 6:34pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Absolutely.

There was a red light to indicate the heater was on but it was axed.

Post #510826 Sat Nov 26 2016 7:28pm
RallyXS

United Kingdom 

When I read the manual I'm sure it said the FBH would activate below 8c. 2012 RRS SDV6
2014 BMW 320d X-Drive Touring
1999 VW Polo stage rally car

Post #510991 Mon Nov 28 2016 10:10pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

FBH activates at external temperature below 9deg C and with a coolant temp below 75deg C. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #510994 Mon Nov 28 2016 11:16pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Ha Ha.
I love threads like this:
The OP asks a simple question, gets the information he needs and goes away happy. Then the rest of us nerds all carry on arguing over the finer points for a week Rolling with laughter

Foxtrotzulu - Read my post again. I didn't say the snowflake indicates the FBH is on.

RRSTDV8 - it seems to be accepted wisdom over on the Disco3 site that the FBH comes on at temps below 6deg C and 75deg C coolant temp where did you get 9 from? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #511079 Tue Nov 29 2016 6:40pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

actually.... it's 5degrees....... Whistle Whistle Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #511082 Tue Nov 29 2016 6:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I got it from the Workshop Manual... Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #511103 Tue Nov 29 2016 9:22pm
RallyXS

United Kingdom 

Paddi wrote:
Ha Ha.
I love threads like this:
The OP asks a simple question, gets the information he needs and goes away happy. Then the rest of us nerds all carry on arguing over the finer points for a week Rolling with laughter

Foxtrotzulu - Read my post again. I didn't say the snowflake indicates the FBH is on.

RRSTDV8 - it seems to be accepted wisdom over on the Disco3 site that the FBH comes on at temps below 6deg C and 75deg C coolant temp where did you get 9 from?

Just to resurrect this and show how nerdy some of us are, I read that the FBH won't activate if you have less than 1/4 tank of diesel. Well I was nearly down to reserve and mine worked, so that must be a myth. 2012 RRS SDV6
2014 BMW 320d X-Drive Touring
1999 VW Polo stage rally car

Post #514986 Wed Jan 18 2017 9:39pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I've heard that if you have a pink one it's 9 degrees, but if it's a blue one, it's 8 degrees.
If it's fitted upside down then it cools the engine down until icicles form on the end if your nose Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #515012 Thu Jan 19 2017 12:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1