RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Brakes - Again!!! All round, discs, pads & sensors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

gavwhite1972

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Brakes - Again!!! All round, discs, pads & sensors

I have been reading the posts regarding brakes for a number of weeks and still cannot make my mind up what to do.

Perhaps I am just over-thinking things and confusing myself… however, one last ask for advice before taking the plunge is needed.

I have seen posts suggesting going to cheaper euro parts suppliers, I have seen people saying no problems, I have seen people suggest brands like MINTEX then others say they warped repeatedly and you should go to the OEM at LR.

Problem is, LR don’t make brakes… so who is the OEM?? Even the fabled BREMBO have sold their name so brakes formerly made by them may now actually be MINTEX with a BREMBO name on…. Its total confusion.

I asked Dan at Duckworths for some prices which he kindly provided….. however, with all the confusion over OEM… LR not making brakes, not knowing who actually makes them for LR any-more… and variations in price from around £250 to £500 for parts (which could be the same bits made in the same place but carrying a different name)… I simply don’t know what to do.

I have had prices from the following places which is for Discs, Pads and Sensors all round on my 2011 RRS TDV6 HSE;

Duckworths (OEM’s?? but who are the OEM?) - £430 parts only
Allwoods in Lincoln (Apex brakes – 2yr warranty) - £250 parts only
Just Cars in Retford (TRW (Lucas) brakes – 2yr warranty) - £470 + £100 to fit
eBay (BREMBO full set) - £399.99 parts only

HEEELLLLLLP.
Bow down Bow down Big Cry Big Cry Censored Censored Censored

Post #507707 Thu Oct 13 2016 11:16am
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I have replaced the brakes twice on my car (it is over 122,000miles now). The last time was about 3 years ago. I always go to my usual motor factor (Hereward car & Truck) in Stamford. The discs came in a Brembo box and the price, from memory, was similar to the Duckworth price for everything. You could call them for a price.

My car does not have the Brembo big brakes, just the standard ones. And I have to say that the brakes work hard on such a heavy car, so disc life is compromised as a result. But I would not worry too much about brands.

Adam..

Post #507717 Thu Oct 13 2016 1:42pm
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I would take a look at advanced factors, they're a site sponsor. I usually buy from them, they do a kit with everything you need, brake sensors, new retaining bolts, copper grease, the lot really.

I've got Brembo's on the front but bought Borg and Beck disks and pads from Advancced Factors and I've had no issues. I had a bit of wheel shake for a few days while they bedded in but they're now fine Thumbs Up

Be careful when doing the rear brakes as the handbrake will happily chew itself to bits and land you with a big bill, there are guides on here.

Post #507722 Thu Oct 13 2016 2:44pm
gavwhite1972

Additionally...

How do i know if they are Brembo on the front as standard? I cant see any branding etc....

Are there any obvious things to see with the wheel on that will tell me I have Brembo on front and back.. or only on front etc...

I'm not planning on doing it myself, my garage will fit everything for £100 so i am happy at that price.. I just need to make sure I buy the right bits.

Cheers

Post #507732 Thu Oct 13 2016 4:02pm
Socast

It's fairly obvious, they're only fitted to the front, the callipers are easily twice the size of the rear, painted back with Brembo in white writing facing out.

Post #507738 Thu Oct 13 2016 4:14pm
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

I have been using Zimmerman disks and ATE pads on my TDV6.. OEM on most BMW's, They are not expensive and zink coated. very good braking power, hardly any dust and very good performance.
In short, better dan LR OEM

Post #507744 Thu Oct 13 2016 4:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stecla

England 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Be careful. I paid over 350 quid to have some non genuine discs and pads fitted. Car shook like crazy with them on. Had new LR ones fitted since by rovertune, and is a different car. I would definitely recommend the LR ones if you can. 2010 TDV8

Post #507791 Fri Oct 14 2016 7:34am
gavwhite1972

My front callipers appear to be larger than the rear ones... all are black, none have any branding on them I can see.

Again, lots of reference to LR ones... OEM etc. Does anyone actually know who makes the LR ones.... with all the name / brand selling anyone can apply any name to their product really so each LR can have 'genuine parts' fitted and be different to each other.

Post #507797 Fri Oct 14 2016 9:15am
Socast

The front callipers on most vehicles are usually bigger than the rear. It will have a fairly obvious Brembo logo written on it if it is a Brembo (unless it's been repainted), best bet would be to either google the RRS Brembo so you can see what they look like or take a pic of yours and let the internet work it's magic.

Personally I would say you're over thinking it, buy from a reputable seller and the parts will have a warranty, so if you have any problems return them and again, Advanced Factors are about as cheap as it gets while still being trustworthy. They sell pads and disks alone if you don't want the kit.

Post #507801 Fri Oct 14 2016 9:50am
gavwhite1972

I suspect you are right regarding my over thinking....

Cheers

Post #507809 Fri Oct 14 2016 10:50am
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Stecla wrote:
Be careful. I paid over 350 quid to have some non genuine discs and pads fitted. Car shook like crazy with them on. Had new LR ones fitted since by rovertune, and is a different car. I would definitely recommend the LR ones if you can.

Ditto! Best price was from Dan at Duckworths and very speedy free delivery! Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #507812 Fri Oct 14 2016 11:08am
Russben

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Have a look on Advanced Factors (site sponsor). They do a variety of makes. I bought Borg & Beck discs & pads from them a while ago and haven't had any problems.
Their prices are pretty good. I'm in the shed, I'll be back in the real world in a minute.

Post #507829 Fri Oct 14 2016 6:54pm
gavwhite1972

Does anyone know who the OEM are for the genuine LR parts?

Post #507832 Fri Oct 14 2016 8:17pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Depends on the model and year,I believe.
My 2007TDV8 has Brembos front and rear as standard, so the OEM must be Brembo.
I have just replaced my rears with Brembos from Europarts, they had a 31% discount sale on last weekend so they cost me just over £100 for discs and pads. Sensor cables I bought from Ebay for £6 a pair. 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #507854 Sat Oct 15 2016 11:03am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The rear discs on my 08MY TDV8 have Brembo stamped in the face of the hub. They were replaced recently following an EPB failure. Indy uses LR parts unless requested otherwise. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #507860 Sat Oct 15 2016 1:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>