Home > General > And its goodbye from me
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Mail Order Ride

And its goodbye from me

Hello/Goodbye

Well firstly its been an unexpected and great 7 1/2 years

Up until the time I test drove a RRS I never, ever thought I would have one
Immediately getting behind the wheel changed everything though - its a stupendous place to be

Our route into it was driven purely by weather and towing capability

The image and reputation of the RR Sport had it well down the list however after eventually crossing everything else off it was the last remaining candidate hence the test drive. 7 seats would have been good but the Q7 and Disco scored badly for us at least whilst the XC90 just didnt have the off road credentials, the FFRR was too much of a barge and the Toyota LC was just too big.

Favourite journeys?
Its a choice of 2.

Soon after purchase we had flights booked to the Pyrenees which were cancelled due to air traffic control strikes the night before leading to a non stop trip from "the North" all the way through France in one hit without any drama - 1000 miles each way.
The other contender was a weekend away with mates in a cottage 2 miles up and down an unsurfaced moorland road after heavy snow, when we arrived the local farmer expressed amazement as his tractor had been grounded whilst I ferried my mates in from the main road (Wintrac Extremes definitely helped here)

Fuel consumption in a TDV8 has been covered many times in the forum.
I get 30mpg at 70-80mph on the motorway/Peage and an average of 24mpg overall although it is not commuted in town.

The legendary poor JLR reliability has been a disappointment.

In 7 1/2 years and just under 60,000 miles mine chewed an alternator last year, killed its electronic handbrake this summer and has just been recovered (the only time it died) back from holiday in Wales due to a dead ride height sensor - now fixed.

The original discs have plenty of wear left and brake pads last me approx 40k miles!
Tyres are good for 25-30k too.

Servicing every year is irritating on my Gen 1 car and top rate "road tax" is also a drag but also helps the man maths in deciding its time for a change.

Having a tame indie a mile down the road who have looked after it since its warranty lapsed is absolutely the main reason I have kept it for so long, main dealer service prices are just absurd plus I dont trust them. Warranty insurance is a complete gamble, my attitude to risk is such that I keep tenners stuffed under the mattress and always planned to move it on when the pile diminished however I have been extremely lucky with reliability and am definitely in profit versus renewing every year - plus warranty threads on the forum have me wary of conflicting levels of service and satisfaction as well.

So why the change?
Good question.

Annual servicing costs 1k per 2 years
Vehicle tax costs another 1k per 2y when currently the most efficient cars costs naff all
Fuel consumption versus a more modern car leaves me approx 1k better off too over 2y as well

(the above admittedly have a 'man maths' correction coefficient)

Im also very aware that I have been extremely fortunate with reliability and have arguably bought a blessed car Smile
Despite this I have spent significant cash this year and last year on repairs which will probably escalate the older the car gets.

So all things considered its time to sell

This post isnt a tarty ad because Ive agreed a sale with my indie
He's offered a whisker less than CAP which Im happy with (he accidentally left the CAP papers in the car when he fixed the ride height sensors)

I would arguably get more privately but would have to tolerate tyre kickers and time wasters and also leave myself open to the hassle of it randomly chewing something expensive as they pull off my driveway

Our circumstances have changed so we no longer need towing ability
Recent winters have been mild as well but there have certainly been a couple where our car has been the only one mobile which is essential for my work and that of the missus, we will certainly miss the reassurance of this

I will absolutely miss it

Im handing it over after the weekend, it would have been tonight but its needed as a wedding car for my mate tomorrow

Sniff/sob/cheers

Post #504974 Fri Sep 09 2016 11:14pm
robmeister1969

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Nice story. And so what's next for you? 2005 RRS First Edition Supercharged
2015 BMW M4

Post #505001 Sat Sep 10 2016 10:52am
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

You must have loved the car if you have kept it for 7 1/2 years. All the best for the future and let's hope you like the next vehicle, as much as you did the TDV8 Sport Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #505005 Sat Sep 10 2016 11:40am
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Quote:
You must have loved the car if you have kept it for 7 1/2 years. All the best for the future and let's hope you like the next vehicle, as much as you did the TDV8

Unfortunately he won't find anything half as nice to drive, still the best car off road according to every reviewer, as comfortable or acknowledged as a icon type car. Most return after driving something else.
But best of luck, see you when you come back.

(Incidentally the Road Tax drops drastically next year under new prices, and all those Green hybrid people will have to pay road tax, anything from 110 to 220. Only cars to be exempt will be fully electric cars, and the charges now applied to all chargers are 5 for 20 minute charge, making dearer than running a SVR. Unless you can manage to charge only at home. Very Happy ) Rolling with laughter Very Happy John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #505045 Sat Sep 10 2016 11:20pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Everything I've seen says the new rfl rates only apply to vehicles registered April onwards next year so existing cars are staying with the old bands for better or worse Confused

Good luck with your future vehicle MOB Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #505056 Sun Sep 11 2016 7:57am
BKHK

Australia 

I heard he was getting a PHEV Rolling Eyes How is yours going Muddy?

Post #505059 Sun Sep 11 2016 8:29am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

DS goes Tuesday and phev arrives end of week hopefully so will be back in my lads mini for a few days - just hope it doesn't turn into months like last year Rolling Eyes

I was planning to post my thoughts when it arrives but been reminded this is a LR forum and appear to have ruffled some feathers so I may just Censored off Embarassed

It's been a blast though Bow down Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #505060 Sun Sep 11 2016 8:44am
TPS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I would still be interested in how it goes muddy. We should not blind ourselves to alternatives and comparison.
Off topic of course. -----------------------------------------------
RRS SDV6 HSE MY2012 Orkney grey, Oxford leather Ivory seats Ebony carpet, Anigre wood trim, enhanced design pack.

Post #505061 Sun Sep 11 2016 9:19am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

My thoughts exactly TPS Bow down Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #505063 Sun Sep 11 2016 9:30am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

TPS wrote:
I would still be interested in how it goes muddy. We should not blind ourselves to alternatives and comparison.
Off topic of course.

A while back I suggested creation of an "other marques" section on this forum for exactly that reason. I for one would want to know what's going on elsewhere. Life's too short to "marry" a car brand and not try anything else. Of course no one is forced to open those threads if they are too narrow minded or simply aren't interested. It will be different to visiting each and every specific car forum because information will be in one place. People who've owned RRS and move to other manufacturers can provide more relevant comparisons IMHO. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #505064 Sun Sep 11 2016 10:09am
PEACHY

England 

^^^^^ I second the above ^^^^^ Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #505067 Sun Sep 11 2016 11:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I'd welcome an alternatives thread too. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #505073 Sun Sep 11 2016 12:44pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Good idea Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #505074 Sun Sep 11 2016 12:47pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Suggestion made, this time properly and to the main man: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post505081.html Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #505083 Sun Sep 11 2016 2:26pm
BKHK

Australia 

Don't p... off Muddy. This forum is a bit of a community, it's healthy and we all move on from RRS throughout our lives. Let's have that other Marques section.

I want to know how you get on with the PHEV anyway.

Post #505119 Mon Sep 12 2016 12:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>