RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Rear ended....again!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

DrFox1969

Australia 
Rear ended....again!!!!

The first day of spring promised so much........until 5 minutes into my journey to work this morning!!

Sat stationary in traffic about 100m back from traffic lights when the guy behind managed to smash into the rear end of the RRS. He hit me with a hell of a bang and i'm not sure how he managed to gather so much speed when we were just crawling in traffic. Obviously he was not paying attention and probably looking at his phone which seems to be a major problem these days.

The tow bar fitting took the brunt of the impact but the rear bumper is damaged, towing electrics smashed, bottom of boot lid damaged so the boot lid will not shut flush with the bodywork, bumper has pushed forward so where it wraps around to the rear wheel arch the joint is now misaligned.

All up the damage is not too bad, its just the usual hassle I can do without.

I got straight onto insurance and went to authorized repairer straight away but they cant start repairs until 6th October!!!

This is the 2nd time in 9 months that someone has rear ended me....same thing happened in my Merc at the end of last year.

Hopefully things don't come in threes!!! 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #504260 Thu Sep 01 2016 3:40am
matsoutback

Australia 

Sorry to see that, I know how that feels. I had a 1 month old X5 and had a old commodore jump from the lights and BANG.. geeez Evil or Very Mad

I hope they do a more professional job repairing the RRS than they did on the Merc... Rolling with laughter

Post #504261 Thu Sep 01 2016 6:00am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

You have my sympathy too - had it happen to me before as well - pita and spoils the new vehicle feeling Sad

I've been rear ended and front ended while parked - been side swiped too Big Cry

Hope they do a proper job and the memory fades Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #504274 Thu Sep 01 2016 8:49am
wilf

The only thing I truly recall about the "not at fault" incident on my 4 month old Sport was just how glad I was to get it back! MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #504275 Thu Sep 01 2016 9:02am
DrFox1969

Australia 

matsoutback wrote:
Sorry to see that, I know how that feels. I had a 1 month old X5 and had a old commodore jump from the lights and BANG.. geeez Evil or Very Mad

I hope they do a more professional job repairing the RRS than they did on the Merc... Rolling with laughter

Cheers matsoutback. It was also a Commodore who hit me!!!

Dont you like my running repairs on the Merc!!?? Laughing Gaffer tape to the rescue!! 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #504324 Fri Sep 02 2016 12:20am
DrFox1969

Australia 

muddywheels wrote:
You have my sympathy too - had it happen to me before as well - pita and spoils the new vehicle feeling Sad

I've been rear ended and front ended while parked - been side swiped too Big Cry

Hope they do a proper job and the memory fades Thumbs Up

Thanks for your message muddy. Thumbs Up

24 hours later and I am a little calmer about the whole thing. No one injured (apart from a stiff back) and the car will get fixed. I have used the repair shop before and have been happy with their work. Its just a waiting game now. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #504325 Fri Sep 02 2016 12:26am
IRBails

Australia 

Bad luck, you are so right when you say the hassle, less hassle for the commodore, bits available from any wrecking yard whilst you you have to wait for a Decent repair Firm to get genuine bits. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #504326 Fri Sep 02 2016 12:27am
DrFox1969

Australia 

wilf wrote:
The only thing I truly recall about the "not at fault" incident on my 4 month old Sport was just how glad I was to get it back!

Cheers wilf. I am hoping that I am not without the car for too long.

It is booked in for October which coincides with our trip to Palm Cove so with a bit of luck it will all happen whilst I am away and I can collect as soon I get home. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #504328 Fri Sep 02 2016 12:31am
DrFox1969

Australia 

IRBails wrote:
Bad luck, you are so right when you say the hassle, less hassle for the commodore, bits available from any wrecking yard whilst you you have to wait for a Decent repair Firm to get genuine bits.

Thanks bails.

I can do without it but so far so good. My insurance company have been great. Within 6 hours of the incident, the car had been inspected by the authorized repairer, booked in and parts ordered, like for like replacement vehicle arranged and insurance company acknowledged that it is a no fault claim.

After previous hassles with other insurance companies I am really happy with the service so far. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #504329 Fri Sep 02 2016 12:37am
matsoutback

Australia 

That is a good start, can I ask who the insurer is?

ps Glad you received my sarcasm well..

Post #504332 Fri Sep 02 2016 12:51am
DrFox1969

Australia 

Hey mats........ Thumbs Up

I even tried to color code the gaffer tape to the paint color!!! Rolling with laughter

Insurance company is RAA.....by far the best Insurance company I have dealt with both for service and premiums. Unfortunately for you they only operate in SA. I have a property in Melbourne and tried to get them to insure that but they stay in SA only. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #504334 Fri Sep 02 2016 1:29am
matsoutback

Australia 

It takes a trained eye to spot it, you did well. Bow down

Post #504336 Fri Sep 02 2016 2:44am
wilf

"Authorized repairer"? I hope that is a JLR bodyshop? To maintain bodyshell, paint, and other warranties? (You are entitled to insist it goes into one as you are "not at fault".

Also entitled to a "like for like" "courtesy car".

Well, them's the rules here in the UK - is it the same in Oz? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #504342 Fri Sep 02 2016 8:21am
DrFox1969

Australia 

matsoutback wrote:
It takes a trained eye to spot it, you did well. Bow down

You sir are clearly a connoisseur of fine repair work!!! 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #504422 Sat Sep 03 2016 3:27am
DrFox1969

Australia 

wilf wrote:
"Authorized repairer"? I hope that is a JLR bodyshop? To maintain bodyshell, paint, and other warranties? (You are entitled to insist it goes into one as you are "not at fault".

Also entitled to a "like for like" "courtesy car".

Well, them's the rules here in the UK - is it the same in Oz?

wilf, the car industry is different here in Oz. I lived in the UK for the first 37 years of my life and any car issues were dealt with by the dealer and most of them had a body shop.

Over here the main dealers will have a service centre but most if not all dealers will not have in integral body shop. That is the same for all manufacturers. They all have a preferred and approved (but independent) bodyshop. Sometimes this coincides with the approved list from the insurer, sometimes not but the insurer cannot stop you choosing your own repairer. The only difference being if you chose your own and it is not on the insurers approved list, the insurer will not give you lifetime guarantee on the repairs.

As in my case, the approved JLR repairer in Adelaide is not on my insurers approved list however as my car is only 5 months old I wanted to ensure there were no warranty issues so I chose the JLR approved bodyshop over the insurers recommendations.

As for courtesy cars, the insurers will generally only give you a standard medium sized family vehicle as a temporary replacement. The body shops give you details of independent claims companies who will seek authorization from the at fault party's insurer to provide you with a like for like vehicle. This independent company then supplies the vehicle and claims all costs from the at fault party's insurer. If the accident had been my fault, my insurer would only provide me with a standard medium sized family vehicle.

The other complication here at times relates to the fact it is not a legal requirement to have your own private car insurance. The annual vehicle registration fee (UK Road Tax in your language) includes CTP (compulsory third party insurance) which covers you as the driver or owner of a car for any claims if someone gets injured. However, CTP insurance does not cover any damage to property, for example damage that you cause to another car or something in it.

So you could be unlucky and get hit by a car with no car insurance and recovery of repair costs can become an issue. Your insurer will pursue this but pretty sure your premium would take a hit if they cant recover the costs from the other party.

In this instance the other party was fully insured so I'm hoping for a smooth ride!!! 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #504423 Sat Sep 03 2016 3:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>