RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > I couldn't leave it alone... Xperia Z3 Tablet build :-)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Pas de probleme Very Happy

OK I'm maybe not the best person to ask as I keep changing my mind on what to install etc, but poweer and audio are quite straight forward.

Power:

1. Use an USB car adapter in the cigarette lighter socket and run the cable behind the dash to the tablet. It's simple but not very OEM and if like me you don't like cables an eyesore also.

2. Use an USB car adapter but hard wire it to the cigarette lighter under the center console, then run cable to tablet. Relatively easy and conceals all the cables.

3. Use a 12VDC to 5VDC 3A converter and hard wire as in 2 above. You can get these with the correct USB connector wired to the output end on amazon or fleabay.../

There are countless options I'm sure but these are the 3 I've considered or used.

Audio:

1. Easiest is to use a 3.5mm audio cable and run it from your tablet to the Aux In socket at the back of the center console. Again the cable will be visible but it's easy.

2. Even easier is to use a BT receiver plugged in to the Aux In. This means no cable to run and the tablet can play audio over BT to the stereo.

3. The tidiest way is to splice into the Aux In cable at the back to the Head Unit. I have done this in the past however I found that the connection was not very good. I therefore went back to using the BT option until I get time to do a proper job of the splicing and will probably do it close to the Aux In socket this time.

Hope this helps a little. There's plenty of information in here and on the sister site www.disco3.co.uk.

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #472370 Tue Sep 08 2015 6:46am
garywmc

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Guyzer73 wrote:
Rumz, basically yes. I posted somewhere here that the mode button doesn't select the Aux In. This is why I wanted FM radio over the tablet as I was working on the assumption that I couldn't switch to Aux In from the steering wheel. This meant either I retain the HU which I didn't want to do, or find another solution, that being a USB DAB FM radio or using the in built Sony radio.

For you I guess you'll have to go the USB route as the nexus doesn't come with an fm radio.

Good luck, and sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings Wink

Cheers

Guy

If you hold in the mode button on the steering wheel for a few seconds it selects AUX mode.

Post #497114 Thu May 26 2016 11:57pm
Guyzer73

Cheers Gary Thumbs Up

Never knew that. I'll give it a go and it might well open up some useful options.... Very Happy

Cheers

Post #497139 Fri May 27 2016 6:35pm
garywmc

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

No problem Wink I was delighted when I tried it and it worked.

I'm planning on installing the nexus 7 (2013) install by removing the control panel of existing unit. I plan to run a 3.5 cable from tablet to aux for audio then run power cable to tablet and install Timurs Kernal for the functionality. Just waiting on the double din facia to see how it all fits as i think this will be the toughest task.

Do I need to purchase any special cables if I'm going down this route or will the existing unit still work ok if its tucked in behind heater controls? I'm still hoping the radio function & steering wheel controls will still work.

Any tips or advice for the install would be greatly appreciated.

Post #497141 Fri May 27 2016 7:06pm
Guyzer73

Hi Gary, good choice using the N7 2013 Thumbs Up only downside is that it doesn't support GSM even on the LTE model... So if you want telephony on the tablet you'll need to use Tablet Talk and pair with your phone via BT or WiFi.

Also Timur's kernel needs you to use an OTG cable otherwise you lose functionality, specifically the Fixed Install Deep Sleep.

Check Rumz build he also installed an N7 in the same location. The biggest issue is getting it mounted in the double DIN fascia

I'll write more tomorrow once I've had a I think.

Cheers

Post #497187 Sat May 28 2016 4:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123