RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > HDC, Transmission and ABS error codes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RTG

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 S Stornoway Grey
HDC, Transmission and ABS error codes

Many thanks for all the information on the various forums, not only this website, but all the associated ones. This is a little of my issues with my "new" 2008 Range Rover Sport.
I have a 1998 Discovery 1 which I purchased in 2000, and it has been a fantastic workhorse, but it was time to upgrade.
The Range Rover Sport is a vehicle I have lusted after for many years, so I had it for a couple of days, and as I had done many times with my Disco, washed it thoroughly.........even the engine!!!
Even though I used a pressure cleaner, I was careful to spray from a distance. Finished, I started the vehicle, and the dashboard glowed like a christmas tree, with the above errors.
So onto the web forums, tailight, battery, brake light switch, ECU. I removed the battery, removed the ECU from behind it and checked the ECU, which appeared dry. Change brake light bulbs, which coincidentally fixed the HDC as there was carbon buildup and a sheared lens from the bayonet. Still a couple of errors.
Changed the battery, changed the brake light switch, still no joy.
Finally I pulled out the ECU again and had a very close look.

The circled and arrowed chip had a very small amount of salt coloured corrosion across about 5 of the top connectors where the tip of the arrow is. I cleaned it with a 3in1 spray cleaner and a soft toothbrush and let it dry before putting it all back together.
The errors are gone, and hopefully they stay away. Again many thanks for all the contributions on these forums.

Post #494376 Mon Apr 25 2016 7:20am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Nice work Thumbs Up

As I'm sure you noticed, there are two ECUs behind the battery; the top one is the transfer case module (TCCM) and the one behind it is the engine ECU. Which one had the problem that you fixed?

Crazy design though - of all the vehicles I have owned only the RRS has these vital modules so exposed to the elements or engine bay cleaning. Usually the various inadequate rubber seals have been tampered with by careless 'professionals' and not properly refitted which only makes the problem worse.

Good idea to search the forum before starting any work on your car - a search for engine bay cleaning would have quickly alerted you to the risk of drowning the ECUs. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #494389 Mon Apr 25 2016 11:26am
RTG

The transfer case module. To be honest I didn't notice anything behind it

Post #494390 Mon Apr 25 2016 12:04pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

So are these 2 Ecu' s the only items of concern when cleaning the engine bay?? 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #494418 Mon Apr 25 2016 5:46pm
RTG

Im unsure. I know my mechanics dont do an engine bay wash anymore due to the ECU issues

Post #494426 Mon Apr 25 2016 8:11pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Paddi wrote:

Crazy design though - of all the vehicles I have owned only the RRS has these vital modules so exposed to the elements or engine bay cleaning. Usually the various inadequate rubber seals have been tampered with by careless 'professionals' and not properly refitted which only makes the problem worse.

Nothing wrong with the design - it was intended for going off road, not getting jet washed! Who the hell fires a hose pipe around near the battery anyway?

As you can see, the design deals with "the elements" quite well:
https://youtu.be/6iUMRY-qK40 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #494436 Mon Apr 25 2016 10:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1