RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > 'Transmission range change not available' fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

tom0311

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black
'Transmission range change not available' fault

Hi all,

Have searched for this on the forum and found a few possible issues. Brake lights are all working fine, but I haven't checked the connector under the transmission selector. This fault popped up just as I pulled into my road after taking the car to Stratford and back. A good 100 miles and the car seemed fine. It also seems fine to drive while this fault is showing.

I have a *really* important work thing to get to tomorrow, should I risk the 80 mile round trip or should I get it into the workshop again ASAP? I don't need to switch between special programs at all.

Cheers

EDIT: I've just seen I should have posted this in the technical or general area instead. Sorry about that. If a mod could move the thread that would be useful.

Last edited by tom0311 on Mon Apr 18 2016 11:46am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #493728 Sun Apr 17 2016 8:58pm
tom0311

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

12.6v at the battery, no corrosion on the terminals. Hoping it's a switch or connector somewhere. The fault appeared when I hit one of the many pot holes round here.

Post #493731 Sun Apr 17 2016 9:15pm
tom0311

Switching programs and changing to lo mode genuinely doesn't work. Guess I'll try disconnecting the battery, leaving it 30 mins or so then reconnecting and seeing if the error reappears.

EDIT: Well I would if I could get the negative terminal off the battery. No chance. I guess there is corrosion there after all... looks reasonably clean though Sad

Post #493734 Sun Apr 17 2016 9:30pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The fault could be as simple as the wire to the solenoid being detached. Could be something in the transfer box itself. The message does get shown if there is an overheat but

The problem is that there are several possible reasons for the warning message so codes need to be read.

Here's some reading about the transfer box if it helps. There is a bit about error messages:
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...%20box.pdf 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #493753 Sun Apr 17 2016 11:00pm
tom0311

Thanks for that. Just realised I was trying to change to low while in park, not neutral. Will try again in the morning. Hopefully just a connection. Owned it 10 days and it's been in the workshop for 5! I'll get the error read in the morning.

Post #493755 Sun Apr 17 2016 11:22pm
tom0311

Nope definitely can't change from high to low or use any special programs. 'Special programs not available' or something. Taking it into the garage as soon as they open. Praying it's not the ECU that needs changing due to corrosion... although hopefully the garage will foot the bill as I've only actually driven it on 5 journeys, only 3 of which have been fault free.

Post #493759 Mon Apr 18 2016 8:21am
tom0311

Terminal wasn't corroded, just what it looked like in the dark. They loosened the terminal a bit, it was on too tight. Cleared the fault, took it for a good 20 min spin, didn't reappear. They checked all the connections, one of which was a bit loose, so sorted that. I checked changing from high ti low, different programs, suspension levels as well. All good. Drove it home, around 15 minute journey covering all speed limits. Good as gold until I parked it outside my house, tried to go to low mode and it's now locked in that mode with the same faults freshly thrown up on the dash.

Going to try a hard reset with the battery terminals now, see if that brings it out of low mode, otherwise the garage will have to come and get it Crying or Very sad

Post #493767 Mon Apr 18 2016 11:22am
PEACHY

England 

Big Cry Not having much luck are you Big Cry have you got to the stage where you wished you hadn't bothered yet Crying or Very sad 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #493769 Mon Apr 18 2016 11:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tom0311

Already there, Peachy. When it drives well (which is does right now, bar the faults, and when it isn't stuck in 'low') I love it. It's the only vehicle I've sat in that doesn't aggravate my sciatic issues post-operation. However I travel as part of my job and so far I've been able to drive it to work 3 times. Getting a bit boring now, to be honest. I bet the chap who sold it to me wishes he never took it in.

Seems I'm within my rights to get my money back within 30 days if the car isn't fit for purpose (which it isn't at the moment), so I reckon if this is a major underlying fault I'll get rid of it and get something else. What that something else might be, I've no idea.

Post #493770 Mon Apr 18 2016 11:49am
tom0311

No luck with hard reset. Garage coming to pick it up and leaving me the Merc cabriolet again. I can't fault them really, lovely chaps, hopefully they can sort it this time round.

Unfortunately I am convinced that if I were to get something else instead, it would just be another range rover (and probably the SC which I really can't afford to run). Perhaps I'm better off sticking it out with this one for the first month or two, and ending up with a good vehicle after. See how it goes I guess.

Post #493771 Mon Apr 18 2016 1:09pm
RRSTDV8

Have they read the DTCs? They're just messing around in the dark until they do. The codes will likely point to a specific issue that is causing the symptoms.

Changing between high and low range requires the switch to work, the TCM to work, the solenoid to work, the range/diff control motor to work and the mode change sensor to work. Oh, and the car needs to see that it's in neutral although that throws a specific message on the dash. Failure of any of these will throw a code. My guess is a wiring short or similar to the solenoid/motor/sensor. Note: the solenoid and motor also control the locking centre diff - well, the motor does, the solenoid defaults to diff mode instead of range change mode when not energised.

The wiring to these bits is all "hanging in the breeze" underneath so is exposed to possible mechanical damage. Might have been off roaded by some former owner, after all. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #493785 Mon Apr 18 2016 2:11pm
tom0311

They did read the code, yeah. I can't remember what it was to be honest. Should have written it down. What the code pointed towards all looked fine, so they reset it to see if it would come back. As it originally happened when I went over a bump they're thinking along the lines of wiring/connectors, as am I.

They've just taken it back so they'll read it again and get it sorted. Hoping it is back soon. Back in the E class cabriolet until it's done which is f-series uncomfortable. No charge and all very apologetic, fingers crossed.

Post #493789 Mon Apr 18 2016 2:28pm
tom0311

They've checked all the wiring and connections. No corrosion at the transmission ECU, no real faults found anywhere. They've also been in contact with the LR expert mechanics (can't remember what they call themselves) who advised that they reroute the wiring to the transmission ECU a bit so it's more out of the way of moving parts. They suspected that when the suspension flexes a lot it can knock connections about a bit.

They've taken it out a few times today and the fault hasn't come back at all since they rerouted the wiring. Getting it back this evening. Fingers crossed (again)!

Post #493951 Tue Apr 19 2016 2:37pm
tom0311

Thankfully it all seems good now. Lucky as I managed to shove a chisel into the side of my thumb last night so I needed it to get to JR just now. After getting back from A&E at 4am this morning I'd have flipped if it broke down today.

Back to enjoying it for now Smile

Post #494014 Wed Apr 20 2016 10:32am
RRSTDV8

Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #494029 Wed Apr 20 2016 5:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1