RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > How to tell the use of a RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

IRBails

Australia 
How to tell the use of a RRS

Well I got to thinking after cleaning my car today that most owners may never experience cleaning this area. You see if you happen to use the car for what it is supposed to be, the best SUV in the world ? Then you will discover what I discovered.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Clean car on the outside but lots of dirt collected on the inside . Also dirt , dust , get into the lower door areas. Have got it all cleaned now but there are quite a few areas that dust could end up that I will never be able to get to , like the boot hinge recesses. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #492477 Sat Apr 02 2016 10:38am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

At least it didn't get into the cabin! It is actually one way to tell what sort of use a used modern Land Rover product has had, look in all the out of the way places for mud deposits and underneath for scratches and bashes from severe off-road use......... So few do get used hard off-road that buyers forget to look for that sort of damage/ signs of a hard life. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #492486 Sat Apr 02 2016 11:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trops

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Fuji White

That is not good, I would be having the seals checked. It would present a major issue wading to the 850mm depth LR advertises. These cars are supposed to be sealed tighter than a fishes you know what.

Post #492511 Sat Apr 02 2016 2:09pm
BKHK

Australia 

Did you have the AC on recirculate? Recirculate draws extra dust into the car if you are on dirt. When I am in the Kimberly, usually in a rental Pajero (and they are great in the bush) I always have the AC on normal unless I get behind a dust making tourist with a caravan, I don't stay behind them for long, rental cars go faster. Laughing

Post #492517 Sat Apr 02 2016 2:41pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Looks like you don't have the infamous "Boot Gap" 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #492540 Sat Apr 02 2016 7:38pm
IRBails

Australia 

Trops wrote:
That is not good, I would be having the seals checked. It would present a major issue wading to the 850mm depth LR advertises. These cars are supposed to be sealed tighter than a fishes you know what.

There are no seals there, this is before the seal , all RRS will have this dust if the owners own them for more than pose effect ! Hence the thread topic. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #492550 Sat Apr 02 2016 10:28pm
IRBails

Australia 

BKHK wrote:
Did you have the AC on recirculate? Recirculate draws extra dust into the car if you are on dirt. When I am in the Kimberly, usually in a rental Pajero (and they are great in the bush) I always have the AC on normal unless I get behind a dust making tourist with a caravan, I don't stay behind them for long, rental cars go faster. Laughing

A?C was normal and as stated will make no difference as the dust is before the seal. On my R50 all doors were double sealed outer and inner so this would not occur. I am not concerned but from the responses so far does not look like many owners are going to travel off road? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #492551 Sat Apr 02 2016 10:30pm
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

It's never dry enough long enough for dust here, just swathes of wet mud..

Post #492563 Sun Apr 03 2016 7:56am
jpegnall

United Kingdom 

andman wrote:
Looks like you don't have the infamous "Boot Gap"

What is the boot gap?

Post #492582 Sun Apr 03 2016 10:45am
IRBails

Australia 

R444SPT wrote:
It's never dry enough long enough for dust here, just swathes of wet mud..

Hired an X6 when in the UK last year , got some pretty ordinary weather a few days when driving North to Scotland , but had great weather in Scotland , apparently we lucked it for the only sunny days they have each year?

I think you will find mud will ingress in this space as well , not to the same standards as dust . I am yet to try mud but have had plenty of wet drives and some in very wild weather , water does get in around the rear hatch, only before the seal, when washing the car so I'd imagine mud will also ingress to this space. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #492630 Sun Apr 03 2016 10:45pm
BKHK

Australia 

Your post said "Clean car on the outside but lots of dirt collected on the inside"

Your suggestion of dirt on the inside was why I asked about the AC.....

Post #492651 Mon Apr 04 2016 12:20pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

BKHK wrote:

Sorry for being thick, but why does recirculated air draw MORE dust into the car? 

Post #492657 Mon Apr 04 2016 3:44pm
BKHK

Australia 

Pindan or Bull Dust here in some parts of the country will get in anywhere. When I drive hundreds of miles in the Kimberly, I have red dust in my hair, stuck to any sweaty parts of my shirt etc.

All 4WD rental companies ask you to not use recirculated air. The following is from their blurb

positive air pressure, inside your 4WD, is created when you allow the outside air to enter your vehicle and create a 'buffer' on the inside. Allowing this air to enter the car means switching the fresh/recirculate control to fresh. Similar to a highly inflated balloon, air enters the car through the front vents and can't escape through the rear, creating a high pressure zone inside the car. This creates a wall like effect that 'punches' through the dusty atmosphere holding the dust at bay.
Good rear sealing means the air enters quicker than it can escape under the pressure of forward motion. Turning the fan on to high means even more air is forced inside further pressurizing the cabin. Driving with the air conditioner on creates denser air inside the cabin - providing an even 'stiffer' wall to hold out the dust.

From repeated drives, it seems to have some truth, unless you are following another vehicle of course but I am generally not following anyone.

Post #492660 Mon Apr 04 2016 4:25pm
wilf

That obviously assumes that there is a good and well sealed cabin air intake filter.

How long before that gets choked with dust under those conditions? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #492682 Mon Apr 04 2016 8:07pm
IRBails

Australia 

My observation , and it is only that , is the RRS isn't sealed as well as my R50. I do a lot of dirt road and cannot remember smelling dust in my R50 . This is not meant as a comparison just an observation and my memory could be way out , aging that is!

If following re circulation is where the A/C needs to be set . M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #492699 Mon Apr 04 2016 9:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>