RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > L494 - anyone piling on the motorway mileage ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Spike67

United Kingdom 
L494 - anyone piling on the motorway mileage ?

My original plan of 2 cars - a commuter one and a 62 plate RRS is falling by the wayside, been doing some calcs and may just go for 3.0sdv6 in latest guise - just wondered if anyone was doing motorway commutes how they were bearing up ? realistic mpg's/ comfort/reliability etc etc

Cheers

Post #487684 Tue Feb 16 2016 8:28pm
whippetman

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Oct 2013 HSE Dynamic to date 48,000 miles all good Thumbs Up
34 mpg best motorway
26 mpg avg urban

Post #487686 Tue Feb 16 2016 8:40pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I don't think that they count as "commutes" in the conventional sense of the word but my 2015 SDv6 HSE Dynmic has now racked up 5 lengths of the M74/M6/M40 and a couple of runs along the M4 and M3 in 11months, and 5 of those months it has sat on my drive and moved nowhere as I have been working abroad...... If I keep to the legal limit then I can get 35+mpg out of it, worst so far has been 28 and a whole tank of diesel to get from Hanger Lane, West London to Stirling at well above my normal 70mph cruise as I was enjoying the by then run in car. The problem is unlike any of my previous RRS's and FFRR's this car is sooooooo easy to drive WAY faster than you would normally. Previous RRS's and FFRR's have been superb for this kind of driving, don't get me wrong, but the RRS2 with the 3.0ltr just flies at the slightest press on the gas pedal without even being in Sport mode or Dynamic Mode (or even both together, which makes it most "unRange Roveriish"). Normally I can do the nigh on 375 mile drive each way on just over ¾ of a tank of diesel, when pressing on it I was worrying about arriving on vapours as the range left in tank decreased at an alarming rate in the trip computer, but I made it and then found I had a good 10litres left in the tank when I drove into the Sainsbury's forecourt just off the M9 at Stirling, so now I know that the TC is not that accurate! It is a very comfortable car (as was RRS1 in both the TDv6 and the TDv8 versions I had) but their 100ltr fuel tank alway left me with at least a ¼ tank after pounding along the Stirling to London run. RRS2 has a smaller tank, but is lighter and more efficicent at cutting through the air. The car is easy to drive at the legal limit if you to, it has both a Speed Limter control device where it simply will not go over the limit that you set (great for average speed cam sections in road works) or the cruise control which is not adaptive but conventional (adaptive is an option though on SDv6 HSE). I've not yet had mine fully loaded on a long run or pulled my trailer (it only a weany one from Ivor Williams anyway) so don't know what effect towing or my roof box have on consumption, the biggest load I've squeezed in it was 5 x 19" Evoque wheels and tyres, the boot is not as good as in RRS1 because of the stupid way the RRS2 rear seats fold that doesn't allow the rear seat to fold flat, also the very useful under rear bench hide away is not there on RRS2. It is a fantastic mile crunching car though, as were my previous two RRS's it just does it that bit better than them! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #487694 Tue Feb 16 2016 8:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Spike67

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Good to know, cheers both

And Tim - you've sold it to me ! Rolling with laughter

Post #487701 Tue Feb 16 2016 9:11pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I bought mine after a disasterous year in an Evoque with the plan to sell on my other car and have one car that could do everything I needed from the 2nd car but also do it in comfort and be able to pound the motorways too. The problem has been that my 2nd car is a 20 year old TDi300 Defender 90 and now I cannot bring myself to sell it................ it would be like selling a member of the family Big Cry So mission remains unaccomplished! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #487720 Tue Feb 16 2016 10:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

I circumnavigate the M25 every day and have clocked up 25,000 miles in my first year of ownership with my 494 sdv6... Fabulous car and I average 35-36 mpg.....superb commuting machine...when the traffics bad I just turn up the stereo!

Post #487744 Tue Feb 16 2016 11:24pm
Spike67

United Kingdom 

No Tim, never sell the Defender...

And Farmer Chalk's just put the tin lid on it - new plan is go.... Cool

Post #487748 Wed Feb 17 2016 12:00am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Coming up 26,000 in my 63 HSE Dynamic. I drive a mix of roads from single track country lanes to motorways.

3 of my daughters are currently in Plymouth at Uni and working so once every 2 months or so I blast the 275 mile (each way) to pop down and see them.

Depending on the time of day, if the motorway is empty, it is hard not to let your speed creep up. The L494 is a fantastically stable and smooth vehicle at all speeds, and it can feel as if you are at "walking speed" untill you glance down and see 3 figures on the speedo....

On a trip I get around the 32 - 35 mpg mark. I'm sure that if I set the cruise control at 70mph I would be getting late 30's / early 40's.

A comfortable, responsive, stable and safe car that eats the miles.

Jim

Post #487753 Wed Feb 17 2016 4:51am
Spike67

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up cheers Jim. late 30's mpg sounds promising....

Post #487789 Wed Feb 17 2016 1:42pm
BigBen

United Kingdom 

Done 21k (TDV6) and often getting high 30's and sometimes very low 40's cruising on motorway at min70mph. Based on past experience I decided to specify 19inch wheels. These do not use low profile tyres and thus have standard Pirelli verdes. Not only are these much more comfortable and feel bumps a lot less, I am sure they give better mpg. It has been very noticeable when I have had loan cars with low profiles how much difference there is in comfort and rolling noise levels. The only problem with 19 as opposed to 20 is no off road tyres are available for 19.

Post #487889 Thu Feb 18 2016 11:50am
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Coming up to 27k in my S/C - excellent for the commute, long trips from Scotland to the Kent Coast are a breeze, switch on the massage seats and you are golden! 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #487890 Thu Feb 18 2016 11:53am
Spike67

United Kingdom 

S/C is a nice thought but a bit out of my budget to be fair.. Thumbs Up

How much do wives & children fetch on the open market these days ? Rolling with laughter

Post #487896 Thu Feb 18 2016 12:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1