RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Strange question (possibly)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Spike67

United Kingdom 
Strange question (possibly)

Bit of a lifestyle change coming up - moving to the sticks and thus about an 90 mile round trip to work, so going to get rid of BMW and (finally) come back to the RRS fold - BUT - I want a good workhorse to commute in (4 days a week) - mainly motorway, want something comfy but decent mpg.(50 +) Don't give a monkey's too much as it will be purely to commute in and the mileage will pile up. It needs to last 5 years. The RRS will be for weekends and a bit of work for my online biz fetching & carrying.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Post #486470 Wed Feb 03 2016 4:51pm
Bladeboy

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

You could worse than a Merc- one with a 3.0 v6 diesel. E280 for example. Not quite 50 mpg but 40 is doable.,hugely comfy, very quick and nicely put together.

Post #486479 Wed Feb 03 2016 6:52pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Just out of interest, what BMW are you getting rid of? I would have thought a 330d would be perfect for a 90 mile daily round trip. 50+ mpg easily. Failing that, probably you will be looking at a VW Golf diesel or a Seat TDI.
Beancounter has a nice Disco 4 for sale as an alternative to the RRS if you are open to suggestions.

Post #486495 Wed Feb 03 2016 9:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I used to commute 75 miles each way, mainly dual & m/way in/out of London. I test-drove a variety of German & other things but in the end I bought a Volvo XC70 D5, which was perfect for the job.

Good enough road-holding and great for all conditions. 45mpg at m/way speeds (50+ once I chipped it), good load capability but the big thing was that it was comfy. Really supportive seats and air suspension which took all the firmness out of it, just made the whole journey a lot more pleasant and less tiring.

If you are interested in following this route, test a normal V70 against an XC70 and feel the difference in ride.

It was also pretty reliable & I put 200,000 miles on in 5 years with few issues. I have contemplated getting another it was so good but I can't justify 2 cars at the moment!

Post #486500 Wed Feb 03 2016 9:17pm
Spike67

United Kingdom 

Ady it's a 3 series estate - but under contract hire thro business. I absolutely hate it. Great in sport mode for Censored off boy racers, but otherwise not for me.

Just want something comfy and mpg-tastic.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll get my ready reckoner out and do some sums.

Post #486551 Thu Feb 04 2016 10:53am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I use my TDV8 to commute 95 mile round trip plus 30-50 miles a day out-and-about for the job. But then I bought it to use it.

£600/month on diesel is the price one pays for driving what one wants to drive... Rolling with laughter No, I don't have kids to feed. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #486606 Thu Feb 04 2016 10:37pm
Spike67

United Kingdom 

Very Happy Yeah bread & water will only be tolerated for so long.. Rolling with laughter

Post #486614 Fri Feb 05 2016 12:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1