RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Exterior black plastic trim - best polish/treatment question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Triumph_Dave

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Exterior black plastic trim - best polish/treatment question

As we all know, the door A pillars and back pillars of the Sport have a highly polished black plastic trim that looks great until the protective covers are taken off them at new, then you only have to look at them to micro-scratch.. Laughing

My question is : Some of the forum members have managed to polish out the micro scratch's on the plastic without having to resort to Black "filler" polish like Poor boys Black.. So what is the best polish to take out the micro swirls/scratch's and once nice again what is the best coating to try and stop the micro scratch reappearing.. I would imagine the polish would have to be ultra fine to prevent a "haze" finish to the plastic.

My own car has only had snow foam applied by me over the plastics and no washing cloth contact, but the dealer has washed the car several times after the multiple visits to fix "issues". so now i also have the issue of micro swirls and scratch's on the plastic.. Sad D4 2012 Santorini Black gone
RRS 2013 Santorini HSE Black gone
MY2016 RRS HSE Dynamic arrived September, but will it stay.. maybe not.

Post #485876 Wed Jan 27 2016 3:53pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Hi,

Every few months I go over my car with Swissvax Nano Express and that gets rid of the small scratches on the black plastic. It is pretty annoying how quickly they get scratched and I sometimes go weeks without using my car and it is covered and garaged when not in use! Worse still is that you only have to think about the piano black interior for that to scratch! But that's another story.....

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #485878 Wed Jan 27 2016 4:40pm
jpegnall

United Kingdom 

I've been been been been detailing in anticipation of my March delivery. This has a really useful section on plastic exterior trim although goes into more detail than you would ever want!

http://www.detailingspot.com/?page_id=21

Post #485909 Wed Jan 27 2016 10:25pm
Triumph_Dave

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Thanks for the link.. lots of info but mainly about restoring faded trim back to factory look, the issue with the RRS is that it has highly polished/finished exterior plastic trim that is VERY vulnerable to scratching. I need to find an ultra fine polish that has been proven to polish out the scratch's but not leave a haze on the plastic. D4 2012 Santorini Black gone
RRS 2013 Santorini HSE Black gone
MY2016 RRS HSE Dynamic arrived September, but will it stay.. maybe not.

Post #485923 Thu Jan 28 2016 10:39am
wilf

I got rid of some scratches on my A pillar trim with gold old fashioned T cut.

Pretty sure that the mildest Farecla cutting fluid (Paint Renovator or G10?) would also do the trick.

http://www.farecla.com/automotive/compound...g-compound MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #485942 Thu Jan 28 2016 2:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1