RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Reduced performance in colder temperatures?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

malcolmw

United Kingdom 

Of course, as you say, you can manually override the auto functions but this relies on you knowing that you have to do this and what the car does in different conditions. There is no mention of this feature in the handbook. A single sentence under the ice warning light notes would be sufficient. BTW, there is also no mention of the ice warning light going red as noted above. Regards

Malcolm

Post #485445 Fri Jan 22 2016 11:21am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Hmmmm...we were down to -5C the other night and my ice warning just stayed amber?

Post #485451 Fri Jan 22 2016 11:44am
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

Mine too! Regards

Malcolm

Post #485453 Fri Jan 22 2016 11:56am
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

jim4244 wrote:
Hmmmm...we were down to -5C the other night and my ice warning just stayed amber?

In the las few days we have temperatures down to -10C and the snowflake (which has been on since October) remained Amber!

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #485459 Fri Jan 22 2016 1:14pm
wilf

I have to say, that nowhere does JLR seem to publish exactly what happens in each of the TR modes. Would be interesting to read.

Jock - you may have worn your red snowflake out. Laughing MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #485465 Fri Jan 22 2016 2:26pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

wilf wrote:
I have to say, that nowhere does JLR seem to publish exactly what happens in each of the TR modes. Would be interesting to read.

This was posted by another member here. 11 year old document but not everything would have changed since then. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #485466 Fri Jan 22 2016 3:07pm
wilf

Thanks - that was a very interesting read. In particular the very slow build of torque in the grass/gravel/snow program explains why we feel like "nothing is happening" if it switches in without our realising it. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #485468 Fri Jan 22 2016 3:28pm
Carlo

If you are keeping in auto then you are missing the dynamic mode on the motorway, changes the handling so much it feels like a different car altogether, but in my car the auto does not do this automatically when you drive sportily on motorway, not that automatic!!

Post #485577 Sun Jan 24 2016 12:30am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Carlo, bearing in mind the off road capablities of the vehicle there is no way I would want mine to automatically go into Dynamic mode when I take it offroad, which I do frequently. Better that it remains a driver selected option. Also Dynamic isn't meant for motorway driving it is meant for twisty backroad driving! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #485584 Sun Jan 24 2016 8:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Carlo

I agree just making point that if mikef folows salesmans advice to keep in auto all the time his is not exploring the true potential of the vehicle.

Post #485605 Sun Jan 24 2016 11:13am
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

Let's look at this another way. Did anyone know prior to this discussion that the ATR sets itself to GGS at low temperatures? I certainly didn't. The point here is to do with informing the driver what the car systems do whether this is via the handbook or via a salesman's presentation.

How many LR sales people do you think know about this feature? A lot fewer than those that know about the dynamic setting, I'd bet. Regards

Malcolm

Post #485631 Sun Jan 24 2016 2:43pm
wilf

Carlo wrote:
If you are keeping in auto then you are missing the dynamic mode on the motorway, changes the handling so much it feels like a different car altogether, but in my car the auto does not do this automatically when you drive sportily on motorway, not that automatic!!

Carlo - very interesting. In all seriousness, exactly what changes do you perceive when selecting "dynamic" TR mode on a motorway? They must be pretty significant if you feel the car is transformed so much. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #485701 Mon Jan 25 2016 9:20am
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I keep mine in dynamic for about 90% of the time I am on the motorway, its more for peace of mind though, incase I have to perform evasive and swift lane changes etc, for me that is the only reason....oh that and those pesky sales reps who like to sit 0.1" from my bumper Thumbs Up 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #485713 Mon Jan 25 2016 12:05pm
gwengler

Canada 

Could it be that Land Rover has the auto TR mode go into GGS at lower temperatures (I confirmed this on my MY16 RR TD6) to potentially force drivers into lower RPMs because that's easier on the engine at low temperatures (oil etc.)?

Post #485910 Wed Jan 27 2016 10:46pm
Renaco

Germany 

in my 40.000 km with the L494 Dynamic I noted the logic follwowing:

AUTO MODE:
Switches between all modes depending on driving style, speed, wheater, temperature
Also it is a bit stiffer suspension and slightly more direkt as in "regular" mode.

REGULAR MODE:
Is fix, and is a bit more comfy than in auto mode, softest setup, softest shifting programme, to feel the real old RR ride.

DYNAMIC MODE:
Is fix, makes the suspension and steering stronger, and shifts different, bit sporty and more re-active.

All modes are good to drive save and auto mode is really great. last week i was goning on the dry highway 220 with the automaticly selected stiffer setup, then i left into the winter roads and then offroad and the setting where always perfect seletcted.
Winter mode is surprising, but never a risk as if you feel the car responses slower, you just push the pedal and the full power is there..., if needed.

Post #485937 Thu Jan 28 2016 1:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12