RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Low fuel warning on a full tank, then judder and cut-out!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Ovey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Low fuel warning on a full tank, then judder and cut-out!

As the title really; my MY10 3.0TDV6 RRS showed the low fuel light on tuesday (correct indication as fuel was low). I filled it up with £70 diesel on wednesday but the low fuel indication didn't go away. On friday I booked it into LR (on the 19th) for them to have a look at (after seeing information about a modification to the fuel sender on here).

However, today I started it up and it juddered every 10 seconds or so while ticking over, and while driving it juddered and snatched for about half a mile (at that point I turned round and came home). On the way home the car cut out on me 3 times (once on a bend, and is that steering heavy without power-assist), but started fine after stopping and re-starting.

Does anyone have any potential quick fixes, as the 4x4 mechanics in the area all seem to be closed and I need the car on monday!

Thanks. Current: Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE in Stornoway Grey
Previous: Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Zambezi Silver

Post #475926 Sat Oct 10 2015 1:31pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Wiring issue in the OSF wheel arch is fairly common, or a faulty sender unit, inside the tank

Post #475927 Sat Oct 10 2015 2:12pm
Ovey

Thanks Disco_Mikey, I can only see wiring for the brakes (sensors I assume) in the OSF wheel arch? Whereabouts is the wiring for the fuel system?

Fit's the sender then I already have it booked in for the 19th with LR, but it's become a little more terminal than just showing low fuel now! Current: Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE in Stornoway Grey

Post #475928 Sat Oct 10 2015 2:16pm
Ovey

It turned out to be the fuel sender/fuel sender loom, which I had to pay for due to the car being 37 months outside warranty. (LR offer "goodwill" for 36 months outside of warranty apparently; although I suspect their goodwill lasts one month less than the age of ANY car)!

The car was with Guy Salmon LR in Portsmouth for over a week as a breakdown, and they didn't put it onto the ramp until 1545 on the day that it was originally booked in to have the work done, prior to breaking down!

When I asked why it was going on the ramp so late for a quoted "2 hour job" I was told that recoveries had taken priority; when I pointed out that mine was brought in as a recovery the week before and should have been seen to earlier under that mentality, they back-tracked and said "sorry, I mean booked jobs take priority over recoveries". I then said mine was booked for this date (despite breaking down the week before) so either way it should have been done before close of play on the day it was booked.

Guy Salmon LR in Portsmouth also strangely added bits that didn't need doing to the jobcard (another vehicles defects!!), and when I asked them about them, they failed to take them off the jobcard. It was only when I asked why a 2 hour job, starting at 1545 was going to take longer than that day to complete that they realised and took the jobs off. I eventually got my car back the day after it was originally booked in, but they had it for 10 days in total.

Guy Salmon LR in Portsmouth have been a joke. Stay away!

However the car is fully repaired, with a clean bill of health, valeted and back to me now! It's now up for sale as I don't need it to pull my boat trailer any more. Current: Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE in Stornoway Grey

Last edited by Ovey on Mon Oct 26 2015 2:11pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #477299 Wed Oct 21 2015 4:25pm
Ovey

And the business manager of Guy Salmon Portsmouth has just been on the phone to me - she's going to credit my card with the bill amount and has told me to take the wife out for a meal and send her the bill (she'll send me a cheque)!!

I suppose that makes up for the messing about! Rolling with laughter Current: Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE in Stornoway Grey

Post #477402 Thu Oct 22 2015 4:05pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Now I am concerned Censored

ours went to low fuel warning on Friday when we had 1/4 tank but just to make sure filled it up, only way to know for sure then how much we have in the tank Confused

car is booked in for a service in a few weeks asked on the D3 side if could be any issues and Robbie's reply was just what you have experienced
Have spoke to Duckworths and service brought forward to next week but they have never had a breakdown due to the warning so I was not toooooo worried But now I am Censored

Post #477781 Sun Oct 25 2015 8:43pm
Ovey

Yeah, as it was explained to me, the car "starts a mileage count-down timer" as the low fuel warning appears. The ECM doesn't know it is spurious (due to dodgy tank sender) so it believes the owner is ignoring the low fuel warning and eventually gives you a couple of splutters (to warn you it's going to cut out) and then cuts out in order to prevent you from running out of fuel (not a good thing to do in modern RRS/Discos).

It lets you restart, but goes through the cycle regularly (every 100-200 yards, as I found out when trying to nurse it the last half mile home).

Good call to bring your service forward! Current: Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE in Stornoway Grey

Post #477845 Mon Oct 26 2015 2:09pm
awhittle

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

@Ovey I have exact the same issue on my 2011 RRS - fuel light, then gone to juddering, now cuts out, but starts again every time.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the repair ?

Thanks for the post, been quick to find what the problem is

AWhittle

Post #484645 Tue Jan 12 2016 11:33pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

it may be worth you talking to a main dealer Question

I have the landrover warranty...... but..... they declined the claim as "a known L/R issue" Censored

they contacted L/R customer relations who agreed to pay for the repair Thumbs Up

cost nowt Smile

Post #484780 Thu Jan 14 2016 11:58pm
Ovey

Hi all,

the repair was around £225 for the replacement of the fuel sender and loom.

However, due to an almighty customer service cock-up, the Guy Salmon Portsmouth business manager gave me my money back and paid for a meal out for me and my wife! Current: Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE in Stornoway Grey

Post #485126 Mon Jan 18 2016 4:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1