RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRS 2006 Exclusive package of problems :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

JoeBonf

United Kingdom 
RRS 2006 Exclusive package of problems :)

Hi All,

I have recently introduced myself despite i have been reading you guys for long time.

The moment of joy finally came last month when i purchased from a car dealer a RRS 2.7 tdv6 with 115.000 miles on the clock.
Pointless to say i felt in love with the car as soon as i saw and drove it, yes I DROVE IT and everything seemed to be smooth to me as we went on a straight road for few miles. The engine sounds clean and the car seemed perfect on everything, however, now that a month passed and i drove it quite regularly i spotted the following issues:

1) Rev needle fluctuating when under load. fine when the car is cold but when on temperature and especially uphill, it judders a bit. Assuming it's the torque converter

2) Airplane-like noise from 30mph, becoming very noisy at about 80mph to the point you can barely speak. Assuming it's the differential, either front or back or maybe both.

3) Checked the service book, the car has been serviced regularly, however, i don't see anything mentioning the timing belt has been done. I found myself now with a 115K car with no timing belt done. Do you guys advise me to do it asap as priority or can it stay few more miles?

4) I noticed when taking off a bit faster than normal (as if you take off nicely you don't notice at all) few little bangs coming from under the car. Please note that this is not the typical "minigun shoot" that i have seen on videos but something more like " Tac..1 second gap...tac tac". No assumption here and i have no clue.

Overall, i love this car and despite i was thinking i did the wrong choice i am determined to keep it and fix as much as i can despite i don't have much money right now.

The engine runs clean and also it doesn't seem to have any gearbox fault or nothing. Also, never showed any warning light on the dashboard.

Thanks in advance,

Joe Current: RRS 06 with 115.000miles
Garage: 1967 Shelby GT 500 fully restored with 13.000miles
Garage: 1973 Buick Riviera boat-tail 455 engine with 55.000 original miles

Owned previously for everyday use: BMW X3 3.0d

Wife: 2006 Mini Cooper S (trying to explain her she would look much better on a 80' Defender)

Post #483569 Wed Dec 30 2015 3:33pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Welcome Joe. Thumbs Up

TBH, from what you've said, I would be getting the engine map checked; all those symptoms could have been caused, or exacerbated, by a bad remap. TC judder and a howling diff sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me. Sad

3 - Yes, you must get it done ASAP, and get the oil pump changed at the same time (what age is it - this is even more important if 07/08MY?) - look up the oil pump/cam belt tensioner issue. Thumbs Up

4 - Can you expand a little? It could be as above, due to being remapped (perhaps badly) but failing EGRs can also make the car appear to "take off" a bit - with initial lag though.

The main thing is, you've purchased the car from a dealer and so it is his responsibility to fix it - the law is now very clear on this. You may now have a battle on your hands, but stick with it. Wink

Good luck. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #483576 Wed Dec 30 2015 5:04pm
JoeBonf

United Kingdom 

Thanks a lot for your response. I am not a newbie in terms of old engines however, i am completely new to LR and what tricked me is that when i tested the vehicle on the road it was going smooth and not having any hill covered the rev needle issue as the road was straight.

I am also very scared of the damage it can create when snapping a timing belt therefore i won't use the car for now and at least until i get this fixed.

I contacted the dealer 10 days ago for the torque converter problem and he the car to a garage he trusts, however, they replaced the EGR valve as they found it was a faulty one but did not change the TC.

I reported that the problem is still there and he agreed to get this fixed from a garage i know and therefore on Monday i will leave my car with them.

I feel sorry for them they have to add now even the timing belt work on it but it's not my fault as it should have been done before selling the car.

Thanks for your explanation and the engine map check will be another thing on the "to do" list.

Joe. Current: RRS 06 with 115.000miles

Wife: 2006 Mini Cooper S (trying to explain her she would look much better on a 80' Defender)

Post #483580 Wed Dec 30 2015 5:30pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

Quote:
I am also very scared of the damage it can create when snapping a timing belt therefore i won't use the car for now and at least until i get this fixed.

Take some time to read through this: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic57636.html This is why we now always recommend that the oil pump be changed when the cam belts are done on the 2.7 TDV6. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #483581 Wed Dec 30 2015 5:38pm
JoeBonf

United Kingdom 

Quick update guys:

I was reading through the papers and despite the last service stamp on the service book was 2 years ago and at 100k listing only service 1 (oil, filters) i went through the mot papers and i discovered the previous owner changed the timing belt at 100k for a total of 450inc vat.
I checked the reviews of this garage and it truly has 5 star over hundreds reviews from people qualifying them as honest and professional.

Not sure if he also changed the oil pump etc... as it only says "timing belt kit".
It looks like he did quite few services and the last one at 115k ( so right before giving me the car) lists the following:

air filter
pollen filter
fuel filter
oil filter
fuel cleaner
oil
sundries and consumables

he also changed the alternator, fan belt and auxiliary tensioner so i consider myself not that unlucky.

My only concern is if together with the timing belt they also changed the oil pump considering it only says timing belt kit.

I feel a bit better knowing this has been done.

Oh, on the MOT paper it shows almost in all of the services and MOT a different number plate from the one i have, i am assuming he had a private number plate, am i wrong in thinking this?

Joe. Current: RRS 06 with 115.000miles

Post #483604 Wed Dec 30 2015 10:04pm
Bladeboy

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

I'm in the same boat mate- my belts were done by the supplying dealer (non LR) when I bought the car, only because I'd picked up it should have been done at 7 years, but I've never been confident they did it. Will probably get it done again It's next service just in case!

Post #483607 Wed Dec 30 2015 10:28pm
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Don't feel sorry the timing bets are easy, the pump belt is more awkward but if they've got the gearbox out then that's also easy Thumbs Up 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #483613 Wed Dec 30 2015 10:55pm
garrycol

Australia 

Yep brilliant design that - why they didnt put the fuel pump up the front and run off the cam belt (or at the rear off a chain) is beyond me.

Common on east west engines but stupid on north south engines.

I dont think the TDV6 is used in any vehicle in a east west configuration so was no need at the design stage.

Designers should be forced to work on vehicles they have designed.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #483621 Thu Dec 31 2015 4:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1