RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Has Land Rover being fudging their emissions tests like VW?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 
Has Land Rover being fudging their emissions tests like VW?

After reading the stories about VW's smart emissions test avoidance software you have to think that wll other car makers are doing similar things. Do you think this is endemic across the industry and could it mean diesel cars will be legislated off the roads?

I guess this story could have a serious impact on the value of our cars whether LR have been fudging or not.

Post #473964 Wed Sep 23 2015 11:42am
garrycol

Australia 

I doubt that LR have been fudging - until the current diesel RR and RRS, LR diesels were not sold in the US as they did not meet requirements. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #473975 Wed Sep 23 2015 12:38pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

All car manufacturers deliberately design their engine mapping to ensure their engines perform optimally in emissions and fuel consumption tests so you could argue that all car manufacturers fiddle the tests. I would be very surprised if a good number of those manufacturers, like VW, did not incorporate defeat software which recognises that the engine is undergoing a test procedure and alters it's calibration accordingly. It would also be amazing if other manufacturers did not realise that VW were doing this and did not decide to do the same

However at the moment, VW has only been exposed as having used this technique for engines undergoing US EPA tests and there is no evidence that they have been doing the same for European EC tests. But yes, if VW and other manufacturers were found to be doing something similar in EC tests, one could imagine a UK govt bowing to pressure from campaigners over NOx emissions and skewing the tax system against diesel powered cars

Of course further evidence may emerge that manufacturers have been doing the same kind of stuff on their petrol engines in which case I guess nothing much will change

Post #474000 Wed Sep 23 2015 3:38pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

No, we haven't.

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/b...e-10109887

Post #474141 Thu Sep 24 2015 4:29pm
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

I'm relieved to hear it thanks.

Post #474168 Thu Sep 24 2015 8:42pm
chemistry guy

Belgium 

Found this pic. Rolling with laughter

MY2015 RRS SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Corris Grey, Santorini Black Roof, Ebony/Pimento interior, 22 inch Hawke Chayton

Post #474208 Fri Sep 25 2015 9:40am
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

Even if LR is holier than though in this space the increased scrutiny on diesel engines and testing in general will have an impact. If on the back of these investigations the goverment looks to move to discourage diesels we could see the price of the fuel go up and the value of used diesel cars go down irrespective of the quality of the engine.

Post #474221 Fri Sep 25 2015 12:53pm
alexv

United Kingdom 

Wouldn't bother me as I would just surrender the car back to the finance provider. On order expected October 16 macan turbo
Current car MY15 Hse Dynamic
Cayenne v6 MY64
RRS MY13 Black edition
Discovery MY61 xs
RRS TDV6 MY07
XC90 Executive
Yada yada yada

Post #474222 Fri Sep 25 2015 1:24pm
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

This whole business is a product of the legislative obsession with targets. Just like in the NHS, the targets become the object of professional's activity rather than actually making people or cars better.

The engineers were told to make the cars pass the emissions tests. They did this. It's the testing regime that is wrong and unrepresentative.

Where is the dividing line between cheating the tests and reasonable adaptation. Is taking spare wheels out OK? Is taping over body seams OK? Is pumping up tyres OK? There is no real difference between these activities and programming the engine to reduce emissions during the test. Regards

Malcolm

Post #474228 Fri Sep 25 2015 3:04pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Great comment, Malcolm. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #474415 Sun Sep 27 2015 5:56am
wilf

Quite apart from the stupidity of the regulators and manufacturers combined, we should really be focussing our attention on exactly where the majority of NOx emissions come from, and I might be willing to have a small wager they are not from passenger vehicles anyway. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #474521 Sun Sep 27 2015 8:45pm
alpaca

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Zambezi Silver

I saw some article that said gov researchers were measuring pollutants on side of highway back in 2009 and noticing no difference after euro5 came in - so this can't just be VW - if bosch did it for them then they probably did it for others. Article also said Oxford street was most polluted in uk - but isn't that all busses, taxis and delivery vans ?

Post #474661 Tue Sep 29 2015 5:59am
wilf

Saw that same article - a more stupid piece of journalism you couldn't ask for, as Oxford St is indeed closed to cars! MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #474703 Tue Sep 29 2015 4:36pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

So now 2.5 million Audis with the same engines have been added to the 11 million VW's fitted with them........... I'm interested to know why the Technical Director of Porsche also had to fall on his sword as Porsche don't use any 1.6 or 2.0ltr Diesel engines as far as I know, unless he worked for VW before going to Porsche. It isn't an issue for me but it will be interesting to see what our government does to BIK taxes and company car taxes that are based on emissions - as somebody who doesn't have a company car or my fuel costs paid for, I would be delighted to see all those who get "free" (I know you get taxed on them) cars made to pay extra any gap between what VW/Audi, BMW and Merecedes claimed their cars were putting out and what we find that they are emitting in real life use............. retrospectively as is now being suggested should happen 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #474708 Tue Sep 29 2015 5:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chemistry guy

Belgium 
LATEST NEWS

For those who doubted the integrity of JLR...

Has Land Rover being fudging their emissions tests like VW? NO! Thumbs Up

Since september the German KBA (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt) has been testing emissions of 23 brands including Landrover (Range Rover Evoque).

They could not find fudging by any other manufacturer.

Source: AUTO55 BE

That only Volkswagen commits such a large-scale fraud in the emission of nitrogen oxides , most of us can not imagine . And yet they find no evidence against the other manufacturers.
Embarassed

Diesel Gate appears to have originated in a different way than previously thought . Not an American research , but European whistle blowers have brought the ball rolling. MY2015 RRS SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Corris Grey, Santorini Black Roof, Ebony/Pimento interior, 22 inch Hawke Chayton

Post #479712 Fri Nov 13 2015 2:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>