RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > SVR Gloss Black Alloys??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Shocked

Post #477090 Mon Oct 19 2015 10:37pm
RRS Oli

Fletcher wrote:
Romans gloss black wheels need black centre caps .

I agree fletcher, i always like to do something different to my cars. On my last Autobiography sport i had all the grey plastic sanded and thick primer then gloss black which looked really smart, even the dealer commented how much better it looked and offered me slightly more than he was going to. I also had a variety of things colour coded on the car but nothing mad just how i think the car should of come from the factory.

On the SVR there doesn't seem to be much you can do if anything to make it stand out anymore? I will do the usual front driver/passenger side window tinting to match the rear as it just looks odd otherwise IMO. I have emailed Dave about getting the alloys done from factory as think it will make the car stand out as seems to fill the arches a lot more in black IMO. 2019 Urban Urus - May Delivery. Gone to the dark side...
2019 RRS SVR Velocity Blue Rejected!
2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
RRS1 2011 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography - SOLD

Post #477114 Tue Oct 20 2015 8:13am
Fletcher

England 

Thumbs Up

Post #477118 Tue Oct 20 2015 8:55am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

21s on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-RANGE-RO...1838687154 

Post #477313 Wed Oct 21 2015 7:18pm
rich1231

I have 22's on my SVR arriving next week.

Was tempted for some 21's for winter use. What are the 22" tyres like in snow?

Post #477317 Wed Oct 21 2015 7:32pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Not sure anyone knows - other than the baddies in Spectre (and Dave W probably). I've just purchased a set of 21 with M+S tyres for use in the winter - can't stand the thought of the ridicule I'll get if we have the weather that is forecast and I get stuck in my flashy, expensive, ridiculous car! Very Happy 

Post #477327 Wed Oct 21 2015 7:57pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

Rich, that would be our recommendation; to do as Phil has done.

Post #477349 Wed Oct 21 2015 10:58pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Yes, in my diary to go back from 22s to 21s second week of November. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #477415 Thu Oct 22 2015 6:31pm
rich1231

Thanks. Will order a set tomorrow.

Post #477435 Thu Oct 22 2015 9:01pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Some dealers may store and change the wheels for you. This is common in Germany where swapping between summer and winter tyres is normal.

If you do it yourself, apart from having somewhere to store the unused set, you need a trolley jack which has the reach to lift the car clear; a standard trolley jack from the likes of Halfords or Machine Mart will not lift it high enough. Also, larger jacks tend to have a larger saddle (the bit that engages with the car lifting point) and I had to fit a smaller one so that it didn't also engage with and damage the bottom of the sill cover. That was the easiest solution for me, I daresay I could have found a jack elsewhere which fitted the bill. My jack lifts to 850mm.

Don't rely on using the scissor jack which comes with the spare wheel - it is an accident waiting to happen and for emergency use on a firm and level surface only.

I'd also recommend you buy a breaker bar to release the nuts and a torque wrench to tighten them to the correct torque but not over-tight. Finally a soft socket to protect the wheel nuts if they matter to you. I use the same one I use for my Ferrari wheel bolts which cost £61 each...

All of which may mean you just get the dealer to do it all... Mark

Post #477484 Fri Oct 23 2015 6:51am
rich1231

Thanks
Mark

I bought one of these yesterday.

Draper 53089 which is a heavy duty trolley jack.
Going to leave the wheels at home as my road is always worst hit locally when it snows and is impassable for a few days a year for most cars. Well ive been stranded with my M5 and previous cars.

Post #477486 Fri Oct 23 2015 7:10am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Yes no point being snowed in with your M+S wheels elsewhere... Mark

Post #477491 Fri Oct 23 2015 7:29am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

My local Kwik Fit has a "Wheel and Tyre hotel" service for folks with several sets of wheels/tyres for different uses. they make a small charge but that includes the cost of changing the wheels/ tyres over and an inspection service as well as storgare. If necessary they will even swop tyres on and off a single set of wheels and balancing is included in the fee. I don't know if this is something throughout the KwikFit empire or if it is something the local manager has found a niche market for. My sister uses the service for her Honda Civic that she has a set of winter tyres for but uses the same rims for both the summer and winter tyres. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #477511 Fri Oct 23 2015 9:43am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Worth remembering too each 22 inch rim + tyre weighs a sizeable 37kg so that they are a bit of a handful to offer up to the hub without damaging anything. The offset/weight distribution is also such that they have a tendency to topple onto the polished face and easily damage it.

I have a wheel lift which allows you to support, raise and rotate the wheel on to the studs but it's a bit of a mixed blessing as it requires the body to be raised that much higher to create the required space under the wheel for the supporting rollers to fit.

As for storage, you can buy trollies which hold the wheels. I store them flat in a corner of a barn with square sheets of 9mm MDF between each one and top and bottom to protect them. Mark

Post #477525 Fri Oct 23 2015 10:51am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Mark is MDF not a bit hard for putting between wheels? I managed to get hold of a load of carpet offcuts of a really expensive deep pile carpet that was only going in a skip (so was free) that the local carpet warehouse had laid in a neighbour's house to go between mine in storage. Have also used the deeper pile tufted coir foot mats from Ikea
(http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20052187/ )as well between my spare set of Defender ZU alloys, I'm sure that coir will be more foriving to the polished surfaces than MDF. I also have a long length of carpet offcut to lay on the driveway when I'm changing the wheels so if they fall over they land on something soft. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #477533 Fri Oct 23 2015 11:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>