RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Views on those who have owned RRS1's & RRS2's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Sag

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Views on those who have owned RRS1's & RRS2's

Hi guys,hope everyone is well. Back after a while away and a shed load of issues with my RRS.

Just wanted to ask a quick question to those who have owned both the RRS1 & RRS2.

How different, if any, is the steering feel and weight between the 2 cars?

After a new car and unsure where to start.

Thanks Thumbs Up LCFC. Receiver of threatening letters from Overfinch.

Post #475930 Sat Oct 10 2015 2:23pm
Renaco

Germany 

So different, that i ordered it direct after the first test Drive.
I did not like the L494 design at the begin and wanted to keep my RRS MY12 longer but after the test it was clear it is a much better balanced car.

Worth a try... 👍😉

Post #475931 Sat Oct 10 2015 2:38pm
Triumph_Dave

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Re: Views on those who have owned RRS1's & RRS2's

Sag wrote:
Hi guys,hope everyone is well. Back after a while away and a shed load of issues with my RRS.

Just wanted to ask a quick question to those who have owned both the RRS1 & RRS2.

How different, if any, is the steering feel and weight between the 2 cars?

After a new car and unsure where to start.

Thanks Thumbs Up

The RRS2 is a huge improvement ref drive-ability, handles well on and off road. However, in my opinion the last of the RRS1 was better built. The materials and quality of build of the newer model is not good, I am very disappointed and already finding build issues after almost no miles on the clock. If this continues it will be my last Land Rover product. I suspect that in all the efforts to save weight (everywhere) they have simply gone too far..some of the plastics both external and internal are not what i would expect on a car of this value.
My car does not have the glass roof ( do not like it ) The design is such that the vehicle must have been designed for the glass from the start, as the metal panel that replaces it is so thin and distorts so much you can see higher quality panels on my wifes small suzuki swift run around. Hard to believe, but true.
I am very disillusioned overall with the new RRS. D4 2012 Santorini Black gone
RRS 2013 Santorini HSE Black gone
MY2016 RRS HSE Dynamic arrived September, but will it stay.. maybe not.

Post #475935 Sat Oct 10 2015 3:08pm
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Sag,

What's the story with the sig? 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #475939 Sat Oct 10 2015 3:23pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Sag,

I have had a 2009 HSE 2.7 (very last of pre-facelift) and a 2013 HSE Black Edition 3.0 (last before new shape) before my current L494. There is no doubt RRS2 is overall a much better car. Steering is noticeably lighter (the steering wheel feels like it has a smaller diameter too) , drives smoother and engine is much quieter even on a cold start with bonnet open (so not about soundproofness). My previous one was also SDV6 (255 bhp) so same engine and gearbox as the current one (306 bhp) but they have mapped it to be more responsive and smoother. My neighbour has a 2006 2.7 (same engine and gearbox as my first RRS) and a test drive in my L494 blew him away. He couldn't stop commenting on how refined the engine and gearbox was. For me the change was more gradual but still very obvious. Then there is handling, significantly improved (weight loss helps there too).

However, I have to agree with Triumph_Dave on build quality. My previous two cars felt they were worth every penny of their new car price. I bought both second hand by the way. I was expecting a trouble free experience buying brand new after a very long time but sadly my car visited the dealer last week to get the headlights adjusted (were set too high) and to have baffle plates fitted to the fuel tank (infamous fuel slap). At some point it will need to go back there to have the seat leather fitting improved to reflect the cost of the car and Auto High Beam Assist enabled ( when LR figure out how to do that Rolling Eyes ).

I am glad not to have experienced serious issues like some others have and the engine, gearbox, suspension etc. seem to be behaving brilliantly. Still not perfectly happy because there are some niggles, no matter how minor.

I would still recommend RRS2 if budget allows, just make sure all the known issues either don't exist or are sorted out quickly. Having said that, MY12/MY13 cars are excellent value for money. I still can't believe how little money I lost on my Black Edition during the 21 months I had it. Black Edition especially came with loads of features that are optional extras even on my Autobiography! Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #475951 Sat Oct 10 2015 4:58pm
SRE

Spain 

Sag

Both my sports have been holiday home cars, so are not subjected to much cold weather, snow and rain etc Very Happy
I have had an 08 2.7 HSE, added a BAS remap Very Happy Thumbs Up loved it, a very good car.
No real problems, but it was a low mileage vehicle, less than 40K miles on the clock when I sold it.

I now have an 2011 Facelift 3.0 litre HSE, better interior, and I bought it from a Land Rover dealer with 2 year warranty. Again, very low miles, plus a friend owned the car from new previously, so I knew the vehicle, however I will most likely drop the car before it reaches 40k miles.

Yes I have had a look at the new Sport, however I am a poor man, Big Cry Big Cry so will have to wait until they are circa 3 years old. Is the new Sport worth the extra and is it that much of an upgrade, Question Question Yes when they loose half their value In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #475956 Sat Oct 10 2015 5:36pm
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

RRS1 was a 2.7 SE. Loved the car, but feel it's looks are dated now and was getting far too common on the road. RRS1 was a workhorse and a slouch, compared to RRS2 which is much more a sports car in set - up and still has 80 pct of the utility of RRS1. Some trim is probably better in RRS1 but RRS2 certainly isn't far off and the cabin ambience in RRS2 is far more refined, more Bentley than LR.

RRS2 feels special and I smile very broadly every time I get in it.. If you like being the envy of every other SUV driver on the road then buy one.. P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #475958 Sat Oct 10 2015 5:49pm
Sag

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I came a cropper when I bought the X6 as the steering was too heavy but as I am unable to test drive the cars before I buy (due to disability) I need to clear this up before I start looking at the RRS2.

I find the RRS1 nice and light so to know the RRS2 is lighter is good news for me.

I'm not overly clued up on new shape specs, but will the weight of the steering be affected by any specific packages....Dynamic etc?

JasM wrote:
Sag,

What's the story with the sig?

LCFC or them pr!cks at Overfinch? Laughing LCFC. Receiver of threatening letters from Overfinch.

Post #475960 Sat Oct 10 2015 6:02pm
SRE

Spain 

Sag
Tyre choice can have a big impact on steering feel as well. In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #475962 Sat Oct 10 2015 6:19pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've had a 2005 TDv6 SE, a 2007 TDv8 HSE and now have a 2015 SDv6 HSE Dynamic. Dynamic mode does weight up the steering but not hugely, you know it has weighted though, I also have 22" wheels on mine that may make it heavier than those with smaller wheels 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #475968 Sat Oct 10 2015 7:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Sag wrote:

JasM wrote:
Sag,

What's the story with the sig?

LCFC or them pr!cks at Overfinch? Laughing

The latter. 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #475977 Sat Oct 10 2015 8:55pm
Sag

Thanks for the feedback guys, been a great help.

Jas - will drop you a PM Thumbs Up LCFC. Receiver of threatening letters from Overfinch.

Post #476125 Mon Oct 12 2015 2:30pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Can I be nosey as well? Mr. Green 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #476128 Mon Oct 12 2015 3:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1