RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Hard wiring a Tomtom
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

foxtrotzulu

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
Hard wiring a Tomtom

Well, I've had my RRS just four days and I think I've come to the conclusion that the LR built in satnav is utter pants. It will get better as I learn how to work it, but it is so unbelievably counter-intuitive and light years behind my four year old Tomtom.
So.... I'm thinking if getting my Tomtom hard wired to the car to avoid those unsightly wires. The question is how to do this. The actual hardwiring should be say enough for someone who knows what they are doing, but I rather suspect that I will want o change satnav a in a a year or so. Any way to have it so that a new satnav can just plug in without having to take the whole car apart again? Something like a junction box by the RH door pillar on the dashboard. Although this would look pants. Thoughts?

By the way, my car is a 2010 HSE.

Post #473564 Sat Sep 19 2015 8:43am
gary3306

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

You can get TomTom hard wiring kits. I had one when I had a Vectra VXR years ago. All that is visible is the short bit of lead that plugs into the TomTom unit. They're only around £10.00. All you need is an ignition live and an earth. Pity you're at the other end of the country as I would have done it for you.

Post #473570 Sat Sep 19 2015 9:41am
foxtrotzulu

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

I wasn't sure they still did the hard wiring kits, but eben so do they really do the job I want? i.e. when I change my satnav won't I still need to run a new cable to ignition live and earth? Don't forget that Tomtom change their power supply connections with almost every model. I have about four separate tomtom leads from the last 12 years and none are interchangeable.

Post #473579 Sat Sep 19 2015 12:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1