RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Error message on new sport
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Josh Bear

Error message on new sport

Hi

I have a new sport diesel autobiography and have completed just over 3000 miles. As I pulled up tonight I got a warning message saying exhaust filter almost full.
Does anyone know what this means and what I do about it. I have looked in the manual but can't find a reference to it

Thanks

Josh

Post #472809 Fri Sep 11 2015 9:53pm
Fletcher

England 

Ring land rover assist or your supplying dealer , probably nothing to worry about .

Post #472811 Fri Sep 11 2015 10:06pm
Josh Bear

Thanks both.

This is not good news. My previous model sport was three years of trouble free motoring. This one has a suspension creak when turning right at speed, the fuel slapping sound and now this.

Josh

Post #472815 Fri Sep 11 2015 10:24pm
Josh Bear

No. Only just happened as I came in a few mins ago. I knew there was a fix for the tank slapping sound just not had it done.

Re the filter message is this the same as the diesal particulate filter? Just found in the manual that travelling for 20 mins at 40 mph or above clears the filter.

Josh

Post #472817 Fri Sep 11 2015 10:30pm
Josh Bear

Thanks for the help. Will call them tomorrow

Post #472819 Fri Sep 11 2015 10:38pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Nothing to worry about. I've had this twice on my 15 plate RRS but not before on my 13 plate same model. The DPF seems a lot more sensitive now on RRS's doing low miles. Have a look at the handbook - I think the filter needs to regenerate every 300-500 miles, and if the engine has not got up to full working temp when the cycle is due , the warning light comes on. It happened to me last week, so all I did was to drive for 10 mins to the local supermarket, shove a few bottles in the bottle bank, with the engine running, then kept it running whilst I put some diesel in the the pay per pump (ok probably should have switched it off) and then legged it home in Sport mode. The warning light came off 1 mile from home.

In essence just keep it running for about 25 mins at current temps, probably longer in the winter. I've only done 4k miles in 4 months so I've had it twice.

Post #472820 Fri Sep 11 2015 10:45pm
Josh Bear

Hi

Took it for a 20 min run on the motorway. At 18 mins the error cleared. Good. But not great. This really shouldn't happen in my humble opinion. Thanks for the advice all.

Josh

Post #472875 Sat Sep 12 2015 3:21pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It is a problem for all modern diesels fitted with a DPF, not just Land Rovers. If you drive a lot in stop start, slow moving traffic and the engine isn't getting warmed through properly then the regeneration doesn't take place like it should. I appreciate that it shouldn't in this day and age, but that is progress for you! In 6 months and 3200 miles driving I haven't suffered from this issue or on any of the lprevious 2 cars fitted with DPF's but then my driving is mostly fast A roads at cruising speeds and not commuter type driving. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #472877 Sat Sep 12 2015 3:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Josh Bear

Thanks. My driving is dominated by my commute of 15 miles on country roads. Generally the roads are quiet so reasonable speeds are possible. I did this commute with my previous RRS and never had an issue. The travel pattern hasn't changed but now I have this message.

Should I expect this?

Thanks

Josh

Post #472878 Sat Sep 12 2015 3:44pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Did your last RRS have a DPF? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #472882 Sat Sep 12 2015 4:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Josh Bear

No idea Smile

It was a 2011 RRS autobiography.

Post #472895 Sat Sep 12 2015 6:21pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

This link to the AA ref DPF may be of interest. As Tim says, this is a common issue for many modern diesels fitted with DPF filters.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels...lters.html

I would say that the 15 model RRS onwards seems to be more susceptible to re-generation issues than 13/14 models... I presume to make it more compliant to EU emission regulations. This topic is likely to become more commonplace not just on this forums but other car forums ref diesel powered vehicles.

One should bear in mind that if the tank is less than 25pc full, or the re-generation cycle occurs during a short journey, and engine temp not up to full heat, the error message may occur - even if one's normal journeys are down A roads, motorways etc.

Maybe that's why the fuel tank sloshes at over 1/2 full...it's an unintended benefit to warn us that under 1/2 full , no sloshing, we could be heading towards under 1/4 full and no re-generation Laughing

Post #472921 Sat Sep 12 2015 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1