RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Views/opinions please on possible car purchase?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Marky-b

England 
Views/opinions please on possible car purchase?

Hi all,
not sure if this the the right place to post the question, please move if it's not.
So, found this on eBay this morning, http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&...ID=EBAY-GB
What's the general feeling on price, condition and has anyone dealt the the dealer in the past? It would be my absolute max ££. I know the colour is a bit of a marmite colour but I like it and it would match my hair Very Happy

Any thoughts or views are most welcome

Mark

Post #472160 Sun Sep 06 2015 7:41am
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

I like it, love the colour, if it's what you want then go have a look, but look with you head not your heart ! I don't know about price, best thing is to look on the likes of autotrader and compare with similar priced cars . Good luck 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #472161 Sun Sep 06 2015 7:57am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If it is a genuine 1st Ed (and the grille and wheels are not from a 1st Ed, the 1st Ed had proper Stormer wheels) then there were only 300 of them made for worldwide sale in Vesuvius Orange. To check the veracity of the 1st Ed claim get hold of thre VIN from the bottom left corner of the screen and check it's history with any Land Rover dealer. I would suggest to look extremely carefully for signs of a respray as the colour is one of the very few scintachrome paints that LR has used and it cannot be matched up, you have to respray the entire car. Many insurers will not cover these paint finishes so do some research. It does look very shiny for a nearly 11 year old car! I have the original sales literature for the launch of the RRS with the full spec of the 1st Ed in it, if you would like it then please PM me your email address and I will scan it for you. Good luck BTW the 4.2 S/C was a gasaholic don't expect much more than 12mpg in day to day running and a lot less if you start to drive it hard! If it is a genuine 1st Ed then it would be worth buying to return to it's proper 1st Ed spec as that would really enhance it's value these are now very rare cars in Vesuvius Orange. 1st Ed was also available in similiar numbers in Java Black Metallic and Zambesi Siver, but as these were also standard colours it is even more difficult to spot a 1st Ed in Black or Silver. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #472163 Sun Sep 06 2015 8:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Marky-b

England 

Cheers guys for the quick reply's. I will give him a call later and ask for vin number and paint code. I should be able to check it at work tomorrow Whistle
I like the look of the car with the wheels and grill etc. It does look very shiny for a 10 year old car with 100k on the clock but I had a WR1 and that was a similar age miles and it was mint. Used as the buyers guide photo car for auto express I think or auto at, can't remember now Sad

Cheers
Mark

Post #472166 Sun Sep 06 2015 8:31am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Even though the current SDv6 will give the old 4.2V8 a decent run for it's money the 1st Eds were very desirable in their day and there is the added bonus of that wonderful V8 rumble when you floor it. If it is a genuine 1st Ed then I think you will love it. Is it to be a "daily runner" or a "weekend" car? At 100,000 miles it is also approaching some very very expensive routine servicing so take that into account in deciding how much you want to pay for it. All the fluids will need changing at around 110,000 miles and then there are all sorts of drive belts to replace so check that they haven't already been done. Good luck with the viewing and I hope it works out at a sensible price you could always try knocking them down a bit for selling a car that isn't properly finished to the trim spec that it left the factory with................. 5 Stormer wheels will knock £1500-£2k off the price for a start and I don't know if you can still even buy the proper 1st Ed chrome finished grille! A cheeky offer of £10k might take it off the dealers hands once you point out all the work needed to get it back to 1st Ed proper spec........

Lr special editions don't generally hold their value any better than the standard cars except 50th Anniversary V8 Defenders and car's like Camelrock's which, IIRC , there were only 8 TDv8 G4 RRS's ever made. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #472168 Sun Sep 06 2015 8:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PEACHY

England 

I noticed this on eBay the other night - i did stop & look because it does turn heads - a few concerns have already been mentioned but to add to that - it has a front HST bumper & rear standard Supercharged - may be a few reasons like an unfinished facelift but it does stand out.

Good luck Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #472171 Sun Sep 06 2015 9:03am
Marky-b

England 

It will only be a second car. I do between 350 and 400 miles a week. Got a 02 P38 4.6 at the mo for best.
So, if it is a genuine orange, has it been devalued by having wrong wheels, bumper etc fitted? I do like the look of the car overall but don't want to pay over the odds.

Thanks

Mark

Post #472177 Sun Sep 06 2015 10:42am
PEACHY

England 

Hard to comment on devalue - if its a first edition & you would like to turn it back into its original spec - thats wheels - front grill & side vents - maybe even the lettering needs changing back to the older silver type & off course the front bumper. If you like it as it is & just want to drive it then mention the issues & get some money knocked off Very Happy
I was with a guy on holiday a few weeks ago - he beamed with pride regarding his new 10MY purchase - i pointed out the sills & lower bumper had been painted - along with the fact it had 22 stormer alloys ( which Landrover didn't make ) are liable to crack - he was not impressed - didn't talk to me for a week Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
This forum is a never endless pit of good advice & opinions but ultimately its your call - take a look - have a drive & look at some more if you go back & purchase - enjoy Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #472178 Sun Sep 06 2015 11:28am
Marky-b

England 

Thanks again

Just rang dealer, car potentially sold to someone who has been looking for that colour for the last year. The dealer will keep me posted if the sale falls through. Don't sound like he is prepared to drop the price much, reckons it is a factory car/ colour.

Mark

Post #472183 Sun Sep 06 2015 12:31pm
foxtrotzulu

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Way beyond my area of expertise or knowledge, but as someone who is currently looking to by my first RRS I have been struck by the significant discount there appears to be for these less popular colours. A normal black RRS on auto trader seems to be a good £1500 or more cheaper on Autotrader simply because it has slightly dubious orange/tan coloured seats. So, you might get a good deal on a 'marmite' colour, but you do have to understand that it could be an absolute pig to resell (unless you find two people who are desperate for Vesuvius Orange, or whatever, and the the world's your lobster.)

Post #472191 Sun Sep 06 2015 1:38pm
Marky-b

England 

Foxtrotzulu, I understand that it has a limited market, perhaps it's for the best it's sold. Laughing

Tim in Scotland, don't mind a big service, I was going to do all fluids on what ever I bought. To be honest, I don't trust main dealers to be as thorough as I would be.

So, it looks like it's back to the adverts.

Post #472219 Sun Sep 06 2015 6:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1