RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Wallowy ride - is this normal?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

peterg1965

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
Wallowy ride - is this normal?

61 plate SDV6 HSE with 42K on the clock, we have had it 7 months. Wife has been complaining that it doesn't feel that stable on the motorway at speed and that the ride and steering just seem to be a little soft and wallowy. Maybe she has just got too used to driving a 4x4 with firmer suspension (X5), which was her last car.

I have driven it today and I know where she is coming from. Is this the 'norm' for RRS suspension and ride? It is in normal ride height. Range Rover - 4.4SDV8 Autobiography - Corris and Black
MY12 SDV6 HSE - Buckingham Blue and Ivory leather - NOW GONE

Post #464522 Sun Jun 14 2015 3:51pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

That's a difficult one. There are so many things that it can be.

Does it really wallow or is it just not feeling 'planted'?

Start with the obvious like check the tyre pressures. If the front tyres are close to limit of wear then fitting new can be a night and day transformation especially in the wet and on the inner lanes where trucks have made ruts.

Have a four wheel alignment adjustment done properly by a workshop equipped with the Hunter Hawkeye system.

If no improvement then start thinking about suspension bushes. If they are going soft but not bad enough to fail an MOT changing them can make a dramatic difference to the feeling of stability at speed. Front lower arms and ARB droplinks are the usual culprits. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #464542 Sun Jun 14 2015 7:50pm
RogerDeFlor

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

No it doesn't sound right. I've had plenty of BMW's, inc and M3 and 535, so I understand what you mean by a "planted" or "firm" ride. My RRS isn't wallowy, thought I prefer to think of it as wafting along on a cushion of air Very Happy , it also feels stable at motorway speeds. If anything, it's more me holding it back, as I'm conscious that I'm driving 2.5 tonnes.

It could just be something like the tracking/wheel alignment. Is it affected by the road camber or surface ?

Post #464644 Mon Jun 15 2015 3:57pm
peterg1965

Interesting, thanks.

I don't think it feels right, the steering seems very light and it does roll a fair bit when cornering - wallowy is definitely the right word for it. My daily driver is an A6 Avant Ultra and that may have spoilt me slightly, but there is nothing Sporty in terms of the handing of our RR Sport at the moment. I keep thinking that it looks a high in terms of suspension, but it is definitely in normal ride height selection. We parked next to an older RRS a few weeks back, and the height of that car was way below ours - I think that must have been in the access (lower) height setting.

Tyres are all good, Goodyear Excellence all round and I don't think the road surface/camber makes a difference.

It is under LR Approved warranty until Nov 16, so I think a trip to the dealer may be in order, but I can hear them now - "there is nothing wrong with it Sir, they are all like that!". Range Rover - 4.4SDV8 Autobiography - Corris and Black

Post #464672 Mon Jun 15 2015 7:12pm
azz

2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

If the dealer says they are all like that, request a test drive of one on the forecourt to compare - you'll need to put your wife at ease before she defects back to bmw! Good luck and hope it's easily sorted 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6 - Bali Blue / Ivory Leather / Extended Leather / TV / Rear Entertainment / Privacy Glass / Timed Climate
Mods - 21" Style 101 Alloys / Sidesteps / De-badged Rear / LED Lighting / Autobiography Grill & Vents / Remote FBH w/GPS

Post #464696 Mon Jun 15 2015 8:47pm
peterg1965

Thumbs Up

I'll keep you all informed when I have taken it to the dealer! Range Rover - 4.4SDV8 Autobiography - Corris and Black

Post #464715 Mon Jun 15 2015 9:51pm
peterg1965

It's booked in for Friday morning.... Including a road test with a technician. Range Rover - 4.4SDV8 Autobiography - Corris and Black

Post #464824 Tue Jun 16 2015 8:19pm
Johndotcom

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

That's the date I pick up my new to me 2012 61 RR Sport HSE with lots of extra goodies fitted including Fridge and Cold climate Pack, Dynamic Pack, and Memory pack, what ever extras they bring, as I can't find that info.
Will let you know what the rides like. Felt good on the long test drive.

Post #464851 Tue Jun 16 2015 11:25pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

peterg1965 wrote:
My daily driver is an A6 Avant Ultra and that may have spoilt me slightly, but there is nothing Sporty in terms of the handing of our RR Sport at the moment.

The Sport name is a bit of a misnomer really. Sure, it's sporty compared to the handling of the FFRR but that's as far as it goes. You need to remember that the RRS has long travel air suspension (nearly a foot of travel is available at each corner) and it weighs 2.5 tonnes+. You shouldn't compare it to something with short travel, heavily damped, steel springs designed to give a "sporty" ride. It will always feel wallowy in comparison.

One thing to remember is that the suspension gives a comfortable ride; but it also keeps the tyres in contact with the road whilst it's leaning and rolling. It's impressive how much grip it can generate even whilst leaning in a fast corner. It's even more impressive when it's fully articulated and still finding traction off road but I guess you'll be less interested in that aspect.

The steering is quite light for such a big beast but then you wouldn't want it any other way with big wheels and tyres. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #464877 Wed Jun 17 2015 8:44am
peterg1965

You are probably right RRSTDV8, and I expect to be told there is nothing wrong with it, but it's peace of mind for the wife to be told this by the Dealer. Range Rover - 4.4SDV8 Autobiography - Corris and Black

Last edited by peterg1965 on Thu Jun 18 2015 9:53pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #465021 Thu Jun 18 2015 5:59pm
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

I think your short changing him 2 cylinders Wink 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #465028 Thu Jun 18 2015 6:26pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Whistle 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #465049 Thu Jun 18 2015 9:48pm
peterg1965

Camelrock wrote:
I think your short changing him 2 cylinders Wink

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Whistle

For which I humbly apologise……. Bow down Range Rover - 4.4SDV8 Autobiography - Corris and Black

Post #465050 Thu Jun 18 2015 9:52pm
peterg1965

Back from dealer, diagnostics done on the car and it is showing multiple faults on the air suspension at all corners, also has fault on one of the central suspension electronic boxes (if that makes sense). Also they agree there is an issue and also recommend two new front tyres (down to 3.5mm and one shows signs of some scrubbing) and also a full 4 wheel alignment (£200 that I have to pay). I assume that all suspension issues will be covered by the extended warranty.

They need the car for 2 days and recommend not driving on the motorway and at speed. Wife is vindicated!

Meanwhile, I have spotted a lovely new shape FFRR for sale....... Range Rover - 4.4SDV8 Autobiography - Corris and Black

Post #465094 Fri Jun 19 2015 12:51pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

If they are trying to charge you £200.00 for just 4 wheel alignment you are being shafted, just had mine done using Hunter equipment £60.00 + vat.

Cheers
Col

Post #465099 Fri Jun 19 2015 1:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>