RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > I hate garages but the man from RAC was nice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
I hate garages but the man from RAC was nice

Driving back towards the office this afternoon I noticed a strange smell. Seemed familiar. After a couple of minutes I realised it was hot coolant. Checked under the bonnet to find coolant everywhere. Eventually found a loose hose. Annoyingly the hose clip was still in place but about 2 inches down the pipe from its witness mark. Looks like it wasn't replaced at some point following some work - I found a couple of others in similar state (although pipes still attached) recently following turbo replacement. I assume the same technician is at fault here. I think the hose in question comes up from the transmission cooler as it's a narrower pipe than any that serve the engine directly.

A walk to Halfords to pick up some pliers to replace the clip and a 5 litre bottle of pre-mixed coolant later and I still haven't filled it up. Halfords is only half a mile from where I'm parked so I drive there to get another 5 litres of coolant. Luckily parked next to a RAC van and, as I'm a member, he helped me bleed it.

Took 9 litres of coolant to top it up so it lost about 50% in a couple of minutes.

What is worrying is that the low coolant warning didn't illuminate so I guess I need a new sensor. The temperature gauge didn't go above normal so I'm hoping that I've been lucky and not cooked the engine.

I did have the power steering pump replaced a couple of weeks ago. I'm now wondering if it might have been unclipped then. If so, that's a different garage making the same silly errors.

Bloody garages... Censored 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #457737 Mon Mar 30 2015 10:15pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

This is sounding like a familiar story RRSTDV8... Are you related to Simple Question Laughing
You seem to be having a lot of trouble with your sport lately Whistle Most of it being caused by your dealer. Time for a change maybe? Dealer & vehicle. Thumbs Up

Post #457755 Tue Mar 31 2015 7:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bradders

United Kingdom 

It's hard to think of more basic errors that not tightening hose clips. I think a word with the Service Manager is in order and then buy a BMW Rolling with laughter FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #457758 Tue Mar 31 2015 8:48am
RRSTDV8

I had the last service done at an indie - I'm now worried that they might be making the same basic errors!

As for changing, I keep thinking about it and can't see what else to have. The RRS is worth maybe £15k so to change I'll have to spend another £15k to get in to something worth having. Must be my mother's Yorkshire blood coming through as I find that idea annoying! Rolling with laughter

The RRS was a cash buy but I'd probably look for some finance to replace it. As I'm contracting at the moment I'm not sure how favourable the rates would be. Decisions, decisions... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #457762 Tue Mar 31 2015 9:18am
RRSTDV8

"We buy any car" value it at £10,840! That seems a bit low for a 57-plate with 94k on the clock. At that price maybe I should just keep it as an off-road plaything/shoot vehicle... Rolling Eyes 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #457834 Tue Mar 31 2015 9:36pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

If the temp gauge never went of the scale you will be fine,

Post #458539 Wed Apr 08 2015 12:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1