RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > What are this marks on the dash?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

grrb

What are this marks on the dash?

Hi everyone, Im thinking of buying a 2007 RRS, but after spending some time reading the forum Im not so sure any moore...

I originally came here to ask about the dasboard on two RRSs Im looking at, right where the passenger airbag is located both have lines/cuts/cracks on the plastic (im including a picture). I wanted to know if this is normal or has the airbag deployed and thus its been in a crash?

I have read about suspension problems and electronic P brake, but like every new LR owner Im wondering how bad this reliability concern really is and what other stuff do I specifically need to watch out for on 07-09 RRS? engines? transmission?

Post #452261 Wed Feb 11 2015 8:41pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

You'll find faults and common problems with every car. Its just the Range Rover bits cost more to fix and usually take longer labour time.

If you don't want to or can't afford regular servicing or possible susepension repairs then don't buy one. Simples.

Otherwise if you can put up with all that you'll probably love them like us here!

As for the lines, if there faint then its possible its just the outline of where the air bag compartment is. I've seen this on kots of cars and if its on 2 you've seen then its likely to be fine unles, its actually split and reinserted.

Do HPI checks and ask the owners or dealers. I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #452270 Wed Feb 11 2015 9:34pm
FatJoe

Just looked at your picture. I've never noticed the lines as clear as that in mine. Are you saying 2 different cars both have the same lines? I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #452271 Wed Feb 11 2015 9:38pm
grrb

Yes they are completely split! honestly it looks like its been cut exactly where the airbag would open, so I would have just said it was crashed, but then I just found this in another forum, its an LR3 dash, apparently its common, and its similar but not as drastic. And that got me thinking maybe its not the airbag and just a problem with the vinyl on the dash.. and I did see this in 2 cars, so I wanted to check with you guys

http://landroverforums.com/forum/attachmen...ckdash.jpg

Post #452273 Wed Feb 11 2015 9:47pm
FatJoe

I've seen stuff like this in lots of cars, sometimes if there in the sun for long periods the leather might sag a little however I haven't noticed this in mine or at least nothing that noticable. I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #452275 Wed Feb 11 2015 9:54pm
Streaky

United Arab Emirates 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Alaska White

This is the sacrificial segment of the airbag covering vinyl and it's a huge problem in the Middle East that Land Rover refuse to address. The dash facia material isn't UV resistant enough and over time these cracks will split wide open like a crushed water melon....just about every one of my mates with RRS and LR3 (Discovery 3) have this same issue in Dubai.
LR did a few replacements under the warranty period but if it's past 5 years they may offer a gesture of 50/50 cost replacement of a full new dash pad....each case is treated on an individual basis.
I made so much noise that in the end I got a full dash pad replacement totally free of charge....although Land Rover admitted it will still happen again and that the replacement dash pad is not covered under any type of warranty.

It's a pi$$ Poor show really when you consider these vehicles are supposedly prestige cars still...the issue doesn't happen with Toyota Corolla's, Mazda's...lesser vehicles or even high value cars like Merc, BMW and Lexus etc.

Because nearly all RRS will be effected in some way or another the value of the car will not decrease as much as you think....but a good dash is worth slightly more. Ra-Ro Sport Super Dooper Charged.
Ford F350 Super Duty Prototype.
Ni$$@n Patrol 4.8 Overlander.

Post #452783 Tue Feb 17 2015 7:57am
FatJoe

Just checked mine for you and you can faintly see the lines. Very faintly though so I believe its just the sun that makes it worse I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #452859 Tue Feb 17 2015 11:12pm
Streaky

United Arab Emirates 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Alaska White

You're lucky...under the Middle East sun we've seen dash boards that are completely destroyed because of the wrong grade of materials used. This is a serious flaw that Land Rover refused to acknowledge as a defect.

I was lucky to get mine repaired...others are not as fortunate. It's not just around the air bag seams either...a 2mm wide x 5cm long crack has opened up above the instrument cluster on my friends LR3 Discovery that uses the exact same materials. Ra-Ro Sport Super Dooper Charged.
Ford F350 Super Duty Prototype.
Ni$$@n Patrol 4.8 Overlander.

Post #452867 Wed Feb 18 2015 6:12am
Simon73

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

which explains why so many cars over there have carpet put on the dashboard lol Smile

Post #453230 Sat Feb 21 2015 12:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1