RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Steering Vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

DAVIS wrote:
One of the techincians at our local dealership said, "the RRS has a very sensitive steering system and we have had to install a steering dampner to some RRS's in order to cure this problem"

This is an interesting point that David raises - how many of you complaining of the steering vibration have 20" wheels and how many have the steering damper installed? As I understand it, the steering damper was introduced only later in the production.

MDP has posted technical diagrams on this and may know more...??? 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #45117 Fri Jul 14 2006 5:54am
vigneron

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tonga Green

My rover has 19" wheels and dampened steering. 2006 RRS 4.4l V8 Tonga Green/Ivory

Post #45118 Fri Jul 14 2006 6:10am
vigneron

SOLVED?
Today they replaced the conti's with Michelin Diamaris tires. Driving back from the dealer the vibration/wheel shimmy was gone!
So at 7500 miles I have a new front axile, new wheels and new tires. 2006 RRS 4.4l V8 Tonga Green/Ivory

Post #45251 Sat Jul 15 2006 7:07am
vigneron

"ITS BAAAAACK"
The dreaded wheel shimmy-vibration-wobble is slowly returning. I have driven about 300 miles since the new Michelin tires were installed. The steering problem has resumed; less violent than previously but back nonetheless. I know it will get worse with time. I have contacted the dealer and an engineer from Rover will come out on Thursday to access the vehicle. Rover has stated that they know of no vehicles with this problem that remain un-corrected. I know of people on this forum with similar problems. I think that Rover is not willing to admit that there is an issue. The dealer agree's that this has now become a lemon law issue. They will provide me with a full size LR to drive as I now need to start visiting our vineyards. This sucks but LR of Tacoma has treated me well.
_________________ 2006 RRS 4.4l V8 Tonga Green/Ivory

Post #46684 Tue Jul 25 2006 3:39am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Sounds like some sort of tracking/alignment related issue. If you put on a new set of tyres and the problem disappears, but then as the miles go by it returns... it sounds like the tyres are being worn unevenly by being on the car. The tyres lose their roundness and therefore induce the vibration... I take it someone has already suggested having a full alignment done?

PS: Tacoma... is that the same Tacoma with the collapsing bridge? 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #46738 Wed Jul 26 2006 9:09am
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

shmoogle wrote:

PS: Tacoma... is that the same Tacoma with the collapsing bridge?

If I may answer for Vigneron - yes, Tacoma is where the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapsed in the early 40's.

What I'm interested in knowing, is under what label are Vigneron's wines bottled and what varietals do they grow and bottle. I'll be in Vancouver for 10 days starting next week and would like to keep and eye out for his wine while I'm out there.

Alors le vigneron...quels sont tes cépages? 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #46763 Wed Jul 26 2006 10:47am
DSL

United Kingdom 

Singletrack wrote:
Alors le vigneron...quels sont tes cépages?

Spell checkers gone funny in the heat! Wink

Only kidding, I would kill for a glass of vino now! Banging Head

Post #46764 Wed Jul 26 2006 10:54am
vigneron

As to wine-I am the Owner/Winemaker for Harlequin Wine Cellars. The winery is located in Walla Walla Washington. I produce Viognier, Chardonnay, Syrah, Pinot Noir (from a vineyard in the Willamette valley of Oregon) and a Bordeaux blend called Cuvee Alexander. We do not sell in Vancouver B.C. Will you be coming down to Seattle?

My Rover is at the Dealers. I am awaiting word that the Factory rep has driven it and his comments. I would hope that by now they have done an allignment. I think I just have a bad car. 2006 RRS 4.4l V8 Tonga Green/Ivory

Post #46823 Wed Jul 26 2006 6:30pm
PaulB

England 

I've been a little quiet on this subject for a while.
The last time I posted, my car was due to go into Guy Salmon in Coventry. What a fiasco that was. Total bunch of to55ers Mad
Anyway, it has been back at Trinity in Hinckley for the last 2 days and they claim to have fixed the problem and they were talking about drives shafts when I dropped it off, so I'll find out tomorrow when I pick it up.
Having said that, my problem doesn't sound like the "indexing" or "shimeying" that others have described. Mine feels transmission based and nothing to do with the actual steering mechanism, but that's only my guess.
I'll report back tomorrow.

Paul

Post #46834 Wed Jul 26 2006 9:28pm
Lateral5

Australia 

PaulB wrote:
I've been a little quiet on this subject for a while.
The last time I posted, my car was due to go into Guy Salmon in Coventry. What a fiasco that was. Total bunch of to55ers Mad
Anyway, it has been back at Trinity in Hinckley for the last 2 days and they claim to have fixed the problem and they were talking about drives shafts when I dropped it off, so I'll find out tomorrow when I pick it up.
Having said that, my problem doesn't sound like the "indexing" or "shimeying" that others have described. Mine feels transmission based and nothing to do with the actual steering mechanism, but that's only my guess.
I'll report back tomorrow.

Paul

Spoke to a guy at LR today and he gave me the standard LR response "it's a characteristic of the TDV6 and we have sent it to LR UK to review". What a crock! He admitted that it seems to be a common thing, so therefore it is a "charateristic"....ie if everyone has the problem we don't need to sort it out, we can just tell them that it is a characteristic ....what a load of bull:censored: RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #48611 Fri Aug 11 2006 10:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulB

England 

My car is due to go back in on the 21st.
My vibration has now turned into a shimy since Trinity balanced the wheels Rolling Eyes

Paul

Post #48626 Fri Aug 11 2006 3:54pm
p-trax

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Stornoway Grey

I noticed this problem too today (first time I've seen it) the car had been sitting for a week whilst I was away in the US.

Looks like I need to visit the bloody dealer again (although I am still waiting to hear back from my last visit- when I discovered 3 large "fish eyes" and what looks like a painted over "rusty-bubbly" section on teh roof as well as some REALLY badly fitted interior trim).

Ho Hum! Stornaway Grey/Ebony TDV8 HST, September 3rd Smile

Post #49490 Thu Aug 17 2006 10:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulB

England 

As previously posted, my RRS is in at Trinity today to further diagnose the steering vibration.
Well, I've just received a call from them to tell me what the problem is.
They had a LR technician there to help identify the problem and the good news is that they've found it. Very Happy
Apparently, it is a harmonics problem and the vibration stems from the engine itself. This isn't the first car that has exhibited the problem.
The bad news is that they don't have a solution Sad Sad

I don't really know where to go from here.

Paul

Post #50221 Mon Aug 21 2006 3:31pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Just turn the radio up ............. the two noises/resonances should then cancel each other out Wink 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #50233 Mon Aug 21 2006 4:33pm
PaulB

England 

I wish it were that simple Crying or Very sad
Maybe they could swap it for a TDV8 Very Happy

Post #50283 Mon Aug 21 2006 6:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>