RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Steering Vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>

PaulB

England 
Steering Vibration

This isn't the "knocking" or "clonking" that has been the subject of numerous posts.
It is a high frequency, intermitent vibration felt through the steering wheel at low to moderate speeds. It feels more like a binding in the transmission rather than anything steering related.
Has anyone else experienced it ?...and if so, what, if anything, was the cure ?

Thanks,

Paul

Post #22410 Tue Apr 04 2006 1:10pm
Lateral5

Australia 
RRS Vibration

Hi Paul,

Yes, I have the same prob, a shimmy like vibration at 40km/h and then between 50-60km/h and also at 70km/h. Feels like a gear change vibration, but according to the dealer this is normal......not! I believe mine has a dampened steering rack, so obviously this is not the solution! Did read about one guy who had a bent selector rod in the gearbox. That was replaced and apparently sorted it.

Am staying on the job with my LR dealer, so will keep you updated. HAve you had any luck?

Cheers
Tom

Post #37403 Wed Jun 07 2006 11:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulB

England 

Hi Tom,
This doesn't sound like the same thing to me.
I wouldn't describe the problem I have as a "shimmy". That sounds more like an alignment issue. There have been a number of threads on here about poor wheel alignment from new. A full laser alignment normally fixes that particular problem.
Cheers,
Paul

Post #37421 Wed Jun 07 2006 1:59pm
Lateral5

Australia 

Thanks Paul. It's going in for an on-car tyre balance next week, will ask them to do an alignment as well.
Cheers
Tom

Post #37519 Thu Jun 08 2006 8:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Paul, I think ours has done it from new. I would describe it as a mild 'Graunching' (Now there's a word which should be used more often!)

Can't be bothered taking it into dealer until it needs something major doing like a service (Kam, if you need an explanation PM me!) Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #37594 Thu Jun 08 2006 11:10am
PaulB

England 

ST,
Mine has certainly done it from new. It has been into Trinity in Hinckley twice to get it checked and each time they have balanced the wheels, in spite of me assuring them that it nothing to do with the wheel balance. Needless to say, they didn't fix it.
However, I took it to Guy Salmon yesterday and their technician acknowledged that something was amiss, but he would likely have to get LR involved.
It is booked in for the 20th to get it looked at along with a few other minor issues.
I'll let you know what happens.

Paul

Post #37629 Thu Jun 08 2006 12:18pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Do you think they'll try and pin it on your recent mods? Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #37632 Thu Jun 08 2006 12:22pm
Lateral5

Australia 
Re: Steering Vibration

PaulB wrote:
This isn't the "knocking" or "clonking" that has been the subject of numerous posts.
It is a high frequency, intermitent vibration felt through the steering wheel at low to moderate speeds. It feels more like a binding in the transmission rather than anything steering related.
Has anyone else experienced it ?...and if so, what, if anything, was the cure ?

Thanks,

Paul

Hey Paul,

Did you get any resolution to your steering vibrations? Mine sounds like your, from the transmission rather than wheel balance. Tends to happen at tail end of gear changes.

Cheers
Tom RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #44278 Sat Jul 08 2006 1:25pm
DAVIS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Giverney Green

It's driving me nuts! I still feel a low speed vibration in the steering wheel, best described as the steering wheel "indexing" back and forth. The problem however does subside as the tires warm up. This would indicate a "flat spot" in the tires from the vehicle sitting for a period of time. One of the techincians at our local dealership said, "the RRS has a very sensitive steering system and we have had to install a steering dampner to some RRS's in order to cure this problem"

Bottom line, way too many owners having some sort of "vibration" issues, although their descriptions are somewhat varied, the problem is real...

Post #44281 Sat Jul 08 2006 3:47pm
vigneron

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tonga Green

i too have the steering wheel "indexing" problem. It is more evident and violent when the ambient temperature is cold. After load force balancing my tires multiple times with no improvement; the dealer suggested tire flat spots. This would normally go away as the tire heats with extended driving. In my rover it does not. I finally convinced the service guy to drive my car(what an idea!) and he called and said "your wheel really does wobble between 56 and 60 mph". I told him that they had better sort this out quick. I am paying for a Rover and really want to be able to drive it. 2006 RRS 4.4l V8 Tonga Green/Ivory

Post #44283 Sat Jul 08 2006 4:36pm
Zipperman19

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue

I've got the same shimmy. I replaced the tires at 13k and rebalanced the wheels and its still there. Nothing to do with the flat spot. Im beginning to think that whoever manufactures the rims is making them slightly out of round. Maybe one of the casts id off?

Post #44284 Sat Jul 08 2006 6:11pm
discofun

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Same symptoms – different scenario – potential insight:

I had an ’88 Acura Legend coupe with OEM Michelin tires that were smooth driving for 62K all highway miles (tread remaining above wear bands). Then all of a sudden one day I had a terrible shuddering of the steering wheel. Visually everything was fine but it was very interesting to observe that when driving at about 10 (ten) mph the steering wheel would slowly “index” left and right about 3” and as the vehicle speed increased, so did the speed of the “index” and hence the shudder.

Tire dealer said one front tire probably had a slipped belt. Replaced both and all was well again.

Of course that was ages ago and the RRS has a much more sophisticated steering system. I’m not saying that the RRS has brand new tires with bad belts but my experience was that an “indexing” problem was directly related to the tires and not the wheels or steering. However, Zipperman19 replaced his tires to no avail so who knows, perhaps a manufacturing anomaly in some batches or …

Post #44546 Mon Jul 10 2006 2:49pm
vigneron

My dealer is replacing the front axle today. They found it to be "off" by a millionth of something. They have little confidence that this will solve the wheel shimmy but need to do something. Perhaps a new rover is in my future. They swaped out 4 new wheels/tires with mine and the car behaved the same, therefore not a bent wheel or flat spot issue. Heads are being scratched. 2006 RRS 4.4l V8 Tonga Green/Ivory

Post #45083 Thu Jul 13 2006 5:21pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Shocked

This must be causing havoc at LR - it would appear so many RRS's out there whatever the model , are all suffering from some sort of steering/wheel issue - me included Mad

Still ........ we love the vehicles & given time I am sure LR will bottom this problem Rolling Eyes 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #45104 Thu Jul 13 2006 11:20pm
vigneron

update-new axle did not fix the problem. Tomorrow they are fitting new tires. earlier this week they took the wheels and tires off another rover put them on mine and the problem remained. Don't know how the new tires will change things. Come on-someone from land rover it's time to chime in. 2006 RRS 4.4l V8 Tonga Green/Ivory

Post #45114 Fri Jul 14 2006 1:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>