RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > I couldn't leave it alone... Xperia Z3 Tablet build :-)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange
I couldn't leave it alone... Xperia Z3 Tablet build :-)

So having completed the build using the Xperia Ultra, and trailing it for a few weeks I’ve come to the conclusion that it isn’t great, especially with regards the docking and charging. This is largely due to my own incompetence Crying or Very sad , but there was no easy solution to it I feel.

So when I managed to get hold of a Xperia Z3 Tablet, I couldn’t help looking at a completely different approach, along the lines of what Rumz is doing with a his Nexus 7 in place of the stereo.

However, as it’s me Wink , I’m undecided about the location. I’ve ruled out the OEM SatNav location and am looking at either the stereo location or in a more complicated build “floating” on the edge of the SatNav surround close to where I installed the Xperia Ultra… Confused

Here’s a picture of the on dash position:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I think I will trial the former before trying the harder build on the edge of the dash, even though I've placed the tablet here and it looks great IMHO, I have concerns about heat etc. in the summer and my ability to build an appropriate housing/ mounting point.

The Build: Trial of Equipment

I have also gone with the idea of using a DAC and USB FM Radio as Rumz is doing, simply because the parts were cheap and it should make for a better build in the end.

I’ve already wired everything up on the work surface and it seems to work. I had a problem with the FM radio over the DAC in that I was only getting static, but once I changed a few settings and then moved the antenna this was sorted. Further I think once I attach the FM Radio to the Sport’s antenna this problem will be completely resolved.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Complete System
Click image to enlarge

Muse mini USB DAC
Click image to enlarge

Targus powered USB Hub 6 port
Click image to enlarge

RTL USB DAB – FM USB tuner
Click image to enlarge

The Build: Fascia Panel

Next I got a standard Double Din replacement fascia and hacked out all the extra plastic to give me this:

Here are two pictures of the tablet offered up to the fascia, but still in its cover. It’s a tight fit…

The Build: Graphic User Interface (GUI)

I’ve already changed the GUI from the BMW inspired one Rumz is using the Audi 3G Plus MMI for inspiration. I’m very happy with the results and everything apart from some of the telephone functions are working. I’ve also used the home screen wallpaper for all the information and used transparent wigdets to launch Apps or carry out tasks. To get the different home screen wallpapers I’ve used the App FiveWallpapers which allows you to have different wallpapers for each screen.

Here are images of the home screens, lock screen and time/clock screen.
Main Menu
Click image to enlarge

Media Menu
Click image to enlarge

Telephone Menu
Click image to enlarge

Applications Menu
Click image to enlarge

Lock Screen
Click image to enlarge

The Build: Parts

I haven’t included miscellaneous parts like tape, wires, etc or painting as this will depend on your own build.

The Build: Applications

There are obviously other Apps required but these are predominantly preinstalled on your tablet, such and dialer and contacts, google maps, movie players, media players etc. Also, you can get the paid versions of a number of Apps which provide additional functionality or better interfaces.

The Build: Trial Fitting

I trial fitted the fascia and the tablet last night and whilst I’m very happy it fits Very Happy However, I’m Censored that what is sold as a Sport fascia is not Exclamation It’s suited to FL and Discos because the bottom edge is not beveled. So I’ll have to work around that.

Not necessarily a major problem as the magnetic charging connector needs to be permanently positioned. I guess the fiberglass is coming out…. And this will tie in with the mounting of the tablet itself.

Here are the photos of the trial fitting and screens:

Home screen:
Click image to enlarge

Movie:

Clock:

Graphic Equlaiser:

Music Player (Walkman):

Navigation (Sygic):

Home screen:
Click image to enlarge

The Build: Next Steps

1. Seeing if the tablet will fit with the just the stereo front removed, I don’t think so, so I’ll have to dismantle it to make space.
2. Fiberglassing the mounting for the tablet and charging cable.
3. Sorting out the electrics including creating storage for everything behind the dash to free up the upper glove box again. Also try and find a location for a volume dial

Hope you enjoyed Smile

Cheers

Guy[/u] 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #448520 Thu Jan 15 2015 7:33am
darrenmcneill

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Tonga Green

Thumbs Up

Looks great! Very jelous! 2006 HSE for Sale - £7,499 (Manchester)
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic46383.html

Post #448521 Thu Jan 15 2015 8:54am
crammy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey

looks smart mate. looking forward to seeing the finished product

Post #448522 Thu Jan 15 2015 8:57am
rumz

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Looks like some great work there Thumbs Up

Where did you connect the usb dac to?

I've taken my head unit out but what do I need to get the sound?

Post #448665 Fri Jan 16 2015 5:59pm
MXSRR

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Sumatra Black

Good work! I look forward to seeing the finished item. Thumbs Up MY2007 RRS TDV8 Black - tinted glass - side steps- stormer grille - 20" diamond cut alloys - alpaca leather - TV/DVD pack - some blingy chrome bits & bob's

Post #448719 Sat Jan 17 2015 11:37am
Guyzer73

Thanks for the comments guys Thumbs Up

Well after having a technical hick-up (Rumz take note Wink ) I've got the tablet installed and running over the bluetooth for audio and it's sounding great using the EQ equaliser app.

I've decided on the position for all the additional hardware, it'll either be under the central console (gear selector) or behind the heater controls. This will once again free the top cubby box up.

I'm having a problem with the tablet closing/ disconnecting the USB hub etc, it runs one additional source like the DAC but not all 3 Confused researching this now and hopefully get it sorted next weekend...

Rumz, back to your question. I haven't got rid of the HU. I've basically stripped it down like Burns and Roy did in this thread:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic38089.html

But then went a little further to ensure I got the audio back, see page 5-6 of the thread here:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic38089.html

I now have the OEM HU set behind the tablet. Therefore the DAC is plugged into the AUX IN port for the HU. However, I'd only recommend this route if you have a spare housing. Otherwise just reconnect the fascia controls circuit board using the 2 flat cables and ensure the board is suitably insulated not to fry it.

This all means that if the tablet fails I can still use the radio of the HU and also if the battery is disconnected I simply remove the tablet and can the use the HU to set the time Very Happy

All in all once finsihed this should be a great set-up and I'm thinking the last thing I'll do on the Sport. Well at least for a while... Whistle

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...

Post #448744 Sat Jan 17 2015 5:34pm
rumz

Hey Guy,

Cheers...ive stripped it down like you guys and Bluetooth and radio works.
I can also put my nexus in front too (without putting the original HU fascia on).

What I dont know what to do is where will the RCA cable or optical out from the DAC connect to?

Do I have to splice it in the back of the HU?

Post #448760 Sat Jan 17 2015 8:03pm
Guyzer73

Rumz,

I connected the audio out to the Aux In of the HU. This is either via the 3.5mm headphone socket at the back of the centre console in the footwell of the rear seats, or you have to wire it into the Aux In connector as per the instructions from MrFrog.

If you don't want to use the DPDT switch solution you can hardwire the RCA cables directly onto the connector losing the functionality of the rear Aux In.

Cheers

Post #448787 Sun Jan 18 2015 7:41am
Guyzer73

To give you all an idea of the wiring set-up here's a picture Very Happy

Any questions, ask away Smile

For MrFrog's wiring set-up check the link below:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic28159.html

Cheers

Post #448792 Sun Jan 18 2015 9:25am
rumz

OK thanks Guy,

Mr Frogs efforts look quite a bit of effort.

I've never done this before so maybe I need to take if to a shop.

You'd think you could simply just plug it in!

I don't want to plug it into the rear seat aux but into the back of the HU, making it look cleaner.

There are a few empty slots at the back of the ISO loom. Can it be wired into there or only the aux (C2115)? I will have to watch a guide into 'how to splice' lol

Cheers Guy for the help!

Post #448793 Sun Jan 18 2015 9:31am
Guyzer73

Rumz,

I think you could simply cut the rear Aux In wires and splice the RCA connectors directly to the C2115 socket, or at least the wires coming out from it.

This means you would lose the Aux In but that's a small sacrifice, I hardly ever use it, but as I had a good auto electrician and MrFrog's diagram I decided to go with it, as it gave me 3 points for aux in. Those being hardwired tablet, BT receiver and the OEM Aux in. All controlled from the switch.

Cheers

Post #448794 Sun Jan 18 2015 9:42am
rumz

Cheers Guy.

So basically I've stripped it down to just the metal head unit without the fascia (black control unit).

Now, radio works and it can cycle through the Mode and directional buttons on the steering but when I press mode, it goes to a blank channel. Aux doesn't seem to work.

Would I have to have the control fascia back on?

Post #448842 Sun Jan 18 2015 3:38pm
Guyzer73

Rumz, basically yes. I posted somewhere here that the mode button doesn't select the Aux In. This is why I wanted FM radio over the tablet as I was working on the assumption that I couldn't switch to Aux In from the steering wheel. This meant either I retain the HU which I didn't want to do, or find another solution, that being a USB DAB FM radio or using the in built Sony radio.

For you I guess you'll have to go the USB route as the nexus doesn't come with an fm radio.

Good luck, and sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings Wink

Cheers

Post #448856 Sun Jan 18 2015 5:42pm
rumz

Not at all mate. You've been a great help.

I wouldn't have got this far without you!

Right - so I'm thinking maybe I separate the PCB from the control fascia and see if that works. I would lobe to cut off the tabs like you've done but I want to retain it for when I sell.

If the PCB doesn't work then is there anyway of extending the flexi ribbon (white with blue tabs) so that I can put that into the glove box?

I will see if I can just us the aux in at the rear seat but keep it hidden inside somewhere.

Nearly getting there.

My nexus is ready to go in. Actually, I might want to steal your setup/homepage if that's cool?

Post #448886 Sun Jan 18 2015 8:44pm
Guyzer73

Rumz,

The PCB should work on its own, at least mine did, however you need to keep it insulated so you don't short it out by mistake.

Extending the flat cables should also work you need to count the individual wires in the flat cable and then google search a retailer for extended versions. From what I've read elsewhere max cable length that works is about 6ft or 2m. You'd need less than that to reroute to the upper glove box.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll forward all the home screen files. There's lots as I've had to grab images from the net and adapt them etc to keep the Audi theme going.

Regards

Post #448943 Mon Jan 19 2015 5:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>