RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Steering wheel locked, key fob or something else ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mikeyranson

Wales 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze
Steering wheel locked, key fob or something else ?

I have a RRS 2010. Over the last few weeks, when i have tried to start the car by pressing the start button and depress the brake pedal, now and then, the car has failed to start. I have at times, attempted several times to get started.
Parked up the other night and when i was ready to go, car would not start. Tried for nearly 20 minutes before giving up and calling breakdown.
The message on the dashboard was saying steering wheel locked. reading the book says to move the wheel to left and right in an attempt to release it, which did not work. The fob operated everything else as normal except start the car. I even tried putting in a new battery.
The breakdown guy turned up, checked the battery, checked the diagnostics and no faults found. He jumped the battery and the car started. Coincidence or what? Turned off and tried a few more times and started each time. He said that it maybe a faulty fob, so i started to use my second fob. All seemed well until today, it took 3 or 4 attempts to start the car. "Steering wheel locked" shown on the dashboard, no display for saying battery is flat on car or for the fob.
I was going to get the fobs re-programmed taking advice from my dealer saying that, it could be the fob but now both fobs have shown the same fault, my attentions is drawn that it is something else, maybe a receiver that the fobs transmit too.
I have tried several dealers and they are all reluctant to share too much info. they all want you to put your car in to run tests which they obviously charge for.
any ideas or fixes.

Post #412980 Fri Feb 07 2014 1:40pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I know you state battery tested, this the main battery and not the fob battery?

With the age of your RRS in mind, batteries on their way out (and the age of yours is about right if the original) cause all the weird illogical electronic type faults such as this.

Be worth a battery and alternator check and likely battery replacement...

Post #412982 Fri Feb 07 2014 1:46pm
mikeyranson

Hi,
The breakdown guy tested the cars battery. This was good as well as charging. I changed the fob batteries for new ones. As it is. I just been shopping and the car won't start again. So waiting for breakdown again.
I can safely rule out now the fobs. It has to be a receiver or something else that I suspect is going to be expensive

Post #412985 Fri Feb 07 2014 3:08pm
mikeyranson

Update

Had the car towed to my local LR dealer. Beadles in Sidcup. The tech there was in two minds and a strange fault for him.
It was either the cluster module that locks the steering wheel or the fob receiver module. The first being £800 and the second being £200. We sat and chatted and convinced me to change the £800 as all evidence was pointing this way where i agreed. Had the car back three days and starting everytime.
Will keep you updated if anything changes.

Post #414136 Sat Feb 15 2014 2:59pm
diamond71

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black

I have the same problem with my 2010 hse, did you have any further problems or did this fix work?. thanks

Post #443531 Mon Nov 24 2014 6:16pm
mikeyranson

Yes it did work. no problem since fitting of the new part. Been perfect since. Just one of those electronic things that screw up but expensive.

Post #443534 Mon Nov 24 2014 7:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1