RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Some sort of electrical problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Dappz

Some sort of electrical problem

Hi. I'm a newbie to this forum and need a bit of help with a 2010 RRS TDV6 I bought last week.
I bought the vehicle damaged off my mate. The rear tailgate is smashed and the vehicle has been stood for two month and the battery had gone dead. I had to get into the vehicle using the key blade on the front passenger door and accessed the bonnet and fitted a new battery. Once the battery was fitted, I couldn't unlock the remaining doors with the fob so had to climb in from the passenger side. The vehicle would not recognise the smart key so after about 10 mins of trying to start it by placing the smart key under the steering column, I managed to get it started.
The problem that I'm left with now is that once I get it running the doors cannot be unlocked, the windows don't work, the heaters don't work and the stereo/computer don't work either.
Does anyone know what might be causing this? Is it some control unit at fault?

Thanks

Post #433874 Thu Aug 21 2014 12:37pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

These RRS are very temperamental when it comes to the electrics. A lot of your issues will be caused by the dead battery. You really need to give it a FULL charge or replace it like for like if the battery is naff. Are the rear lights smashed too? Faulty rear brake light bulbs cause all sorts of warning lights to show up on the dash.
Welcome to RRS ownership and to the site. Hope you get it sorted. Thumbs Up

Post #433877 Thu Aug 21 2014 1:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Beancounter_74

England 

Have you checked the fuses (behind the glovebox) ?

As Ady says, I would do a full charge, then a 'hard' reset and see what that does. ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #433878 Thu Aug 21 2014 1:08pm
Dappz

I have put a brand new battery in it. Only 1 tail light is smashed and the wiring that goes from the top of the tailgate towards the roof lining is cut just before the plugs so I will be need a new loom for the tailgate. I've checked the fuses in the fusebox under the bonnet just beside the battery and the are all ok.
Are they the fuses your referring to or are there some inside the car behind the glovebox????
Could it also be something called the BCM?
How would I perform a hard reset?

Thanks guys

Post #433882 Thu Aug 21 2014 1:21pm
Beancounter_74

England 

There is a fuse box behind the glove box yes that should control the windows etc - it's worth checking, details of which ones do what will be in the Op manual. Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #433883 Thu Aug 21 2014 1:25pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I would only perform a hard reset when you have sorted your rear lights and tailgate wiring loom. Otherwise you will still be getting a dashboard lit up like a christmas tree.
Hard reset... Disconnect the battery, both poles + & - wait for 20 minutes, Hold both the + & - leads together for 10 seconds, leave a further 10 minutes before reconnecting to the battery. Reset complete. But, this will wipe out any fault codes stored in the ECU.

Post #433887 Thu Aug 21 2014 2:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dappz

I'm away from the vehicle until next week and I shall check all the fuses behind the glovebox and if that don't solve it then I'll do the hard reset once I've sorted the tailgate and tail lights outs.
I'll let you guys know how I get on.
Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Post #433897 Thu Aug 21 2014 7:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1