RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > New Owner, RRS Supercharged. Help please..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

ian-r

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
New Owner, RRS Supercharged. Help please..

Hi everyone, great forum and already spent literally hours looking through. Not long bought a RRS supercharged 55 plate and love it already! When I bought the car it had a few faults and managed to get a fair amount of money knocked off. Can anyone assist with advice though on the following?

1) The rear entertainment doesn't play DVD's. Both screens work / illuminate and audio plays through both the rear door card headphone sockets. The dvd changer in the boot will not eject though at all and powers down after around 30 seconds or so. When I select DVD on the touch screen it will not load anything up. Am I in thinking the DVD changer is no good, as its getting power and the screens work?

2) Coolant level low, which it isn't and from searching the forum it appears a common fault. Can I replace just the senor or is a complete unit required for the float?

3) An annoying bluetooth problem, it has a nokia bluetooth unit mounted near to the DVD changer in the boot. I presume this must be after market? A phone will search and connect to it no problem showing it has paired. It will work through the car but as soon as you turn the car off for any length of time it seems to forget the phone and pairing is required again! Annoying!

Other than these annoying faults everything seems to be good, the air conditioning doesn't work and I found a small hole in the condenser so I bought a new one, I was expecting a huge bill for the part but it was £98 delivered from the internet and will fit it myself so happy with that.

Its also going in for LPG conversion next week. Plan to keep the car for 4 - 5 years at least so looking to get it how I want, hopefully will become a regular contributor here on the forums.

Cheers, Ian

Post #431325 Wed Jul 23 2014 8:01am
Bungleaio

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

Hi Ian, I don't know about the screens/dvd or coolant issues but I'm surprised you have an aftermarket Bluetooth kit fitted to the car as they should come with a factory fitted kit.

Also and forgive me if you have already looked into this but from what I've seen LPG conversions on this engine don't seem to end well. They are fine for a while but the valve seats are quite soft and they soon erode away from LPG use.

Fantastic choice of car though but I may be a little biased Thumbs Up

Post #431326 Wed Jul 23 2014 8:43am
ian-r

Cheers for the reply.

Yeh I have been reading up on it for a while / speaking to fitters about it. Apparently the 4.2 does suffer with valve recession if it is run on LPG, to overcome it they use a lubrication which is injected into the gas i think, and overcomes the problem. Its done electronically and if the lubrication runs out the system switches off reverting back to petrol not to damage the valves.

LPG tank going where the spare wheel is and the filled behind the bumper trim so no ghastly filler on the quarter panel.

The noise this thing makes ..... Thumbs Up

Post #431328 Wed Jul 23 2014 9:06am
Bungleaio

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

Fair play, if it's a flash lube kit they install then I have about 4 litres of it left from when I had an impreza which was on LPG. You are welcome to it if you want it, I'm just off the M69.

Post #431331 Wed Jul 23 2014 9:23am
speedy2009

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Don't LPG it it will all go wrong just leave the car be mate

Post #431421 Wed Jul 23 2014 10:45pm
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Re: New Owner, RRS Supercharged. Help please..

ian-r wrote:

3) An annoying bluetooth problem, it has a nokia bluetooth unit mounted near to the DVD changer in the boot. I presume this must be after market? A phone will search and connect to it no problem showing it has paired. It will work through the car but as soon as you turn the car off for any length of time it seems to forget the phone and pairing is required again! Annoying!

this is a default feature as far as im aware of it, mine does this also, unfortunately. I know that Bodsy has a solution, check this thread for example:
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post427587.html#427587 Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #431422 Wed Jul 23 2014 10:55pm
ian-r

Bungleaio: Thanks very much for the offer, very kind of you.

speedy2009: It was a concern of mine however I have been doing lots of research on it and must have called 20 plus installers of the Country and haven't had one of them say they get issues. Apparently with older kits they couldnt feed it with enough gas on wide open throttle but the latest kits give it enough. They dont like doing the supercharge as they have to take the charge off. Hopefully it should all work out ok.

tanloverluke: At least it just isnt me, I have emailed him thanks but clicking the link to his thread but people seem to think he has now gone off the forum Big Cry Do you know anyone else who can do this?

Update on the other problems, did some diagnostics on the car and everything pointed to the DVD changer in the boot. Got a new one from eBay, plugged it in and everything works brilliantly, even the remote control. Cheap fix at £100.

Air con wasn't working either so I had it gassed only to find the condenser leaking. New condenser bought at £100 delivered next day (great price I thought). Took me around four hours to fit and it now works a dream.

Now I have everything working as it should I can concentrate on sorting some little bits of bodywork out. Priced tyres up at £70 per corner for budgets, Hiq highly recommend them as well saying they wear well.

BTW, I LOVE this car! Previously had a TVR Tuscan, 350z, BMW, Audi's etc but this really is something else.

Post #431609 Fri Jul 25 2014 4:20pm
Mister B

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Hi ian-r

what size are the tyres you can get for 40 quid a corner

Post #431628 Fri Jul 25 2014 6:50pm
gazzc

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

Dont replace sensor it wont work buy complete expansion bottle, definitely dont lpg flash lube crap or not your car will suffer valve recesion , sorry for being a tad abrupt but Ihave been there on both Thumbs Up silverRRS 2.7 TDV6 22"WHEELS FULL COLOUR CODE,STEPS,REMAP..gone
Rimini red rrs 2.7 tdv6 steps. Full c code. Recon engine!!loved but!gone ,thank god !!
Gone rr sport supercharged. Loved but 11mpg !!!
current,triumph stag mk2...current bmw 325 sport convertible

Post #431634 Fri Jul 25 2014 8:18pm
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

i know this guy can upgrade the bluetooth module but it shows that he's away, so maybe it is Bodsy:

http://www.bluetoothexchange.co.uk/

i can't find a price Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #431664 Sat Jul 26 2014 10:37am
tailormadefun

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

Hello mate I have the same car as you,

The Nokia Bluetooth module is the standard LR fit, as stated get the updated one from wiggs

The whole coolant header tank needs to be changed, parts are 30 quid and you can do it your self

Never ever LPG the 4.2 or you will end up with a skip on wheels, as the engine will break

Post #432209 Sun Aug 03 2014 9:21am
ian-r

Thanks everyone. Do you have a link for the part, or is that from a motor factors ?

Also, reference the lpg, after much research it's going in tomorrow to be done. I know people seem to hate it here but over on the lpg forums the general thoughts are go with a high end lpg system (BRC) and install valve lube protection and it drastically reduces VSR. Lots of people on there running it well for over 20k miles with no issues reported.

For Me, it's the only way I can justify running it every day, makes it a lot more reasonable. If anyone is interested I will post experiences (good and bad ) and costings etc. reference the cost, I got the car at the right money and plan to keep 4-5 years so it should see a good return. If the valve seats do go I can take the heads off myself and a local engineering company have said they can fit harden seats. That's worse case though.

I can easily say after 2 weeks ownership it's the best car I have ever owned.

Post #432222 Sun Aug 03 2014 10:52am
jenko2005

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver

i had converted a 4.6hse p38 with only 24k on the clock a few years ago to gas spent about 5k on the gas kit top of the range, went through 4 catalytic converters it never ran the same after i ended up part xing and taking a big loss dont make the same mistake as i did you will regret it

Post #432245 Sun Aug 03 2014 5:21pm
gazzc

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

i have owned 3 lpg rr and all Censored up big time silverRRS 2.7 TDV6 22"WHEELS FULL COLOUR CODE,STEPS,REMAP..gone
Rimini red rrs 2.7 tdv6 steps. Full c code. Recon engine!!loved but!gone ,thank god !!
Gone rr sport supercharged. Loved but 11mpg !!!
current,triumph stag mk2...current bmw 325 sport convertible

Post #432246 Sun Aug 03 2014 6:23pm
hodjie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

i cant understand why you would buy a supercharged when you cant run it as intended Shocked

Post #432249 Sun Aug 03 2014 6:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>