RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Stolen Headlights, Rear Lights and Grilles - Land Rover UK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>

muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I think this is the way to go for marking lights http://www.idmark.com/idmark/idmark.html Thumbs Up

Quote:
ID MARK - Security Marking System

ID MARK is a permanent visual security marking system for valuable items and equipment that can be used with confidence on most plastics and other porous surfaces.

Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #424391 Thu May 15 2014 2:01pm
dcartner

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Alaska White

Just in - hospital car park cancer patient

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news...4_raiders/

Extract from the article:

'Sean Conroy wrote to Land Rover after a witness said his car’s headlights and grille were stripped within 30 seconds.
He received a response, and said: “I would draw attention to the fact that Land Rover state, ‘I would like to assure you Land Rover makes every possible effort to ensure vehicle’s components are as secure as possible’.

Really? Thirty seconds to smash a passenger window, pop the bonnet and strip the whole front of the car. Extremely secure!”

A spokesman for Land Rover said: “The vehicles in question are older vehicles and are no longer in production. There is no design fault or design issue with the vehicles.”
He added that all Range Rovers meet insurance industry requirements. The spokesman insisted it was a police matter, rather than an issue for Land Rover.'

Can't believe the response from LR. 'Older vehicles' I forgot that an 8 month old car that's still under warranty is classed as old? Confused Censored

Last edited by dcartner on Thu May 15 2014 3:52pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #424394 Thu May 15 2014 2:24pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Just had a reply from Dantech to advise not suitable for headlights Big Cry

Quote:
Thanks your enquiry - regret we have no paste suitable for headlights.
We no longer do window marking
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #424400 Thu May 15 2014 3:04pm
AndyKay

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

spud1234 wrote:
Stratstone Teeside just had 3 done on their forecourt last week. Think when the dealers start getting hit LR may take notice. However if there is a market for these parts then it will happen regardless.

Shocked wow RRS HSE TDV6 Autobiography

Post #424410 Thu May 15 2014 5:00pm
Slider

United Kingdom 

Looks like I got in before they pulled out....does work on headlights...no reason not to, the etching fluid is essentially an acid compound...I also marked the grill assembly... Thumbs Up MY12 SDV6 HSE LUX Pack Indus Silver + Privacy Glass

Post #424411 Thu May 15 2014 5:01pm
RRS Daz

I don't know why it just isn't the forecourts getting hit??!?!!

You can do 10 sports in one trip v's having to find 10 seperate sports.

Post #424412 Thu May 15 2014 5:04pm
dcartner

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Alaska White

I know that our dealer has stepped up their security around the premises now.

Farnells had a few done over one night a month back, resulting in a security guard vs 3 men brawl... All on CCTV too.

Post #424415 Thu May 15 2014 5:20pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Quote:

Really? Thirty seconds to smash a passenger window, pop the bonnet and strip the whole front of the car. Extremely secure!”

Poor JLR, they just cant win.

We would all be moaning if they were built as Euroboxes, and required a front end stripdown to remove the headlight to replace a bulb...

Post #424448 Thu May 15 2014 9:03pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Poor JLR... Shocked
They are the ones cashing in on all these thefts Whistle It can't be doing their reputation much good at the moment with the new sports being stolen just as quick as someone can steal the lights off a RRS1, i'm sure it will have an effect on sales sooner or later with the attitude L/R have expressed towards this problem Shocked It isn't doing our insurance much good either i suspect come renewal time. Evil or Very Mad
The reward for these items far outway any punishment implemented. Banging Head

Post #424455 Thu May 15 2014 9:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Nobody is asking for a front end strip down to change a bulb - it used to be as easy as releasing a spring and popping out bulb ONLY to swap but I expect a £1000 headlamp to be held in by screws/bolts not quick release clip Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #424456 Thu May 15 2014 9:54pm
PEACHY

England 

Ady - add to that `stress - vehicle downtime - additional transport costs & Censored inconvenience` Big Cry 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #424457 Thu May 15 2014 9:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mikey72

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

Ady 555 wrote:
Poor JLR... Shocked
They are the ones cashing in on all these thefts Whistle It can't be doing their reputation much good at the moment with the new sports being stolen just as quick as someone can steal the lights off a RRS1, i'm sure it will have an effect on sales sooner or later with the attitude L/R have expressed towards this problem Shocked It isn't doing our insurance much good either i suspect come renewal time. Evil or Very Mad
The reward for these items far outway any punishment implemented. Banging Head

Think about it... It's those who are happy to buy stolen goods rather than go to a dealer who are creating the demand. If each time these criminals stole the headlamps the victims went to dealers and not to eBay or the bloke in the pub, then they would be getting stuck with headlamps and realise it wasn't worth the risk. Viscious cycle but not one being caused by JLR, being caused by theives and people who want to buy an expensive car but think it should cost the same as a cheap brand for parts and services so go elsewhere.

I'm surprised anyone is still blaming JLR over people smashing windows, after 4 pages I would have thought people would stop being so ridiculous. Someone willing to smash a widow to steal parts will do whatever it takes to remove parts. If they put bolts or screws in do you think it would take much more than an extra minute for them to unscrew them once they realise? It's a bad situation but I do wonder how many are just jumping on to complain about something that hasn't even affected them like with the stolen cars when it seems only 1? 2? On the whole forum have actually had one stolen yet it's been made out to be a massive common problem despite BMW suffering much worse.

The only thing that would possibly improve things is if all headlights had to have a very visable serial no on them at the time they are produced (pressed into the casing/moulding) that couldn't be removed and at the time of registering the vehicle or anytime they are replaced, the serial numbers are noted, then of ever stolen the numbers be provided to all LR dealers and every service / work carried out they check the serials against stolen ones. Problem being as I said earlier, people buying on the cheap and not really caring that they are providing the market for theives to steal and would be the ones who would have their lights seized as stolen goods (ignorance of being in possession of stolen goods is not considered a reasonable excuse btw).

Last edited by Mikey72 on Fri May 16 2014 12:06am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #424461 Thu May 15 2014 11:41pm
SPX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

So let me just catch-up; thieves like to take stuff for free and it's Land Rovers fault?

I could quite easily walk into a shop and pinch a Mars bar but I don't. And if I did would that be the fault of the Mars bar?

Post #424464 Fri May 16 2014 12:06am
Mikey72

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

You got it in one SPX Thumbs Up

In other news: Muggings are the fault of Bank of England Laughing

Post #424465 Fri May 16 2014 12:09am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Manufacturers are making it easier to steal these parts unbeknown to them at the time, despite years and years of trying to make cars more secure. They even employ ex convicts to help them with security. Obviously there's always a way round security, if there's a way in, there has to be a way out, but this information is being shared with the wrong people. Will it ever stop? No. I agree, if there is someone out there to buy these parts on the cheap, then there will always be a demand. But now we hear that they are using the front headlamps for growing plants Shocked So while there is a use for these parts, they are always going to get stolen. Now if it took 5+ minutes to steal these parts, and perhaps we had a louder horn on our vehicles, do we think it would be as rife as what it is at the moment Question In my opinion, if things are more secure in the first place, the less likely they are going to get stolen. In Land Rovers defence, they had all the so called tests done at the beginning of the production of the RRS1, and because L/R got a certificate to say "our sports have passed all the tests" they are not really intrested in our parts going missing now, because there wasn't a demand or other use for these parts at that time. Its only become an issue since they facelifted the sport. Its easy to point the finger......As most people often do.

Post #424471 Fri May 16 2014 7:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>