Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > bye bye after 8 days
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Guernseygeordie

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
bye bye after 8 days

Hi all,

After only 8 days of owning a 2006 RRS SC, ive rejected it and sent it back to the dealer! Out of the 8 days, it has been in the workshop for 5 of them!

First of all the keys wouldnt work - minor issue and new keys ordered. Then the new key couldnt be coded so a 'master system reset' was performed. SC kept in overnight

After the reset, the parking sensors failed to activate for a good few hours. working now

Then i woke up one morning and the passenger footwell was soaking wet, apparently down to a blocked drain pipe, but have been told it could be something else. It has been sitting in the workshop since wednesday and they have only put the dehumidifier on it today.

The final straw was after starting the SC, the HDC Inactive fault message came up on the instrument panel along with the ABS light and a light to the right of it. The dealer has said that there is 'a fault' and that 'a part' has been ordered but couldnt tell me what was wrong and what had been ordered.

Ive taken legal advice and looking to get a full refund or the SC replaced.

Shame really as its put me off owning another RR.

Post #423095 Fri May 02 2014 2:54pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Shame you had a bad experience - if you found a good one it could have been so great Sad

I too would reject but try and find a better dealer/RRS Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #423098 Fri May 02 2014 3:01pm
Guernseygeordie

Theres only 1 dealer on Guernsey who will supply RR's. Looks like i might have to go over to the mainland to get one

Post #423102 Fri May 02 2014 3:13pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

A reputable dealer selling a vehicle should ensure everything is checked and working prior to it going on sale but in my experience customer are now responsible for QC so the dealer saves money on anything you miss Rolling Eyes

In recent years LR dealers have let standards slip IMHO and this is inexcusable looking at the rapidly increasing prices Evil or Very Mad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #423104 Fri May 02 2014 3:22pm
louischristie8

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

i purchased an approved used rr sport from peterborough and there was loads wrong with it... Such silly things like worn wipers, tracking / alignment out, bushes very badly worn, one light pointing down towards the ground. Makes me wonder why i paid a 5 grand premium to buy from Land Rover. Anyway my point was i agree LR have let quality / service slip Sad

Post #423105 Fri May 02 2014 3:25pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: bye bye after 8 days

Guernseygeordie wrote:

The final straw was after starting the SC, the HDC Inactive fault message came up on the instrument panel along with the ABS light and a light to the right of it. The dealer has said that there is 'a fault' and that 'a part' has been ordered but couldnt tell me what was wrong and what had been ordered.

That could just be a poorly battery if they left it with a drain on it for too long in the workshop. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #423119 Fri May 02 2014 7:03pm
Texstar

United Kingdom 

The so called 'approved used' title that LR dealers give means absolutely f Censored k all, truly they check nothing, and rectify sod all before slapping it on the forecourt for all us honest folk to come along and be sucked in. Buying from a LR dealer is extremely risky IMHO, you need to go in fully educated in what can possibly be wrong with these vehicles. They come off the production line, brand spanking new, with faults, because the quality control idiots are half asleep, so what are the chances of getting a good second hand one I ask you ? Evil or Very Mad RRS TDV8 Buck Blue (no, not now in my dreams). ..........D3 TDclankety clankV6 ............BMW 318i

Post #423136 Sat May 03 2014 1:28am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I might be wrong but the logic seems to be that if the car's service history is up-to-date and there's no faults on the display then they do not seem to bother to check anything.

I've had some errors/horrors on cars that I viewed at dealers...

Missing spare wheel, winch cable cut.

Battery clamp loose and in-correct battery fitted.

Hydraulic fluid leaking from rear anti-roll bar.

Faulty rear suspension bellows.

Faulty air-compressor.

Wheel size not matching advert

Car different colour to advert

Mileage not matching advert

Reg number not matching advert
cars
Wrong tax disc.

One owner car with 3 names on V5.

HPI checked and cleared mileage on a one-owner car that was actually a write-off with lower mileage than 6 months earlier

Remember these are all relatively young cars at LR dealer's that had been 'checked' through the workshop.

My advice is drive on long test drive, get it on a ramp and only believe what you see and contact previous owner then give them a written (emailed) checklist to be cleared before taking ownership.

After buying list absolutely anything that concerns you in an email within 21 days.

Post #423156 Sat May 03 2014 11:41am
Mikey72

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

Quite a few "blanket" statements. Think you will definately find the experience differs from one dealer to the next. Generally in my experience the one off or smaller groups tend to be much better than the likes of Stratstone. Maybe this is because Stratstone can afford to lose customers while the small groups / one offs depend on repeat business and customer loyalty much more.

If buying used I generally go for 2 year old vehicles so I have a year manufacturers warranty that the dealer can't wriggle out of. Anything over 3 years I see little point in worry if its LR approved or an independent garage, just make sure as the previous poster said, that you raise any problems as soon as you know about them. You have 6 months from buying where any fault is assumed to have been present at the time of sale and they have to prove it wasn't, after that 6 months IF they gave you any additional warranty, it's then you who has to prove it was present when they sold it.

Final rule... If something seems too cheap and too good to be true, it usually is! So test drive BEFORE buying and don't settle for just 20 minutes, if they are serious about selling then get the longest you can (I've been given one for a day previously because the dealer had sold me vehicles previously so knew I was a genuine potential buyer). Get it checked out, find out what dealers it's been to and give them a call (tell them you own the car). And get the car well checked by someone qualified too.

Remember tho, things do go wrong and just because something does after buying a car, it's not always because there was a problem before they sold it, not all dealers are trying to get rid of lemons.

Post #423159 Sat May 03 2014 11:58am
Guernseygeordie

Hi all

Quick update, Found out today that the HDC switch and the compressor for the rear air suspension were Censored !
I'll be accepting the vehicle back after a thourough inspection by an Indy. All of the work carried out under warrenty so not cost me anything. Have written a contract which has been signed by them stating that if there's anymore faults witching the next 60 days then they will take the vehicle back with no penalty to us. They will also replace the SC with a suitable car with a £5k apology!!

Post #423598 Wed May 07 2014 10:06pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Excellent result and good example of how to restore customers confidence Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #423628 Thu May 08 2014 8:34am
Guernseygeordie

Another Update

Got the car back from the dealers yesterday - and all i can say is im impressed.

The whole car has been machine polished and had a full valet and looks amazing!! The small scuff on one of the alloys has been repaired.

Eventually the work that was carried out consisted of-:

Replacing the sunroof drain plugs
Replacing an enigne belt (slight 'chirp' coming from it)
Replaced the drivers door seal
Replaced the HDC Switch
Full Valet and Machine Polish

AND £100 of Petrol by way of an apology!

Still made them sign the contract and hopefull that will be it for me!!!!

Looking forward to my 350 mile journey from Guernsey to Newcastle next month!!!

Post #424561 Sat May 17 2014 2:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1