RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > What's an acceptable in-car camera GPS lock-on time?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey
What's an acceptable in-car camera GPS lock-on time?

I had a Blackvue camera that was replaced because it needed more than 20minutes to achieve a GPS location fix.

Doing my research this is what one in-car camera manufacturer said...

“Three modes of GPS start up.

Hot - if unit has been off for only a few seconds then the GPS should lock on within a minute
Warm - if unit has been off for 5-10 minutes then the GPS should lock on within 15 minutes
Cold - if unit has been off for more than 1 hour, reset or moved for more than 500 miles when switched off then the GPS may take 40 minutes to lock on.

It during the time of trying to lock on the vehicle is moving it may take longer to lock on due to the vehicles movement. “

These seem very generous margins; 40 minutes could apply to every daily commuter and then saying this may be longer if the car's moving seems silly! I can't see anyone waiting for the GPS to activate before getting underway.

None of the other bits of GPS kit in my cars take anywhere as long; usually they get a fix in seconds not minutes.

What do you think is a reasonable GPS fix time?

Post #417354 Tue Mar 11 2014 8:13pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Where is it positioned? Mine is behind the rear view mirror and takes about 20 seconds to lock on.

Post #417486 Wed Mar 12 2014 8:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drdelrrs

^^^ Same place.

The point I was making is that the design/maker's spec does not reflect reality..

My new unit gets a lock within a minute or so.

Post #417498 Wed Mar 12 2014 9:03pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I have been asked to send mine back for them to deal with it now as it connects intermittently - the old model I gave my son is still working ok Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #417522 Wed Mar 12 2014 10:59pm
drdelrrs

I've now changed from the Blackvue 500HD to a Mi-Witness unit. It was about the same value although there's a deal that included a rear camera and 'smart power' unit for just under 300notes.

While the functionality of the software ain't quite as comprehensive as the Blackvue it does seem to locks-on to satellites much quicker when fitted in the same position but not as quick as my speed camera warning or other GPS units.

My Pogo Alert+ speed camera unit came with a socket that allowed the use of an external GPS antenna which meant it could be located more discretely. I wondered about fitting a similar socket to the camera but the internal antenna is an integral part of the camera's PCB so that's scuppered that idea.

The other possibility is that you can buy a re-radiating antenna for about £40. These have an external aerial on the outside of the car connected to an internal unit that can be fitted in the cigar lighter socket and it amplifies and 're-radiates' the signal any GPS items in the car.

Undoubtedly the heated and glare reducing spec. of the Sport's windscreen does frustrate good GPS signal transmission so the re-radiating antenna could be a good move but its going to be a faff to fit.

Post #417550 Thu Mar 13 2014 10:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1