RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Is it too much care ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

G4LAND

Spain 
Is it too much care ??

I've an obsession that wan to share with you guys Shocked
In all my new cars I use to change oil and filter before the first official maintenance; it's around the first 5000 KM. Then I follow the maintenance periods. What do you think about ? Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN

13 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE SDV6
Orkney Grey/Black
(Spain)

07 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE TDV8
JavaBlack/Black
(SOLD)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
(Spain)

02 DEFENDER 90 BLACK LE TD5
(SOLD)

13 FREELANDER 2 (LR2) HSE Lux SI4
Havana/Black
(Mexico)

Post #409579 Wed Jan 15 2014 8:40am
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

I change the oil and filter every 5000 miles on my cars 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #409624 Wed Jan 15 2014 2:19pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Changing the oil on a very regular basis, especially in a Diesel engine, can only be a good thing!

Jim

Post #409727 Thu Jan 16 2014 7:48am
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Can`t do any harm at all. Smile

Post #409740 Thu Jan 16 2014 10:15am
G4LAND

Spain 

Thumbs Up I will change oil and filter next Thursday in Barcelno. It'll have around 6500Km Smile 4500 since December 11 Razz

Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN

Orkney Grey/Black
(Spain)

JavaBlack/Black
(SOLD)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
(Spain)

(SOLD)

Havana/Black
(Mexico)

Post #409815 Thu Jan 16 2014 8:06pm
jochem00

jim4244 wrote:
Changing the oil on a very regular basis, especially in a Diesel engine, can only be a good thing!

Jim

Well, I am not so sure about that!!

the Carbon particles which end up in the oil are a very good lubricant!! it is like graphite powder in a lock.

oil does age by meaning that the dopes in the oil go off. which can also be caused by sour petrol and not tight old engines/worn piston rings.

so for our modern diesels. no need to change the oil that often. it can even be worse for your engine.

some 12 years ago I bought a brand new Ford Mondeo diesel and drove 260.000 kms with it during 4to5 years. I can only remember that I topped the engine oil up. If I have done or paid for an oil change it must have been once or twice max. All I did to the car was a new windscreen, two sets of tires and brakes and a ballast/resistor for the ventilation. when I sold the car with a virgin maintenance record book, it still ran like new, very economic and no smoke.

So if you want to waste money on unnecessary oil changes, go ahead!!

Post #409882 Fri Jan 17 2014 2:09pm
G4LAND

Spain 

Thumbs Up interesting point.... Maybe something in between ? Question
I know the new engines are very well adjust and is not like in the past that it was necessary to drive very easy during a period of time (5000km more lees) and make a oil and filter change. But anyway, I spouse that a new engine still having little adjust during a period of time....
Sorry about my English and hopes you will understand what I'm trying to express. Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN

Orkney Grey/Black
(Spain)

JavaBlack/Black
(SOLD)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
(Spain)

(SOLD)

Havana/Black
(Mexico)

Post #410003 Sat Jan 18 2014 10:19am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Jochem,

Interesting. Just curious to know if you can refer us to the evidence for that theory about carbon (presumably in elemental form) being a good thing. The only information I can find is directly at odds with your comments.

"Soot is a by-product of combustion and exists in all in-service diesel engine motor oils. It reaches the engine by various means of blow-by during engine operation. While the presence of soot is normal and expected for a given number of miles or hours of service on an engine oil, the concentration and state of soot may be abnormal, signaling a problem with the engine and/or a need for an oil change. Following are some issues related to soot contamination:

Combustion efficiency is directly related to the soot generation rate. Poor ignition timing, restricted air filter and excessive ring clearance cause high soot load. Combustion problems are not solved by an oil change.

New diesel engines designed for lower emissions have higher injection pressures. This corresponds to increased sensitivity to abrasive wear (for example, from soot) between rocker, shaft and rocker bearing and can lead to rocker arm seizure. New exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) units on diesel engines amplify the amount and abrasivity of soot production.

Viscosity increases with soot load. However, high dispersancy associated with some modern engine oils may increase viscosity with soot even more. High viscosity corresponds to cold-start problems and risk of oil starvation.

Soot and sludge in engines deposit or separate from the oil in the following areas, all presenting risks to engine reliability including rocker boxes, valve covers, oil pans and head deck.

Deposits on engine surfaces interfere with combustion efficiency and fuel/oil economy.

Soot polishes off protective antiwear soap films in boundary zones such as cam and cam-follower zones.

Carbon jacking from the buildup of soot and sludge behind piston rings in grooves can cause rapid wear of rings and cylinder walls. This can cause broken or severely damaged rings during cold-start conditions."

Machinery Lubrication (5/2007)

About the Author
Jim Fitch
Jim Fitch, a founder and president of Noria Corporation, has a wealth of experience in lubrication, oil analysis, and machinery failure investigations. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #410033 Sat Jan 18 2014 2:46pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

There are 2 secrets to keeping the engines of drill ships, semi submersible drilling rigs and dive support vessels in tip top condition:

1/ Clean, filtered diesel fuel.
2/ Clean, filtered engine oil.

Dirty oil and fuel kills diesel engines, and as for carbon being "good" for a diesel engine I have never heard such cods wallop!

Jim

Post #410048 Sat Jan 18 2014 5:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1