RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRS Daz

Tyre options

Hello all,

I'm after some help deciding which tyres to go for on my tdv8.

It's running 275 40 20's at the moment but what about going up to 275 45 20's to fill the wheel arch more?

I fully understand the benefits of buying the best tyres, as I have various motorbikes including a zx10r which runs slicks and a ktm 300 six day enduro bike that runs really soft compound for maximum grip but last a very short time. These are used in a competition environment so having the maximum grip is the most important factor.

The thing is the sport is a big 4x4 which is driven 90% of the time on the road (I also do enduro green laning so might take the sport out on a few lanes ) the sport is driven according to the weather conditions of the day, not driven like I've stolen it and sticks to the speed limits too Thumbs Up so I don't see the need for the softest compound tyre that will wear out quickly.

All tyre manufactors seem to have a lot higher standard than they used to have so even budget tyres have pretty good grip apart from in the really bad rain but so are my very worn conti's.

I know most will say they are that tyres are the most important part of your car but even on the best tyres if you are a s**t driver they won't stop you crashing.

So what's the options?

Done a little search and last year hankooks seem to be popular.

My good pal sells tyres so I'm getting a little discount off too.

He' got some real cheap sunitracs lol

How about some nexens? (Correct load rating but limited to 150mph)

Has anyone used Matadors which are made by Continental?

Then he said stuff like Pirelli's come after that price wise.

Ta

Post #405694 Wed Dec 11 2013 11:37am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I usually stick to what the vehicle originally came with unless for any reason they are Censored . Mine are Pirelli scorpion zero asimmetrico and i'm finding the wear rate and grip very good.

Post #405696 Wed Dec 11 2013 11:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
1JBS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Orkney Grey

Pirelli scorpion zero asimmetrico on mine for the past 3 years absolutely brilliant and really good off road Thumbs Up

Post #405698 Wed Dec 11 2013 11:50am
Corns-88

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Size wise I looked at going to 45 form the 40s but decided to stay standard on 40s. If you do change you need to check the spare tyre size. You may need a new one of them Shocked if the difference is to big 07 tdv8 stornoway grey at home tucked up
x type jag work and back hack
x5 Gone - never fully loved or cared for
Disco td5 gone - saved a fortune on ear plugs
Freelander gone - one of the first and worst
early disco gone- A tractor in a fur coat.

Post #405700 Wed Dec 11 2013 11:57am
RRS Daz

Ady 555 wrote:
I usually stick to what the vehicle originally came with unless for any reason they are Censored . Mine are Pirelli scorpion zero asimmetrico and i'm finding the wear rate and grip very good.

I don't you if you know but I bought awd mans tdv8 off him and he had fitted 2011 20" genuine LR s/c alloys with conti tyres so it's open to options now hence why I'm asking for ideas.

It's really a can of worms as some might run budgets and swear by them other will run expensive tyres and say they are the best.

I'm looking for a nice middle ground.

Post #405705 Wed Dec 11 2013 12:19pm
imb111

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I recommend the toyo proxes-t1-sport. Have had these on several cars and currently on the RRS Thumbs Up
Overfinch also fit these as standard on their wheels and cars.

Post #405709 Wed Dec 11 2013 12:57pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Hi Daz, no i wasn't aware that you bought awd's lemon.. Opps sorry sport Laughing I understand now your options are open, i can only recommend what ive used and are still using, infact ive got a spare set tucked away in my workshop for when mine wear out. Oh and ive still got my brand spanking new Overfinch Olympus alloys for summer. Very Happy

Post #405712 Wed Dec 11 2013 1:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I ditched the 20" conti summer tyres on my first RRS due to feathered edges after 10k miles and been very happy with the wear since on the all season pirelli scorpions Thumbs Up

I am on 19" winter tyres currently and loving the way they soak up the poor roads surfaces Cool

I am going to see how much money SWMBO leaves me after xmas and hope to fit Scorpion 255/50/19 on 15 spoke alloys for the summer but having just spent £1k on winter tyres and alloys with no frost or snow yet I may have some resistance Evil or Very Mad

Deviation from manufacturers recommended sizes while under warranty is a no for me and insurance implications Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #405716 Wed Dec 11 2013 1:54pm
RRS Daz

Summer pft you know wheels don't melt in the winter Thumbs Up

It's been a tough decision if to just buy some overfinch 22's then sell the 20's as rims only.

Post #405717 Wed Dec 11 2013 1:55pm
RRS Daz

Thanks for the input Thumbs Up

Post #405718 Wed Dec 11 2013 1:56pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

muddywheels wrote:
Deviation from manufacturers recommended sizes while under warranty is a no for me and insurance implications Confused

Muddy I don't want to give you a new headache but did you tell your insurer about changing wheel size? Everyone is OK with using winter tyres but some class changing wheel size as a "modification". The excuse is "if the standard version of the car didn't come with the same wheel size, you've modified it".

For some insurers, none of these facts/arguments seem to matter:
    Using OEM wheels that some variants of the same car actually do come with as standard
    Reducing damage risk to your car and others'
    Reducing financial risk due to cheaper wheels
    In my case last year, following manufacturer's handbook (applies to pre-2010 cars) that you should change to 18" or 19" wheels if using winter tyres

Evil or Very Mad

Post #405725 Wed Dec 11 2013 3:07pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Hi Fkarim - I checked here https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savin...nter-tyres and contacted insurer to make sure Bow down

Provided I fit genuine LR alloys of the correct size as per the handbook no problem - for this reason I avoided Disco alloys as they are a different width - I was told 19" or 20" accepted as they are in the book Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #405728 Wed Dec 11 2013 3:19pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I think the ABI guide only mentions tyres but good if you have specifically checked about changing wheel size with them and they are OK with it. I had to pay extra last year for making the roads safer Laughing

Sorry OP for going a bit off-topic there Embarassed

Post #405733 Wed Dec 11 2013 3:30pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Daz get these bought. Thumbs Up

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post405984.html#405984

Post #405985 Fri Dec 13 2013 10:40am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1