RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > The 'Value' of wheels and tyres.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey
The 'Value' of wheels and tyres.

From time to time I've seen members selling their wheel and tyres and then moaning and progressively reducing their price.

I'd make these observations from what I've seen while looking.

1. Clean the wheels - you'd think it obvious but I've seen loads that are so dirty you can't tell if its damage or dirt.

2. Anyone buying 20" rims or bigger is likely...
a) to be doing it for appearance reasons so any kerb marks or other damage will turn them off because they'll be adding the cost of a refurb.
or
b) anyone buying a set because their tyres are worn and want a cheaper solution than new tyres ain't going to spend much (if anything) more than the price of tyres.

3. Someone after 19" rims is probably looking for a spare set for winter tyres (otherwise they'd up-scale to 20" rims) so, the tyre tread depth isn't that important but price is then going to be the deciding factor!

Thus, IMHO given that its possible to buy a set of 4 nearly new 'take-offs' from dealers for about £1k a 2ndhand set of 20s are probably worth around £800+, with really good tyres and no damage; but obviously less with knackered tyres or rims.

A set of 19s will depend on whether the tyres are useable, but I reckon £450 - £600.

Discuss Thumbs Up

Post #404748 Tue Dec 03 2013 8:20pm
PEACHY

England 

Recently decided to swap my alloys to a design I'd liked for a while - I did look at 3 sets before purchasing the ones I ended up with. I agree with some of the points you've made - my old wheels in my opinion was priced well but sensible - hence sold within a day - some of the wheels I went & looked at was well over priced Laughing polished alloys with kerbing - these are not cheap to refurb hence almost worthless Laughing - Ebay has numerous sets of my eventual choice priced at £1500 some with slight marks Sad . A few members on here have purchased Overfinch with new tyres for a couple of hundred pound less - delivered Very Happy hence a bargain Thumbs Up . It seems there are a few people who are just not prepared to do the home work & a few dreamers who will never sell there old wheels & tyres. Wink 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #404750 Tue Dec 03 2013 8:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Agree with some of the points. Cleaning is common sense. I have got a set of 20s on sale which I couldn't prepare due to being busy. Decided to take the lazy option of advertising in that state hoping they would go and if they don't, clean them next weekend (time permitting) and update pictures.

Don't necessarily think refurbing to sell is a good idea. The buyer knows nothing about the quality of job done until after a few weeks/months. Could also wonder what other more serious damage has been repaired and hidden.

Price IMO depends on how quickly you want to get rid of something. I sold a really REALLY knackered set of 20s last year. Wheels were kerbed across the entire circumference on all four. Tyres had 3mm or less tread left on them, having done ~35k miles. I was having a new kitchen fitted and needed to make storage room in the garage. So priced them "competitively" and was able to shift them quickly. No such constraint this time round so happy to hold until they sell for a decent price.

Considering prices of dealers' nearly new take-offs is another valid point and something I should look into if I get more interest. No sane buyer would prefer buying from a random stranger over a proper dealer to save 25 quid Thumbs Up

Post #404759 Tue Dec 03 2013 9:34pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: The 'Value' of wheels and tyres.

drdelrrs wrote:

A set of 19s will depend on whether the tyres are useable, but I reckon £450 - £600.

Discuss Thumbs Up

I bought my 19s from a garage that was fitting 20s to a RRS they were selling. I bought them for £450. They were absolutely immaculate. I'm thinking of getting another set of 19s to put some offroad-biased tyres on. I'm not looking to spend more than £450 again on wheels that I know will get marked in use.

I've come to the conclusion that people over value wheels - presumably because they've paid a lot of money for new ones and are trying to recoup some of that outlay. Perhaps the answer is that the new wheels were themselves overpriced...

I sold the 20s I took off to a forum member for not that much money - certainly less than a lot of 20s that I've seen advertised hereabouts. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #404761 Tue Dec 03 2013 9:36pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
think a lot of the time it's about timing as well.

as Fkarim says if you want the room you may well sell them for less, than if their eating no bread sat in the corner.

good clean and photos help, but again if you just want shut

I only like buying locally so I can go and have a look first, you know just what your getting that way, may not be a problem for wheels but tyres very much so, there is a tyre on the bay advertised as new (hope this is no one on here Rolling Eyes ) which it is with the label still on... but it is also nearly six years old Shocked how has that been stored Question

I am looking for a set of 19" wheels to fit winter tyres to, will be nothing like £450 though as I have not even bought the car yet Rolling with laughter Censored and have two Pirelli ATR's in the garage Shocked may be I am doing this the wrong way around, but its back to timing again . Big Cry

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #404768 Tue Dec 03 2013 10:05pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Yes timing too. I bought my 19" winter wheels with Vredestein Wintracs having 7-8mm tread during summer last year at a very good price for the excellent condition they were in. Won't get that price this time of the year. I should probably save the 20s until Spring to get a decent price Laughing

Post #404774 Tue Dec 03 2013 10:22pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Been there - done that Whistle

Lots on Ebay for silly money but if you refine search to completed not many sell Rolling Eyes

If you refine to sold you can see how much the minority that sell go for - this is a good indication of worth Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #404781 Tue Dec 03 2013 11:35pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Some valid points there drdel. Whenever i advertise anything for sale, i present it in the best condition possible to attract a sale. I think i must have a fetish for wheels & tyres at the moment, Ive got, 4 x HSE alloys with polished face, (on my vehicle) 1 x HSE alloy with polished face to replace my kerbed wheel. 4 x brand new Overfinch Olympus alloys in gloss anthracite with toyo tyres. 4 x new pirelli scorpion tyres as spares, and a set of 20" Vredestein 4xtreme winter tyres. Smile

Post #404798 Wed Dec 04 2013 9:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

^^^^ Ady555 - Now you're just boasting Thumbs Up

I think its like most things - businesses make most money out of their most ignorant customers !!

On here most members know what their looking for whereas on Ebay etc you might get a less knowledgeable buyer and, because of the bidding process, they might pay over-the-odds. Of course you'd need to remember that Ebay will take their commission.

When I recently sold a set of 20" style 6 'new' take-offs with new Pirelli tyres I was quite prepared to be reasonable and they went to a member for a grand, which for new wheels and tyres is more than half JLRs price; he was happy Thumbs Up Could have got more via Ebay but there's something about belonging to a Forum of people and shared common interests - ot is that pain Thumbs Up

Post #404808 Wed Dec 04 2013 11:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1