RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Replacement windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tonyrec

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Replacement windscreen

Unfortunately our windscreen needs replacing after it was hit by a large stone from an oncoming car. I have read a number of posts about the replacement screen, and whether it should be genuine or not.

My question is, what else needs replacing ie the 'A' post covers and clips etc?

Our insurance company have stipulated that they only deal with Autoglass otherwise it will cost us a small fortune if we go elsewhere.

Post #403801 Tue Nov 26 2013 10:11pm
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

You can stipulate that Autograss use genuine LR screen and easily identified by the logos. Been through all of this with Axa 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #403825 Wed Nov 27 2013 7:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Tony, tell your insurance company that it has to be a genuine L/R screen to comply with your L/R warranty. (Even if you don't have a warranty Wink ) Only L/R approved parts must be fitted. Thumbs Up Auto windscreen have delt with genuine L/R screens before. I'm sure Ive read somewhere that you have to replace trims and clips too. Thumbs Up

Post #403832 Wed Nov 27 2013 8:43am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I had this issue with Direct Line who wanted to fit an Autoglass product. They would not meet the full cost and would only contribute to the cost of a LR screen.

Post #403837 Wed Nov 27 2013 9:35am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

I have it stipulated on my insurance policy that any glass that needs replacing must be L/R approved glass. They had to ring their underwriters to get confirmation of this and they agreed. I told them any glass replaced not meeting L/R approval, then this may effect any future warranty claims i may have due to leaking windows/damaged electrics etc and the repair bill will then be passed onto them. Hence they covered it for genuine L/R approved glass.

Post #403847 Wed Nov 27 2013 10:03am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The A-pillar covers and clips should also be replaced. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #403849 Wed Nov 27 2013 10:19am
Glassman

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Siberian Silver

OE (LR) branded glass is always a better option, however, given that Pilkington is the OEM for these cars, an aftermarket (Pilkington branded) glass will have the Land Rover emblem lasered off and painted over with a Pilkington logo. Have a read of this: http://www.glasstecpaul.com/windscreen-man...ally-mean/

Replacing the A-pillar covers is not necessary (unless there is damage, or that you just like them to look new for a while) but replacing the correct clips is a must. But there are far more pressing issues that the authenticity of the glass, TBH. Yes, I personally would insist on genuine parts, but genuine counts for nothing if it hasn't been fitted correctly. The most common problems arise from heavy handed and careless fitters scratching the paintwork (or damaging the headliner) or poor preparation of the contact surfaces (decontaminating the new windscreen is an absolute must) http://www.glasstecpaul.com/what-isnt-clea...ndscreens/

A lot of insurance companies are aware of the OEM versus aftermarket glass issue and whilst some insurers are open to the idea of OEM branded glass, many will dig their heels in and not budge (this is thanks to the Average Invoice Price deals agreed with their nominated supplier). For example, Admiral will not entertain it but, if the car is less than three years old, there is a clause which will allow genuine parts.

If anyone says there is no difference between OEM and copy glass, they're either lying or are passing on incorrect information. There are only a few, very rare exceptions.

Last edited by Glassman on Wed Nov 27 2013 6:20pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #403913 Wed Nov 27 2013 5:21pm
GrahamS

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Do they fit aftermarket heated windscreens too?

Post #403933 Wed Nov 27 2013 6:19pm
Glassman

Not sure who you mean by 'they'. Other than Pilkington and LR branded glass, there are a couple of 'third party' heated windscreens available via aftermarket suppliers; Nordglass (Poland) and Safevue/Solarshield AFAIK.

Post #403936 Wed Nov 27 2013 6:26pm
GrahamS

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Just wondering if insurance companies such as Admiral who won't fit OEM glass could still replace a heated screen.

Post #403938 Wed Nov 27 2013 6:33pm
Glassman

Yes. Heated makes no difference (unless the policy states it as an exclusion, which I doubt).

Admiral will railroad you to their nominated supplier, National Windscreens and the chances are you'll get a Nordglass version, or Pilkington aftermarket. If the car is +3 years old Admiral will not agree to an OEM version.

Post #403940 Wed Nov 27 2013 6:36pm
Tonyrec

Many thanks for the sound advice.
I phoned my dealer this morning and they said that the clips definitely need to be changed but not always the A post covers. It really depends on if they are damaged.

When I phoned Autoglass they said exactly the same and that they always order all of the parts in, just in case.

He then contacted our insurance company direct to discuss the figment of an original LR windscreen. They authorised it without a problem (to comply with warranty etc etc - cheers Ady Thumbs Up ) and the new screen is being delivered next week from LR and will be fitted during the week.

We bought the car from LR when it was a year old and it doesn't look like it has an original screen, it's got the Pilkington one with the black rectangle above it.

Well, I suppose if you don't ask, you don't get!

Post #403946 Wed Nov 27 2013 7:23pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Nice one Tony. Thumbs Up Just out of intrest, who is your insurance with?

Post #403997 Wed Nov 27 2013 11:06pm
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Result. Thumbs Up

Make sure after being fitted the rain sensor and front heating elements work perfectly. 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #403998 Wed Nov 27 2013 11:11pm
Tonyrec

Ady 555 wrote:
Nice one Tony. Thumbs Up Just out of intrest, who is your insurance with?

It's Esure (Sheila's Wheels) Thumbs Up

Post #404141 Thu Nov 28 2013 9:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>