RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Windscreen wipers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Anders-01

England 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Windscreen wipers

Hi , not been on for a while but has anybody got an idea what's going on with my wipers ; car not been used for a while but went out this morning and turned on wipers they moved very slowly and only about 3inches and stopped . Car started ok but could this be due to a low battery ? Wipers were ok last time I used them , car has stood for about 3 weeks with little use . Help please Big Cry I said I wouldnt buy another one !

Post #401908 Wed Nov 13 2013 12:21pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If the vehicle started ok then it's not likely to the battery. Most likely is that the motor's fried and/or something has seized in the mechanism that links the motor to the wiper arms. Check the relevant fuse to see if its blown. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #401912 Wed Nov 13 2013 2:59pm
Anders-01

Hi , thanks for reply , have checked all fuses etc . Just seems a bit strange that the last time I used car they were fine . The wipers do start to move but stop after about 3 inches have assisted them across the screen and back to there resting place . ( on a wet screen of course ). Big Cry I said I wouldnt buy another one !

Post #401925 Wed Nov 13 2013 5:08pm
Beancounter_74

England 

No ones messed with the bolts that connect them have they?

Else, like RRSTDV8, sounds like it could be the motors, ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #401927 Wed Nov 13 2013 5:22pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Well as the temperature outside was below zero in the London area last night could it be that the wiper blades were frozen to the screen?

If you switched on the wipers when the blades were frozen to the screen there is a risk of the motor having burned out (as has been suggested) OR the driving spindles turning without the wiper arms moving and that can result in stripping of the splines inside the arms because they are made of a relatively soft alloy.

Consequently you may only see a small amount of movement when the wipers are switched on. There won't be anything visible unless you take off the caps at the end of the wiper arms. If this is the problem its an easy fix as you'll just need new wiper arms. Can you hear the wiper motor running?

Recall seeing a post saying that if wipers are switched on when frozen it can break one of the linkages in the driving mechanism - but can I find it? Evil or Very Mad 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #401930 Wed Nov 13 2013 5:49pm
Anders-01

Thanks guys for replays , it was cold but didn't go out to car until the sun was up so not frozen to screen . Will take wiper arms off in the morning and see if the splines are moving freely ( good idea ) hope fully I will just need wiper arms and not a new motor , have any of you guys change a motor before ? Looks a pig to get to . Anyway will update tomorrow . Have a good evening . I said I wouldnt buy another one !

Post #401931 Wed Nov 13 2013 6:00pm
Paddi

Anders,

After looking at a few other posts it seems our wiper arms are unusual and instead of having splines, there is a tapered shaft and it relies on the pressure from the securing nut to hold the arm in place. You could maybe try tightening the nut. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #401933 Wed Nov 13 2013 6:05pm
Anders-01

Have just found another post marked wipers gone mad , that was about the securing nut on wiper arms loose so hopefully you are right and my nuts are loose ( excuse the pun) will check in morning , fingers crossed ... Thanks again I said I wouldnt buy another one !

Post #401936 Wed Nov 13 2013 6:22pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Surely it would be unusual for both wiper arms to become loose on their spindles at the same time and to the same extent ?

If both arms are moving slowly and not completing their arc it suggests a problem with the motor, supply voltage and/or linkage from the motor.

Post #401937 Wed Nov 13 2013 6:28pm
Anders-01

Anyone no how the plastic cover comes off across the bottom of windscreen to reveal the motor and rods ? I said I wouldnt buy another one !

Post #401940 Wed Nov 13 2013 6:42pm
Paddi

Funnily enough just looked this up as I'm changing my faded warped one as soon as the new one turns up Smile

Instructions:

EDIT: That image is hard to read so try the pdf in gallery;
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...hamber.pdf

You may be able to manage without taking off the A pillar external trims but if it is really necessary follow the guidance in this video:

Can just imagine all the clips on the A pillar trim snapping off; so maybe best avoided. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #401948 Wed Nov 13 2013 7:23pm
Anders-01

Cheers Paddi , will be ripping that off tomorrow to see what I can see Thumbs Up I said I wouldnt buy another one !

Post #401957 Wed Nov 13 2013 7:55pm
Anders-01

Back again , plastic cover at bottom of windscreen came off easily to reveal wiper motor and rods , removed wiper mechanism and took motor off the rods , motor works ok . On further inspection of the mechanism ( not motor ) the near side had completely seized . Because I had not used car for a few weeks even then maybe no need to use wipers it looks like rain water runs down n/s wiper shaft and on to the mechanism below causing the shaft to rust . So if like Paddy you remove the plastic cover to renew it make sure you grease any moving parts on the wiper mechanism while cover is off . Have orderd complete wiper assembly including motor ( could not find mechanism on its own ) used part sourced on ebay will be here tomorrow .
Thanks again for the help guys Thumbs Up I said I wouldnt buy another one !

Post #402102 Thu Nov 14 2013 6:21pm
Paddi

Thanks Anders; that was a top tip Thumbs Up

I gave the wiper linkages a good dose of white spray grease while I was in there. Each linkage has a rubber seal which has to be lifted up/peeled back a bit before spraying the grease in using a tube attached to the can nozzle.

The wiper arms are in fact fitted to the shafts with splines despite earlier comment to the contrary Rolling Eyes d'oh!

I used this tool to remove the arms and it did the job brilliantly:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neilsen-Battery-Te...al+remover

Highly recommended. Anyone doing this job - don't forget to mark the 'parked' position of the wiper arms on the screen with masking tape so you can put them back on in the right place.

Pleased to report my water leak now fixed and as a bonus have also eliminated the faded plenum chamber trim panel. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #402915 Wed Nov 20 2013 3:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1