RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Refurbishing air suspension compressor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

sellick

Refurbishing air suspension compressor

Hi everyone,

When I lower my air suspension to access mode, it automatically raises back up and says 'extended mode'(can't remember exact message) on the dash and raises back up. If you press down again it will override it and go down into access mode. Today the suspension light came on the dash. I've been researching this fault, and seems it could be a number of things (wiring/pipework/sensors or compressor), but the compressor is most likely.

I've read a few threads about the water trap on the compressor getting clogged (the silica balls disintegrating and blocking the filter), not allowing it to exhaust air quickly, making the ECU think there is an obstacle preventing it from lowering Question

Anyway, I know the best course of action would be to plug it in to a diagnostics machine, but the refurb kit is under £20, and with compressors being a weak point, I figured it would be worth doing anyway. Has anyone done this successfully? I want to attempt the job myself, but don't want to be without a car for a long time. I understand the top bolt (securing the compressor mount to the chassis) is difficult to access, but otherwise it's fairly straight forward?

Has anyone else had this fault and managed to resolve it this way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much

Post #390825 Sat Aug 03 2013 7:35pm
cossiedave

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography Zambezi Silver

hi does your car have lowering links on it as when mine had them on it had same symptons

Post #390829 Sat Aug 03 2013 9:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Shaun75750

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Mine is doing the same but my compressor
Went in may I put a amk compressor on
And all worked fine again but still won't
Go in to access mode with out rising
Up again so compressor didn't sort it

Post #390836 Sat Aug 03 2013 10:53pm
sellick

As far as I'm aware it doesn't have lowering links. It doesn't look particularly low. Shaun that's what I'm concerned about! Although when I lower mine it doesn't do the 'fart' of air, it's more of a hiss, so that's what's pointing me in the direction of the compressor. Thought I might as well refurbish it for the sake of £20 anyway.

I just know how simple jobs can be much more than expected when you have very basic tools and are working on the floor! Hoping everyone will tell me it's a very simple job with nothing that can go wrong or get stuck!

Post #390853 Sun Aug 04 2013 9:46am
RRS_PAT

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Have you seen this link from Disco_Mikey

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic84165.html?highlight=amk

Hope it helps Thumbs Up 2011 Autobiography Santorini Black

Post #390854 Sun Aug 04 2013 9:50am
SCdavies

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver

The refurb kit for £20 I think is a valve only kit. You can also get a replacement piston kit for £50.

Post #390859 Sun Aug 04 2013 10:19am
sellick

RRS_PAT thanks very much for that! It's the water trap (drier unit) I wanted to replace. I was referring to these threads:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic65683.html
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=118820

Today, I turned full lock coming out of the petrol station, the yellow light came back on, started to go down the road and got the red light and the dash said to not exceed 30mph. Got home, raised the suspension (the back raised first, then the front; is this normal?) to off road height. Put it back down to normal height and it tried to go into extended mode, pressed down again and it slowly went back to normal height, with 3 small 'fart' noises and a bit of juddering (albeit quite level).

Anyone got any ideas?! Is there anything easy I can check (connections etc.) before taking it to a dealer to diagnose the problem? Thanks for all the help so far

Post #390870 Sun Aug 04 2013 3:17pm
RRS_PAT

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Sorry if i pointed you at the wrong thing. Embarassed

I think it is normal front is slower (due to engine weight) to raise.

When I had my suspension amber come on the LR technician was able to get to the sensor and wiggle it to show it was faulty without taking anything off the car.

Sorry but I cant tell you any more info. Could be worth a search ? 2011 Autobiography Santorini Black

Post #390881 Sun Aug 04 2013 6:59pm
RossM

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Did you ever resolve this, I am having the same issues. 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE- Cairns Blue with 22" Stormers

Post #393732 Tue Sep 03 2013 10:41pm
flack

The problem is not doing the job its getting the compressor in bits, most of the time the parts you need to remove are rock solid and the threads usually strip out when you do manage to undo them.
I would advise getting it checked out on a diagnostic kit to see if they can pin point whats wrong, but 99 times out of a 100 its the pump..

Some peeps have got away with just changing the air dryer, but what ever you do if you remove the compressor get some of the mount anchor nuts that fit in the chassis as they will just disintegrate.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #393733 Tue Sep 03 2013 11:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RossM

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Thanks Flack, I've still not managed to get in touch with you to get plugged in for a diagnostic check, I'm either not in the country or my wife needs the car! 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE- Cairns Blue with 22" Stormers

Post #393780 Wed Sep 04 2013 6:53pm
sellick

My nuts did not disintegrate! However, they were replaced regardless. I fitted a second hand unit, which was fine for a few days then the light came back on. Replaced with a new unit, and functioning perfectly! Thanks for the help

Post #393981 Fri Sep 06 2013 2:56pm
highfellzippy

United Kingdom 

Check your sensors in the 4x4 menu

You may see one is all over the place. And goes red.

That's happened to me on 2 cars

May need a height sensor as it thinks it's sat on its bump stop on one corner

Post #405131 Fri Dec 06 2013 7:55pm
shadrack

United Kingdom 

My car has this and all the sensors onbtge 4x4 menu are red what does this mean? All is fine on mine just cant get accesd

Post #405146 Fri Dec 06 2013 10:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1