RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Why can't Land Rover get it right?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

mrfrog wrote:
IMO, dealers (and manufacturers) should be more focussed on fixing a problem and accepting responsibility for the increasing complexity, rather than asking the customer to pay for infinite workshop £120 hours of labour until the problem is finally found.

IMO if a garage does work which doesn't fix the issue then they should give the money back. Maybe they'd get their "technicians" (what a joke that term is) to actually sort things out rather than just throw the customer's money at the problem. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #373065 Mon Feb 11 2013 3:01pm
ARHRRS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Thanks again for the replies.

I will give Guy Salmon, Coventry a try then. I previously used Colliers in Erdington but they are a waste of time.

As mrfrog said "Diagnosis via a computer and clearing faults without finding and fixing the root cause of the problem is akin to doctoring x-rays to hide a fracture rather than putting a cast on, the problem will likely come back. " I totally agree as this is all that happened with my previous HST, which I got rid of as they couldn't find or fix a long standing problem.

I think as I have had it for 4 months and not yet taken it into a dealer to look at I think it would be hard to return.

I think what I need to do is get them to look at it now and then a soon as I get an error message again just keep taking it back to build a case for when they cannot fix it. The only problem with this approach is the aggro it causes for me to be without a car or put up with a naff loan car.

As I bought it from a dealer in Leeds the distance is a problem to use them, although I was very impressed with them as a dealership.

Andrew

Post #373144 Mon Feb 11 2013 10:19pm
BigCat8810

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Re: Why can't Land Rover get it right?

ARHRRS wrote:
I've had my SDV6 for 4 months now, from new, and the electrical faults/problems have started, some within the first few weeks. I know I should take in to the dealer but I know they will say they cannot find a fault.

I get Gearbox fault, Transmission Fault, Suspension Fault, Reduced Performance, the screen doe's not always come on and the wing mirrors do not always return back to normal position after reversing. Most of the error messages you can still drive with but the reduced power requires you to stop, switch off and lock the car for a couple of minutes then restart and it is fine again.

I changed my '08 HST because it was always going in for similar problems, along with others, only to be told "we couldn't find any problems but we have cleared all of the error messages"

4 years on and they still haven't got the Sport sorted.

We spend a lot of money on these vehicles and I expect better quality and reliability.

I really like Range Rover Sports but cannot put up with the problems and the hassle of returning the car all of the time, so may end up changing for something else, but what?

Are any modern cars better or is it something we need to get used to due to the amount of electrics in a car and the lack of a proper wiring loom?

I had the same multiple system warnings on my previous TDV8, which after numerous visits to the local dealer, were not resolved. Ended up changing the car with good level of support from the dealer. That vehicle had an engine failure before I bought it, two turbo fails and ongoing warnings and episodes of going into limp home mode. I thought it might have been down to the body being taken off multiple times to fix the engine, which always seemed a really bad design flaw to me. But ultimately I've no idea why that particular vehicle was so bad but it was nearly my last LR, although touch wood, the current one is slowly restoring my faith! --------------------------------------------------------
RRS TDV8 Black/Black (Gone)
RRS TDV8 Stornaway (Gone)
RR Vogue TDV8 (Gone)
RRS 4.4V8 (Gone)
Defender 110 300tdi (Stolen, much missed)
RR Vogue V8 P38 (Gone)
LR 90 TD (Gone)

Post #373166 Tue Feb 12 2013 10:16am
StevoD

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Bit worried now as I've just dropped my car off at Colliers Erdington to fix my tailgate, which has stopped working (even after a software update).

I'm due to collect it on Thursday morning, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE
Santorini Black with piano black wood and truffle leather
Hawke tips and all black grill
Privacy glass

Gone: too many to mention !!

Post #373177 Tue Feb 12 2013 12:05pm
mse

United Kingdom 

You can take the engine out without removing the body...some say its easier to do it with the body on Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #373236 Tue Feb 12 2013 6:33pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

^^^^ We should not need to be talking about the need to take an engine out of a modern car !!

The fact that simple tasks like exhaust manifold gaskets and turbo-charger replacement is a body-off caper is just plain daft.

The last time I had the engine out of a normal road-car was 30 years ago on my 1984 Range Rover which it was then 3 years old with 65,000 mile when the oil pump drive broke and the V8 seized.

Post #373239 Tue Feb 12 2013 6:45pm
mse

United Kingdom 

drdelrrs wrote:
^^^^ We should not need to be talking about the need to take an engine out of a modern car !!

The fact that simple tasks like exhaust manifold gaskets and turbo-charger replacement is a body-off caper is just plain daft.

The last time I had the engine out of a normal road-car was 30 years ago on my 1984 Range Rover which it was then 3 years old with 65,000 mile when the oil pump drive broke and the V8 seized.

I beg to differ...i know a few people with more expensive cars than ours with engines out.

Anyway there are three schools of thought when it comes to what you can/cant do in situ and then how you do it.

Land Rovers Way, Text book arse way and the practical way. Thumbs Up Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #373248 Tue Feb 12 2013 8:09pm
Cheney Jawa

You sound in a very similar predicament to me Sad

And indeed fairly close as i use Colliers Erdington.

I've had mine for 4 months from new and only a matter of weeks in i had a whole host of problems (of which still exist), the latest is a vibration at 80/85mph, which incidentally Colliers have told me they won't be able to investigate due to the speed it occurs at!!!

I've been in constant contact with LR who to be fair have been fairly helpful but certainly not helpful on the 'Reject' route.

The car is now booked back in at Colliers for the umpteen time, LR are now saying they will not replace with a like for like (which they did at the start) for routine warranty jobs.

I'm incredibly busy at work and don't have time for the car to be going back & forth whilst in the meantime i'm piling more & more miles on it.

The trouble is the novelty is really starting to wear off now, the RRS was the car of my dreams but is now fast becoming the car of my nightmares and i'm very fast approaching the point to which im wondering what the hell to do with the pile of Censored !! Owner of MY13 RRS Red Edition, Santorini Black, Ebony with Lunar, Privacy Glass & Exterior Design Pack

Post #373298 Wed Feb 13 2013 11:15am
Beancounter_74

England 

Sorry to hear you're still having woes Cheney Sad
I appreciate on a forum you generally only hear the bad stories, but id does seem like there are a few lemons coming out from the factory..... Shocked ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #373300 Wed Feb 13 2013 11:17am
Cheney Jawa

Thanks BC, it's more bloody disappointing than anything else!, it seems the more you try to emphasise to LR & the dealer the more they back away Sad Owner of MY13 RRS Red Edition, Santorini Black, Ebony with Lunar, Privacy Glass & Exterior Design Pack

Post #373305 Wed Feb 13 2013 11:24am
BigCat8810

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Cheney makes a good point, when you are busy it is a real pain in the aCensored to be tramping back and forth to dealers etc. When I was having issues last year with my previous vehicle, I wasted far too much time f Censored ing about.

I'd be even more livid if I had a new one which was causing such grief. As per the original post 'why can't they get it right'. It's not as if this is a brand new design, the RRS has been around since '05 so surely the current generation should have benefited from faults being ironed out etc.

300Tdi Defender was the most reliable LR product I ever owned, it was a '97 car with 120k on clock but never broke down! Just a shame it was so easy for some Censored Censored to steal it! --------------------------------------------------------
RRS TDV8 Black/Black (Gone)
RRS TDV8 Stornaway (Gone)
RR Vogue TDV8 (Gone)
RRS 4.4V8 (Gone)
Defender 110 300tdi (Stolen, much missed)
RR Vogue V8 P38 (Gone)
LR 90 TD (Gone)

Post #373309 Wed Feb 13 2013 11:30am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

The 'rule-of-thumb' for rejecting a duff car is about 6 months after that it becomes harder but not impossible.

You must show that you've given the Dealer/LR a fair opportunity to cure issues.

Post #373330 Wed Feb 13 2013 1:10pm
Cheney Jawa

drdelrrs wrote:
The 'rule-of-thumb' for rejecting a duff car is about 6 months after that it becomes harder but not impossible.

You must show that you've given the Dealer/LR a fair opportunity to cure issues.

Do they take mileage into account?, mines 4/5 months old & I've nearly done 15k

The only thing LR half heartedly attempted to do was to see if the dealer were prepared to change the vehicle for a like for like, of course the dealer weren't interested in the slightest!, LR don't appear to be taking responsibility & very much passing it off as an issue between me & the purchasing dealer! Big Cry Owner of MY13 RRS Red Edition, Santorini Black, Ebony with Lunar, Privacy Glass & Exterior Design Pack

Post #373337 Wed Feb 13 2013 2:07pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It is an issue between you and the dealer. You bought the vehicle from them, not LR. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #373348 Wed Feb 13 2013 3:02pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

I think thats where the problem lies, its for you to sort out with your dealer, (although it sounds like you are not dealing with your supplyng dealer here, just your local dealer) Hence why there isn't much help in your favour, but then its down to your dealer to sort it out with L/R and because L/R are bigger than any dealer and see it as L/R are doing dealers a favour by allowing them to sell there products, they seem to wash there hands with customers complaints and leave it for the dealers to take all the 5hit. Mr. Green

Post #373358 Wed Feb 13 2013 3:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>