RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Current fuel economy in the cold weather ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>

lakeland9

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White

Mpg on mine has actually improved in the cold weather from 28 to 31,despite seats,headlights etc.

I suspect that due to the ice on the roads my right foot has been a bit lighter than normal,which more than makes up any other differences. Rod

Post #366672 Sat Dec 15 2012 7:28am
FF1078

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

lakeland9 wrote:
Mpg on mine has actually improved in the cold weather from 28 to 31,despite seats,headlights etc.

I suspect that due to the ice on the roads my right foot has been a bit lighter than normal,which more than makes up any other differences.

It should increase during cold weather as the engine perform's better on colder, densor air,I cant believe everyone on here is sooooo daft to think it's something to do with the alternator taking more power,it's due to the car's sat running on the drive defrosting a couple of extra minutes every morning that brings the average down so much,not including the ones of us that have timed heating that is. 10 TDV8 Santorini

Post #366677 Sat Dec 15 2012 9:40am
SRE

Spain 

Average 27
With BAS remap 24
Air con off, +2mpg

The above using trip computer
Actual figures if measured by tank to tank re-fill
Average 24
With BAS map 21

And, she does smoke a fair but when you bury the right foot Thumbs Up

2008 2.7 In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #366678 Sat Dec 15 2012 9:59am
range17

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

My tdv8 returned 26.9 today on a run to lancaster uni ,440 mile round trip 80-90mph most of the time ,did i say 80-90 i mean 70 officer Wink zx12r
bmw gs1200 adventure
defender 90 off roader

Post #366730 Sat Dec 15 2012 8:35pm
KaminskaJacekstreic

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White

Last 1500 miles doing 80-100 mph-25 mpg on winter tyres much more economic
Then on my 22 Big fun of RRS-my one WHITE-RED with wide body kit plus RS alloys all from KAHN

Post #366737 Sat Dec 15 2012 10:10pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

FF1078 wrote:
lakeland9 wrote:

I suspect that due to the ice on the roads my right foot has been a bit lighter than normal,which more than makes up any other differences.

It should increase during cold weather as the engine perform's better on colder, densor air,I cant believe everyone on here is sooooo daft to thin Question Whistle k it's something to do with the alternator taking more power,it's due to the car's sat running on the drive defrosting a couple of extra minutes every morning that brings the average down so much,not including the ones of us that have timed heating that is.

Soooo daft hey Question Whistle
well work this one out then.... I do the same journey too and from work, my motor lives in a nice warm garage so i don't spend minutes every day de icing it and my mpg has dropped by 3mpg. The only two differences are, the wether has got colder and i'm using more electrics on my motor.
Experience tells me my motor is using more fuel to get upto temp because its colder. Wink And yes the engine has to work harder for it to be able to power all the additional electrics so the fuel consumption is affected.

Post #366740 Sat Dec 15 2012 10:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zaytar

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

Average 19 mpg mixed driving - Supercharged. 2007 RRS Supercharged

Post #366761 Sun Dec 16 2012 11:15am
sparky8181

England 

zaytar wrote:
Average 19 mpg mixed driving - Supercharged.

How is this possible when I only get 20-21 in a tdv6?

I'm really surprised by the range of results that our cars are giving, something doesn't add up if a SC can do nearly identical mpg as a tdv6.

How reliable is the trip computer for mpg? I'm going to calculate my next few tanks and see just how accurate it really is.

To be honest I would have expected mine to return a bit more than 20, is there anything I can do to improve this? (Serious answers only please) eg filters etc, all service is upto date but wondering if something may have been overlooked before I purchased the car.

Post #366762 Sun Dec 16 2012 11:30am
P7tey

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

My TDV6 is returning a bit more than yours but planning to blank off the EGR's, (kit ordered off eBay, £14), and clean to MAP sensor, (there's a recent thread about this). Hoping these will improve things but may look to go down the remap road, but I've heard so many different stories about results. If I do it'll be to improve the economy rather than for the power, it's never going to be a fast car!
Likewise I'd be keen to hear any other suggestions Thumbs Up

Post #366770 Sun Dec 16 2012 12:32pm
Rangster

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

TDV8 doing around 23/24 around town and 28ish on a run. I was getting probably 2 mpg more in the warmer/lighter months.
Interesting to note that when towing a caravan in warmer months I got 25/26 (mostly motorway) which I though rather respectable. It probably helps that I drive with a lighter right foot with the van attached! RRS TDV8 MY2010 Stornoway Grey
Full Exterior Autobiography Factory Upgrade
Piano Black Interior Trim inc Steering Wheel
Ivory Premium Perforated Leather
22" 5 spoke "Style 7" Diamond Turned Alloys
Towing Pack
Diesel Tuning Box
Privacy Glass
Side Steps

Best vehicle I've ever driven.

Current garage also includes;
Mercedes 320 CDI CLS
TVR Tuscan S

Post #367242 Thu Dec 20 2012 6:52pm
range17

Rangster wrote:
TDV8 doing around 23/24 around town and 28ish on a run. I was getting probably 2 mpg more in the warmer/lighter months.
Interesting to note that when towing a caravan in warmer months I got 25/26 (mostly motorway) which I though rather respectable. It probably helps that I drive with a lighter right foot with the van attached!

Towing with caravan figures sounds good ,as i have yet to tow with my car and is a main reason for getting it ,have you got a big van as ours is a twin wheel bailey which is quiet heavy when going on our main hols to wales Thumbs Up zx12r
bmw gs1200 adventure
defender 90 off roader

Post #367279 Fri Dec 21 2012 9:45am
Rangster

range17 wrote:
Rangster wrote:
Interesting to note that when towing a caravan in warmer months I got 25/26 (mostly motorway) which I though rather respectable. It probably helps that I drive with a lighter right foot with the van attached!

Towing with caravan figures sounds good ,as i have yet to tow with my car and is a main reason for getting it ,have you got a big van as ours is a twin wheel bailey which is quiet heavy when going on our main hols to wales Thumbs Up

The van is a heavy Knaus (not UK spec), albeit single axle and I don't know the van is on the back. One of the reasons I bought the RRS was for towing. RRS TDV8 MY2010 Stornoway Grey
Towing Pack
Diesel Tuning Box
Privacy Glass
Side Steps

Mercedes 320 CDI CLS
TVR Tuscan S

Post #367283 Fri Dec 21 2012 10:30am
range17

Rangster wrote:
range17 wrote:
Rangster wrote:

Towing with caravan figures sounds good ,as i have yet to tow with my car and is a main reason for getting it ,have you got a big van as ours is a twin wheel bailey which is quiet heavy when going on our main hols to wales Thumbs Up

The van is a heavy Knaus (not UK spec), albeit single axle and I don't know the van is on the back. One of the reasons I bought the RRS was for towing.

do you notice a differance with your tuning box ,and which one are you using ? zx12r
bmw gs1200 adventure
defender 90 off roader

Post #367287 Fri Dec 21 2012 11:11am
Rangster

range17 wrote:
Rangster wrote:
range17 wrote:
Rangster wrote:

The van is a heavy Knaus (not UK spec), albeit single axle and I don't know the van is on the back. One of the reasons I bought the RRS was for towing.

do you notice a differance with your tuning box ,and which one are you using ?

I'm using a CR Tech 1 Multi-Map diesel tuning box, see www.bluesparkautomotive.com

It makes the RRS more responsive on pick up, certainly from stop or slow speeds. Probably would make more different on a 2.7 model. I've always used the boxes on any diesel I've had as they do make a difference, so it was an automatic move to fit one to the RRS. Any increase in horses are always a bonus. RRS TDV8 MY2010 Stornoway Grey
Towing Pack
Diesel Tuning Box
Privacy Glass
Side Steps

Mercedes 320 CDI CLS
TVR Tuscan S

Post #367291 Fri Dec 21 2012 11:49am
SRE

Spain 

SNIPPED
To be honest I would have expected mine to return a bit more than 20, is there anything I can do to improve this? (Serious answers only please) eg filters etc, all service is upto date but wondering if something may have been overlooked before I purchased the car.[/quote]

If you have mud flaps, then bin them.
Try adding a some 2T (2 stroke) oil to your fuel.
Check tyre pressures
Find another garage to fill up at. In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #367309 Fri Dec 21 2012 1:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>