RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 integration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 integration

Well I've decided to have a go at integrating my Galxy Tab 7.7 into the Sport, and thought a few of you may be interested in the idea and ultimately the solution and how to...

Rather than writing pages here the link below should let you access the initial pdf document to view.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...0Build.pdf

Hope you find it interesting and I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions. I'll update this thread as things progress, but, don't expect this to happen quickly as the has to fit around a number of things including moving house, work, and keeping SWMBO happy when not working....

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #365257 Mon Dec 03 2012 1:52pm
Morpheus-RRS

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

looking forward to see the finished product Very Happy Dave.
MY12, SDV6, HSE Orkney Grey, Cream leather with contrast stitching, Side steps, Tow bar and electrics, privacy glass.

Post #365286 Mon Dec 03 2012 5:10pm
Poldarn

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Thats a really cool idea.

You must be pretty confident in your finishing abilities! I am sweating at the thought of it!

Post #365558 Wed Dec 05 2012 6:00pm
Guyzer73

Poldarn wrote:
Thats a really cool idea.

You must be pretty confident in your finishing abilities! I am sweating at the thought of it!

Poldarn if l was doing the finishing I wouldn't dream of doing this... I'm using my mate at the AM bodyshop to do the build,I'm only designing it Very Happy

Also a reason for using aluminium not fibre glass...

Cheers

Post #365591 Thu Dec 06 2012 7:12am
mrfixit

2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Just do a search on youtube for Ipad install,theres some really good videos on there.Soundman has just done an install of the ipad mini,they fibre glassed magnets into the mount,may be an idea to stop the sliding in method of mounting you was talking about.

Post #365594 Thu Dec 06 2012 8:17am
Guyzer73

mrfixit wrote:
Just do a search on youtube for Ipad install,theres some really good videos on there.Soundman has just done an install of the ipad mini,they fibre glassed magnets into the mount,may be an idea to stop the sliding in method of mounting you was talking about.

Cheers MrFixIt Thumbs Up I've been trawling the web and got some ideas from there, also registered on www.mp3car.com where there's loads of useful information.

Hopefully get a mockup done this weekend and will definitely look into the magnets it could be an very tidy solution thanks Thumbs Up

Cheers

Post #366101 Mon Dec 10 2012 6:47am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Some electronic circuits can be upset by strong magnetic fields - you might want to experiment with your location of the magnets before installing.

Post #366106 Mon Dec 10 2012 9:38am
Guyzer73

drdelrrs wrote:
Some electronic circuits can be upset by strong magnetic fields - you might want to experiment with your location of the magnets before installing.

Cheers Drdelrrs Thumbs Up I'll trial it before I go down that route. If it works it could be a very tidy solution...

Post #366748 Sun Dec 16 2012 10:03am
Guyzer73

Well I finally got a spare hour to myself over the weekend whilst SWMBO went curtain shopping for the new house and made a very basic mock-up of how the console would look out of cardboard.

This is the result:

Click image to enlarge

and

Click image to enlarge

The result is not great but allows me to see whether the idea is even feasible. I think the answer is yes, with a bit of work.

You can see in the pictures that the conbsole "sits" on the SatNav lower surround, whereas in the build it would be set into it, lowering it by 1.5 - 2cm. Also the front fascia where the Tab will be mounted is too large by at least 2cm in width and 1cm in height. So the over height would be reduced by up to 3cm.

All this and a more rounded profile to the rear of the console should give the desired result.

On the plus side the space available on the sides should be enough for the deconstructed dock connector that you can see in the pdf document, and if magnets work without interferring with the electronics it sould be a goer... Alternatively I might look at using a hinged docking system either with a small actuator or simple manual locking system....

Cheers

Post #367420 Sat Dec 22 2012 10:44am
gav3478

United Kingdom 

Looking really good might have to steal the kids Galaxy Tab as i think our 10.1 would be to big Laughing

Post #372334 Tue Feb 05 2013 2:48pm
Guyzer73

Ok so it's been a long time since I've done anything on this...

Not wanting to hijack ScottyPaul's iPad Mini install any further which is here for all you Apple fans...I'll continue on my old topic.

Basically, I've got the Samsung Tab 7.7 to boot from power off when it "sees" power through the script and permissions shown here. I’ve checked and if power is lost and reapplied whilst the tablet is on it doesn’t reboot. Smile To turn it off I’ll use the Tasker App to shut the tablet down when it senses that the power is disconnected this can be time delayed so it doesn’t power down on short stops of say less than 15 minutes. For this all to work I’ll be using an ignition feed so that will be the cigar lighter feed. Smile

I'm getting my IT guy to create a basic Gif for the new boot animation in lieu of the original Samsung animation to make it more OEM, however, this still needs to be completed and uploaded onto the tablet. I’ve try to get this to work but to no avail…

I’ll post a video of the above when it’s all sorted to show it working Smile

For the location I’ve followed ScottyPaul’s solution but will be removing the OEM SatNAv so that I can get some cooling behind the Tablet. The guy doing the install thinks this will be the best location with regards protection from direct sunlight and therefore heat buildup.

I’ll use a MOST pass through connector similar to the one below:

With regards the connections everything will be through the deconstructed dock connector shown below:

Power will be dealt with as per Paul’s recommendation in the upper glove box.
Sound will be wired as per MrFrog’s instructions here from the 3.5mm jack of the dock connector.

For the micro SD card I will use the extender (available on Amazon) below:

If the cable reaches I’ll install the micro SD card reader in the upper glove box by the power connection, if not a location for that will needed to be determined, probably somewhere on the SatNav surround above the Passenger airbag light on the curved section.

That does it for the build, which is planned for mid-September, so I’ll update then when it’s done. This really wraps up the physical build issues, now it’s done to the operation and software/ apps.

As I mentioned I’ll be using the Tasker App for some functions like Power off.

For the rest I’ve used various Android Apps to provide functionality here’s a partial list:

Media Player is PlayerPro
Internet Radio is TuneIn
Phone and Contact are DW Dialer and Contacts
Navigation is Sygic
Current Song is Plug in Music
Go Home Button is Sygic On/Off

To create a harmonious GUI (Graphic User Interface) I’ve used Desktop Visualiser.

The result you can see below:

Click image to enlarge

The result if I do say so myself is very OEM Very Happy .

This was all done using Paint and PowerPoint on a PC and then transferring the images to the Tablet and using Desktop Visualiser.

Still need to get some functionality sorted to really make it look OEM but that should be done over the weekend.

Once it’s finished I’ll try posting a video so you can see that it really does work.

Also, I've asked the guys at GAP Diagnostics what functionality their IID Tool Android App will have, as this would integrate nicely into the system especially if it has a 4x4 info screen Cool

All this needs to be done and any glitches ironed out before the install, because afterwards it will be difficult to change. Oh need to get the screen fixed also before it’s installed.

Lastly big thanks to ScottyPaul for providing the details on how to install the Tablet in place of the OEM SatNAv screen Very Happy

UPDATE 1: Here's a link to a video of the Tab booting up and navigating through the menu.

As you can see there's a problem with the boot animation which isn't resolved yet and the delay for the icons to be come visible on boot. The first will be resolved as mentioned above. The second needs some investigation and work... Finally, I'm using a Power Off App in lieu of Tasker to power off as it's easier, though not as elegant....

UPDATE 2: I'll be using a Galaxy Note 8.0 in lieu of the Tab 7.7 because the 8.0 uses a v4.0 BT system which is what I need to be able to use the GAP IIDTool with Bluetooth. Having exchanged emails I can't wait for the official Android App to be launched its going to have great functionality including something like a 4x4 Info display at some point in the future Smile

Cheers

Post #393144 Thu Aug 29 2013 1:55pm
Guyzer73

Ok so over the last couple of days I've installed the Tab 7.7 to check everything works. I couldn't use the Note 8.0 as it doesn't fit between the AC vents so no BT v4.0 for the moment...

Otherwise things seem to work ok.

Things to solve in the permanent build are:

1. Loss of sound using 3.5mm jack from dock station. I think this is to do with the dock connectors current position and will be resolved once permanently and securely mounted.
2. Auto BT connect for the RRS - Again due to the issue above urrently streaming audio to the Aux in via the Unisonic BT receiver. I think this is preventing the OEM BT to auto connect smoothely. Once the hardwire issue is resolved then this should fix itself by removing the Autsonic BT profile form the Tab.
3. Remove OEM SatNav and use pass through MOST connector. Ordered from Fubatec in Germany should be here in 3-5 days.
4. Permanent install using Tab 7.7 cover mounted to brackets with dock connector mounted to back to hold Tab 7.7 - will be done by the garage when in for service in a couple of weeks.
5. Power connection to be finalise with 2 USB (1x1A, 1x2A) in upper glove box. Same as 4 above.
6. DPDT switch for audio as per MrF Frogs solution, except one will be to BT A2DP receiver. Same as 4 above.
7. Trim SatNav surround to suit final position. Same as 4 above.

Here's a link to a YouTube video of it installed, sorry about the poor quality recorded it using the Note 8.0 set on the rear centre headrest...

And here a couple of pictures of the installed product:

As you can see the fit is quite good, and once the surround is cut and in place it should look very OEM.

One other obvious thing to fix is that the screen for the Tab needs to be replaced as it's somewhat Censored ...

Anyway have a good weekend ALL, let me know what you think!!

And again a big Thumbs Up to Mr Frog an ScottyPaul for providing the info for the build.

Cheers

Post #394107 Sat Sep 07 2013 8:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1