RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Should I buy RANGE ROVER SPORT 2010 or BMW X5 2010?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

moparmuff

England 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Java Black

Having gone from BMW to RR Sport I would not go back, it looks and feels special goes like a train and oozes class. Get a decent V8 with a warranty and you won't regret it (BMW is boring and run of the mill) you simply would not go hunting in an X5. Wait till the the end of August as dealers will have p/x to off load traded for new reg.

Post #350947 Tue Jul 17 2012 6:57pm
Bear100

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Nara Bronze

My 2010 tdv8 22k miles immaculate condition sport warranty till January is for sale Whistle Would be asking a tad more than £33k Pm me if interested Thumbs Up Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8 MY2010
Discovery 3 HSE 2007
Discovery 2 TD5 (gone)
Discovery 300 tdi
Range Rover Bobtail (gone)
90 hybrid (gone)

Post #350969 Tue Jul 17 2012 9:39pm
iconix

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I am looking at spending at most 33k (2010 plate) and I want a diesel again.

A wild card, but have you looked at the Discovery D4?

Post #350972 Tue Jul 17 2012 9:48pm
B.Safe

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Thank you RRSTDV8

RRSTDV8 wrote:
If you just want a 4x4 because you want the benefits of raised driving position etc. then the X5 would be fine. It would probably be more reliable and cheaper to run too. They're not known for being any good off tarmac though.

If you want a 4x4 that will go anywhere you want it to go then the RRS would be the one to go for. Actually, the Discovery would be the one to go for in that regard but you asked about the Sport. The Sport is extremely capable off road - anyone who tells you they're rubbish in the mud or snow doesn't know what they're talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endsc...A&NR=1

Most Sports just get big wheels and polish thrown at them, however, so half a tonne of off-road capability is being hauled around for no real benefit. If that's your thing then be aware that big wheels have been implicated in enhanced suspension component wear although not everyone suffers so it might just be a possible contributing factor along with driving style and road conditions.

I have a 57 plate TDV8 and I'm getting little more than 20mpg just doing my regular local roads driving. On a reasonable run that wll go up to mid-20s. Seen 28mpg on a long slow motorway run once. So you can see that the fuel costs can be quite scary.

Reliability can be a real issue with them too. I've had a new alternator and anti-roll bar bush so far this year and on Thursday it's going in for a new rear dynamic anti roll bar and starter motor. So, you need to get a warranty when you buy a Sport - so far, the warranty has covered about £2k worth of work. This year.

If you want a capable, fast on-road 4x4 have a look at the Cayenne. Fuel costs will be much the same as the RRS but it will show a clean pair of heels to the Sport/X5. And it's actually capable of getting its tyres muddy too in a way that the X5 wouldn't dream of. The VW version (the Touareg) is quite capable off road too, apparently, and can be had for quite small money.

If you're set on the Sport, then I would suggest going for the best post-2010 TDV6 you can get. The 3-litre engine is very good and whilst it might not have the noise of the TDV8, it's noticeably better on the fuel and the performance is close enough not to be an issue. The facelifted interior is also very nice. Whether you can get the right one for you for less than £33k will be interesting.
 /|\

Post #350993 Wed Jul 18 2012 7:33am
redrob

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Have you considered the Porsche or the Audi Q ugly? the more you sweat in practice
the less you bleed in battle

Post #351514 Sun Jul 22 2012 11:39pm
pjb

RRSTDV8 wrote:
If you just want a 4x4 because you want the benefits of raised driving position etc. then the X5 would be fine. It would probably be more reliable and cheaper to run too. They're not known for being any good off tarmac though.

If you want a 4x4 that will go anywhere you want it to go then the RRS would be the one to go for. Actually, the Discovery would be the one to go for in that regard but you asked about the Sport. The Sport is extremely capable off road - anyone who tells you they're rubbish in the mud or snow doesn't know what they're talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endsc...A&NR=1

Most Sports just get big wheels and polish thrown at them, however, so half a tonne of off-road capability is being hauled around for no real benefit. If that's your thing then be aware that big wheels have been implicated in enhanced suspension component wear although not everyone suffers so it might just be a possible contributing factor along with driving style and road conditions.

I have a 57 plate TDV8 and I'm getting little more than 20mpg just doing my regular local roads driving. On a reasonable run that wll go up to mid-20s. Seen 28mpg on a long slow motorway run once. So you can see that the fuel costs can be quite scary.

Reliability can be a real issue with them too. I've had a new alternator and anti-roll bar bush so far this year and on Thursday it's going in for a new rear dynamic anti roll bar and starter motor. So, you need to get a warranty when you buy a Sport - so far, the warranty has covered about £2k worth of work. This year.

If you want a capable, fast on-road 4x4 have a look at the Cayenne. Fuel costs will be much the same as the RRS but it will show a clean pair of heels to the Sport/X5. And it's actually capable of getting its tyres muddy too in a way that the X5 wouldn't dream of. The VW version (the Touareg) is quite capable off road too, apparently, and can be had for quite small money.

If you're set on the Sport, then I would suggest going for the best post-2010 TDV6 you can get. The 3-litre engine is very good and whilst it might not have the noise of the TDV8, it's noticeably better on the fuel and the performance is close enough not to be an issue. The facelifted interior is also very nice. Whether you can get the right one for you for less than £33k will be interesting.

I have a TDV8 average mpg of 25 on mixed driving.

Only get to average of 20 if use the loud pedal

I had a Touareg bought new very very competent car especially off road but very boring interior bit like the BMW

Had a Q5 as a company car - again very boring opted out of CC scheme & got the RRS Very Happy Thumbs Up

I've had two sports & a FFRR would never go back to bmw as they have no soul.

The Range Rover brand has its issues, they have not had the best build quality but they IMHO are still the best 4x4xfar Paul

L405 Loire Blue
Swift Conqueror 645
Abarth 500c

Post #351552 Mon Jul 23 2012 9:26am
B.Safe

Thank you everyone, thank you very much.

So much good advice.

What about a Vogue? Is it better than a RRS?

-- /|\

Post #351612 Mon Jul 23 2012 9:09pm
BKHK

Australia 

I agree with most of what people have said. I have had 2 RRS and (and a Benz sedan until recently) I just bought a new X5D.

I don't live in the country and I never go offload so for me the X5 is a better road car because it is lighter and handles very well for an SUV. I like the firm suspension and the responsive handling. Nearly all of my driving is suburban with a bit of freeway now. The 2012 X5 has an 8 speed tranny and goes very well. It is also very economical on a trip, although economy is not a deciding factor in my purchases.

I managed to get a 5 year warranty and 4 years free servicing with guaranteed loan BMW. None of that was available with a new RRS here in Perth. The X5 also has a head up display which I really like. My wife always thought the RRS was big, she doesn't think that about the X5.

I think the RRS (unmodded) does have a classy feel but it's off road ability over the X5 would be a waste for what I do and where I go. It is a hard choice and I think it depends on what you want to do with your car. Would I have another RRS, yes, I like them a lot, but I will stick with BMW now.

Post #351805 Wed Jul 25 2012 2:45pm
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

I had a 3.0 TDV6 HSE, then a 2010 TDV8 HSE before switching to a 2011 X5 3.0D and I would say the TDV8 is by far the best car. Although the X5 may have better on road handling I much prefer the air suspension side of the RRS.

Benefits of the X5:
Better fuel consumption but it still struggled to do 30mpg where the TDV8 would do 24mpg.
Much better Sat Nav and Media system if you have the Pro Media
8 Speed gearbox in the latest models is excellent
Reliability was much higher, I never had an issue with it

Benefits of the 2010 RRS
Nicer sound in the TDV8 but similar performance between the two
Higher level of standard equipment (you'd have to find a well spec'd X5 to be comparable)
Feel good factor is huge every time you drive it
Air suspension is great, both the ride and the ability to raise/lower it

Despite what some people say the TDV8 is well worth getting over the TDV6. Mid range performance is very different, it sounds and feels more refined and all came better equipped. Downside is 4-5mpg less. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #351876 Thu Jul 26 2012 9:15am
pjb

What more can you ask

Richard has had both & despite driving a BMW still comes on the RRS forum & answers your question Thumbs Up Paul

L405 Loire Blue
Swift Conqueror 645
Abarth 500c

Post #351899 Thu Jul 26 2012 1:11pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Just a quick point you cant compare some of the BMW (= rubbish BTW) 2012 features to the 2010 sport either 2012 - 2012 or 2010 - 2010 Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #351902 Thu Jul 26 2012 1:17pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

B.Safe wrote:
Thank you everyone, thank you very much.

So much good advice.

What about a Vogue? Is it better than a RRS?

--

I think so Thumbs Up

Cost more but engine is the dogs wotsits Bow down

Better ride but a bit soft for high speed cornering Embarassed

Better quality finish inside and huge Cool Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #351903 Thu Jul 26 2012 1:19pm
mse

United Kingdom 

On the other hand - the FFRR isnt as nice inside (not from a quality point of view), will date massively when the new version comes out, is an old revised design with some cool features but still old made new.

Engine is OK, but i wouldnt loose sleep between a sport and a FFRR - i have often had one to myself - although the last one was at LRE and I cant say i lost any sleep (or even cared about) the different engine. I recall its about a second quicker to 60 though and about 2 -3 mpg worse on fuel with a top speed 6-7 mph faster

If your getting into the 5.0SC then we are talking Thumbs Up

Ride is softer, but more open inside the sport is designed to be more car like inside Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #351906 Thu Jul 26 2012 2:19pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Fromt: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search...AR-review/
The car industry’s rush to slash C02 never seems to impact on performance, and the new TDV8 Range is no exception. Power rises from 268bhp to 309bhp, torque from 472lb ft to 516lb ft, which drops the 0-60mph by more than a second and adds 6mph to the top end. Meanwhile, C02 falls from 294g/km to 253g/km (shaving £200 off your first year’s tax, a tenner a year thereafter), while mpg rises from 25mpg to 30mpg. No doubt the tall eighth-speed helps with all that.

A decent improvement of 5mpg is not to be sniffed at... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #351911 Thu Jul 26 2012 3:12pm
B.Safe

Thumbs Up

RichardM wrote:
I had a 3.0 TDV6 HSE, then a 2010 TDV8 HSE before switching to a 2011 X5 3.0D and I would say the TDV8 is by far the best car. Although the X5 may have better on road handling I much prefer the air suspension side of the RRS.

Benefits of the X5:
Better fuel consumption but it still struggled to do 30mpg where the TDV8 would do 24mpg.
Much better Sat Nav and Media system if you have the Pro Media
8 Speed gearbox in the latest models is excellent
Reliability was much higher, I never had an issue with it

Benefits of the 2010 RRS
Nicer sound in the TDV8 but similar performance between the two
Higher level of standard equipment (you'd have to find a well spec'd X5 to be comparable)
Feel good factor is huge every time you drive it
Air suspension is great, both the ride and the ability to raise/lower it

Despite what some people say the TDV8 is well worth getting over the TDV6. Mid range performance is very different, it sounds and feels more refined and all came better equipped. Downside is 4-5mpg less.
 /|\

Post #353623 Mon Aug 13 2012 3:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>