RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > RR Sport issues to fix - any advice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Mike_C

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange
RR Sport issues to fix - any advice?

OK, I'm making a list of things I need to sort on my RR Sport and I am sure most of them are related to it being a G4 vehicle or G4 kit being fitted. Anyway, here goes:

- Bonnet catch - the safety catch is bent flat, so when you 'pop' the bonnet from inside you don't need to release the secondary safety catch to open it, the bonnet just lifts up. Is this some weird G4 thing they did, or has it just been bent at some point? Either way I will likely need to replace it I guess?

- Front parking sensors - don't work as the centre two are missing due to the winch. Anyone got a step by step guide to get these working again, including fitting two new centre sensors somewhere?

- Rear parking sensors - worked perfectly until the rear ladder was fitted, now they beep continuously as soon as you get it into reverse. Could the ladder have affected it, as it does not protrude past the rear bumper? Rather confused by that one!

- ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control doesn't work, I am told because the radar sensor is missing. Any idea what I need and how to get this working again?

- Aircon doesn't work, hopefully just needs regassing but is there any way to tell for sure?

Think that's everything - thanks in advance for any help/advice! - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)
- BMW 330Ci M-Sport coupe
- Suzuki GSX-R750 K6 'Stealth' - trackdays and high speed tourer

Post #345464 Thu May 31 2012 5:40pm
MikeS

Australia 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Bonnet catch - Not a G4 thing, must be bent or something else

Front sensors - drill a hole either side of the winch fairlead for 2 new sensors, install them & the wiring loom, connect to the existing loom and have it all switched on. Then curse yourself for spending so much trying to fix something that probably wont work properly anyway.

Rear sensors - rotate the sensors in the bumper so they don't pick up the ladder. If it's not that then there's another fault. Haven't had that as an issue with mine, they just don't like having a pressure washer pointed at them.

Buy a 2ndhand ACC sensor and fit it. Think I posted a photo of what it looks like and where it's located. If it works then you'll soon tire of it braking heavily and generally being a pain in the backside.

Aircon - No idea. You have switched it on ? Not being smart or anything but unless the auto button's pressed and the lights come on, it's not on. If it's blowing then it probably wants regassing. Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #345500 Fri Jun 01 2012 9:36am
Mike_C

Thanks MikeS, as ever!

Bonnet catch - will see if I can bend that back, then!

Front sensors - aren't essential so probably won't bother! Did u get yours working?

Rear sensors - I did have it washed by the Polish car wash round the corner but they had already stopped working before then after the ladder was fitted! Do u turn them from inside the bumper? Should they all be horizontal/vertical, for instance?

ACC - is this a generic part fitted to other models to? A pic of the actual sensor would be great!

Air con - sure I'm using it right but will double check! How much should a regards cost?

Cheers! - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #345553 Fri Jun 01 2012 2:56pm
MikeS

Australia 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Never bothered with my front sensors after the LR dealer tried to switch them on. They worked, but went mental so we switched them back off. If you really want to try it then drop Alan Edwards a message on the G4 forum, he works for JLR at Gaydon and was the one who told me how to get them all activated. I believe he managed it on the D3 he bought out of LR after the event.

The rear ones are a mystery, but to turn them you need to get up underneath the bumper and develop double joints to spin them in the mountings. They sit inside a circular metal clip, sounds like they just need rotating to look down rather than up. Mine go berserk when they're wet, so just make sure they're dry.

The ACC box is a 6"x3" aluminium box behind the ACC plate on the bumper, it's bolted to the front cross beam and you'll need to remove the front bumper to change it. It's a generic unit and usually to be found on fleabay. I'd see if the 'normal' cruise control can be activated before screwing around with the adaptive version, I'm pretty certain in can be but you need an indy with all the software. I know my old indy (Stu Armson) can do it, but it's a complete reflash of the ecu, selecting all the options the car's fitted with as you go through the setup so takes a while to do. I'm not sure if someone with a faultmate could switch it on, be worth dropping Bodsy a message as I think he's got one. Normal cruise is much better than the ACC our cars are fitted with, it's very rudimentary and over sensitive compared to the new version.

Regas cost me Ģ35, but I've seen it for a lot more. Don't take it to the likes of Kwik Fit, take it to a proper a/c place and get them to make sure it's actually working before having it regassed.

This is mine with the front bumper off, the ACC unit is the silver box to the right of the winch gearbox / cradle. To change the unit you need to take all this lot off to get to it....

Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #345602 Sat Jun 02 2012 9:55am
Mike_C

Thanks Mike! So are you saying that the cruise control can be activated without the 'active' function? As that would do me fine!

Weirdly, the parking sensors worked fine this morning. Then stopped again, then started working again. Bit odd!

Also, my fuel filler does not 'pop' open, it has to be carefully flicked open with the key. I've taken a picture of both sides of the catch, can anyone tell which bit is broken as I do not have one to compare it to! I think it is the 'car' rather than 'flap' side, but hard to tell - a pic of a working fuel filler flap catch would be greatly appreciated!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Cheers,

Mike :)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #345729 Sun Jun 03 2012 6:06pm
Gibbsy1966

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Hi Mike

Very simple but got me....are both temp controls turned completely to the left before you press auto? BMW 530D 2011 still here
Porsche Boxster S gone - RRS Supercharged bought to transport 2 Tibetan Terriers!!

Post #345732 Sun Jun 03 2012 6:14pm
Mike_C

Gibbsy1966 wrote:
Hi Mike

Very simple but got me....are both temp controls turned completely to the left before you press auto?

Err, not sure - you saying both temp controls have to be turned fully anti-clockwise for the aircon to work? If so, how do you set the temperature?! - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #345736 Sun Jun 03 2012 6:44pm
Maxarn58

Sweden 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

About the fuel flap.
You are missing two parts on the flap, a "squarish" little mug thingie, and a rubber sort of flexy hose.

The mug should, when in place press the "lockin devisīce" inwards, (the springloaded thing in the rear of the filler hole)

Itīs a common fault, if you walk to close to the open flap, and your clothes snag on the flap, they will come loose.

(both on my RRS and brothers D3)

Parts are cheap, about 5-6 pounds, if memory serves..

Regards

Ulf As a rule, I always resist temptations,
unless they are irresistible.
My Ride: 2006 RRS HSE TVD6 Java Black/Cherry Woods with HST factoryfitted pack.

Post #345775 Sun Jun 03 2012 11:54pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Mike_C wrote:
Gibbsy1966 wrote:
Hi Mike

Very simple but got me....are both temp controls turned completely to the left before you press auto?

Err, not sure - you saying both temp controls have to be turned fully anti-clockwise for the aircon to work? If so, how do you set the temperature?!

If you want maximum cold, then yes. I found this the other day too - selected full cold on my side but the air was cool rather than cold. Noticed the passenger side was set just above full cold. Set that side to full cold and the air temp dropped by several degrees almost immediately.

The split zone feature can only handle a 4degC difference between zones (I think that's the figure) so it's not surprising that it can't do full cold on one side and warm on the other. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #345809 Mon Jun 04 2012 9:37am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

RRSTDV8 wrote:
If you want maximum cold, then yes. I found this the other day too - selected full cold on my side but the air was cool rather than cold. Noticed the passenger side was set just above full cold. Set that side to full cold and the air temp dropped by several degrees almost immediately.

The split zone feature can only handle a 4degC difference between zones (I think that's the figure) so it's not surprising that it can't do full cold on one side and warm on the other.

Yes on both counts. Thumbs Up

The temperature control of one zone can be compromised by the other zone being set to maximum heating or maximum cooling. True maximum heating or maximum cooling can only be obtained with both controls set to the same maximum state.

The system will not achieve a temperature differential from left to right of more than 4°C (7°F).

Wink Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #345828 Mon Jun 04 2012 12:40pm
Mike_C

Thanks guys, will try air con on full cold next time there's a warm day!!

Ulf - thanks for the fuel filler cap any info! Any chance of a pic of the missing bits? - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #345932 Tue Jun 05 2012 7:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1