RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Newbie checking in! And looking for an RR Sport...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Mike_C

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange
Newbie checking in! And looking for an RR Sport...

Hi all, just signed up so wanted to say "Hola!" My name is Mike, and I'm an alcoho....no hang on, wrong forum.

I currently own a BMW 330Ci, a '94 Range Rover Classic V8 (soft dash model with EAS) and a Suzuki GSX-R750. I need to downsize the fleet, so planning on selling the BM and RR and getting a 2.7 TDV6 RR Sport.

I am also off to Morocco this year for an Overland expedition, so would be taking the RR Classic but will now be taking the RR Sport instead. So, a few questions:

- Can anyone point me in the direction of a good buyers guide?
- What sort of money can I expect to pay for a VERY decent/tidy 60k-70k mile 2.7 TDV6 RR Sport?
- Given my intended use in Morocco, plus snowboarding in the Alps each winter, the G4 Challenge vehicles really appeal - extra underbody protection and a roof rack come in handy. What else did these have over and above a normal RR Sport?
- Has anyone mounted a roof tent to their RRS before? I have a Maggiolina Safari roof tent which will need to be fitted for Morocco.
- I will also use it for towing a trailer to trackdays with 3/4 motorbikes on the back, will the TDV6 be OK with this? Sure it will!
- Lastly...anyone got a nice one for sale?

Cheers! Smile

Post #337069 Mon Mar 19 2012 8:09pm
ELD70

United Kingdom 

Just a thought but wouldn't a Discovery 3 be better for the things you mention?

Post #337071 Mon Mar 19 2012 8:15pm
Misery

United Kingdom 

Welcome Mike. I hope you get all the answers you want, but I would like to know more about the RRC you have??

Post #337072 Mon Mar 19 2012 8:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mike_C

ELD70 wrote:

Yes but I want something sportier - it's got to replace both the BMW and the RRC, the RR Sport fits the bill perfectly! I don't need 7 seats or the extra boot space to be honest.

Misery wrote:
Welcome Mike. I hope you get all the answers you want, but I would like to know more about the RRC you have??

No problem, what would you like to know? Smile

Post #337073 Mon Mar 19 2012 8:23pm
Misery

United Kingdom 

colour, spec and is it for sale?

Post #337077 Mon Mar 19 2012 8:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Vasquez

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

Mike i learnt everything i needed to know about RRS from this site alone and it armed me well when buying mine, had my grey supercharged nearly a week now and despite a rapidly descending fuel gauge i'm loving every second. I also had a BMW 330i before and despite it being an excellent car and super reliable i am not actually missing it at all. Hope you get a good one! If it doesnt scare you it isnt heavy enough

Post #337078 Mon Mar 19 2012 8:40pm
Mike_C

Misery wrote:
colour, spec and is it for sale?

Yes it is for sale, as of today! Haven't actually advertised it yet.

It's Ardennes Green with Beige leather, 1994 V8 Vogue SE with LPG conversion and air suspension. Chassis is 100% solid, interior is very good and bodywork is pretty good too, although I am getting the tailgate resprayed before it's sold as it was replaced by the previous owner and the colour match isn't great.

Since I've had it I have basically prepared it for the Morocco trip, so all fluids changed (inc diff and transfer box), all four air springs replaced, swivel pins replaced on both sides (last week, £530!), four new tyres, new brakes, new rear shock absorbers, etc etc. Here's a couple of pics:

Click image to enlarge

With roof tent fitted:
Click image to enlarge

Let me know if you're interested.

In the meantime, anyone got a TDV6 RR Sport for sale? :D

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #337079 Mon Mar 19 2012 8:45pm
Mike_C

Vasquez wrote:
Mike i learnt everything i needed to know about RRS from this site alone and it armed me well when buying mine, had my grey supercharged nearly a week now and despite a rapidly descending fuel gauge i'm loving every second. I also had a BMW 330i before and despite it being an excellent car and super reliable i am not actually missing it at all. Hope you get a good one!

Thanks Vasquez! I get 28mpg from my 330Ci mixed driving, 35mpg on a sedate(ish) run - say 80mph cruise. How does the RRS S/C compare?

Post #337080 Mon Mar 19 2012 8:46pm
Abb75

United Kingdom 

Hi Mike, am too looking for a RRS, this one on the forum ticked almost all my boxes, unfortunately the colour combo of black on black is not for me. Otherwise this looks like an amazing car at a good price. Thought I would let you know.

http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic24497-15.html

Good luck with your search!

Post #337081 Mon Mar 19 2012 8:55pm
Mike_C

Abb75 wrote:
Hi Mike, am too looking for a RRS, this one on the forum ticked almost all my boxes, unfortunately the colour combo of black on black is not for me. Otherwise this looks like an amazing car at a good price. Thought I would let you know.

http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic24497-15.html

Good luck with your search!

Thanks Abb but not for me, I've no interest in the big wheels and shiny things! Ideally I would have a G4 Edition, not a Kahn.. Smile

Post #337091 Mon Mar 19 2012 10:01pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Mike_C wrote:
ELD70 wrote:

Yes but I want something sportier - it's got to replace both the BMW and the RRC, the RR Sport fits the bill perfectly!

Before the usual member jumps in with his TDV8 fanboy stuff Wink I would have thought that if you want something sportier than a D3 then you're either looking for the RRS TDV8 or the S/C. The 2.7 isn't really going to be any sportier than the D3 with the same engine.

Unless you mean "sporty" as in "looks sporty" rather than "goes sporty"? And for towing? I woul guess that anything the RRC can do the RRS will do...even with the 2.7 lump. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #337109 Tue Mar 20 2012 1:10am
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

i suppose it all depends on the level of geldt that Mike_C has that can determine if he can afford the extra two pots. What are the residuals on a V6 and v8 oil burner in the UK Question Perhaps a 2.7 with a reasonable and reliable remap could be the way to go if it comes down to budget.

in regard to G4, i thought these are all petrol v8 models, so getting a diesel and in regard to the MPG you could be a bit stuffed Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #337119 Tue Mar 20 2012 9:10am
Misery

United Kingdom 

Mike PM sent. Thumbs Up

Post #337120 Tue Mar 20 2012 9:22am
Vasquez

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

Mike_C wrote:
Vasquez wrote:
Mike i learnt everything i needed to know about RRS from this site alone and it armed me well when buying mine, had my grey supercharged nearly a week now and despite a rapidly descending fuel gauge i'm loving every second. I also had a BMW 330i before and despite it being an excellent car and super reliable i am not actually missing it at all. Hope you get a good one!

Thanks Vasquez! I get 28mpg from my 330Ci mixed driving, 35mpg on a sedate(ish) run - say 80mph cruise. How does the RRS S/C compare?

Hmmm not great but it is a supercharged so i knew what i was letting myself in for, i'm averaging about 17mpg right now. I used to get about 24 on my 330. But in terms of speed difference (my 330i was 260bhp and quite nippy) i dont notice a thing and if anything i find myself checking the speed dial more now as you just dont feel the speed in the RRS....the driving experience is just plain awesome and the fact i smile everytime i hit the pedal or just climb into the Censored makes it worthwhile. If it doesnt scare you it isnt heavy enough

Post #337127 Tue Mar 20 2012 10:44am
Mike_C

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Reason I want a TDV6 rather than a TDV8 is firstly I don't want to spend £25k+ getting the TDV8 and secondly I will be doing an 80-mile each way commute a couple of times a week and the TDV6 is a good 5mpg more economical, from what I have read (approx 24-25mpg average from a TDV6 vs 18-20mpg from a TDV8, sound about right?).

I have always used Simon @ EMAPS to remap diesel cars previously with great results, and he will take it from 190bhp to 230bhp and 440Nm to 510Nm - so should have plenty more grunt and towing ability.

By "more sporty than a D3" I mean a generally sportier drive, mostly handling and brakes. I believe the RRS is also lighter than the D3, so should be nimbler and a little quicker - with a remap it should be plenty quick enough!

As for the G4's, I think the 55-reg cars were all 4.4 V8's, the 2009-Challenge cars were TDV8's and 2x 3.0 TDV6's - so I would be looking at a 4.4 V8 and then fitting an LPG conversion, the only thing putting me off is how low the tanks seem to hang at the back end and how vulnerable that would be offroad.

Any more thoughts appreciated!!

Post #337137 Tue Mar 20 2012 11:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>