RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Talk to me about your Box :-)
When at lights or in a slow moving traffic Jam do you?
Put the car into Neutral or park
9%
 9%  [5]
Leave in Drive and cover the brake pedal
54%
 54%  [28]
Mixture of the above
35%
 35%  [18]
Total Votes: 51

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

olyb223

United Arab Emirates 
Talk to me about your Box :-)

Having researched this topic thoroughly and not coming up with a decisive answer, I wanted to ask - being the first 'automatic' I have owned I worry when parked at traffic light's or in slow moving Queues, that by covering my foot on the brake pedal and leaving the car in Drive that I am damaging the gearbox?

I've been researching this extensively and it seems so many people have strong opinions on what is the right thing to do in this situation

I wanted to ask fellow RRS owners their thoughts on this?

Surely leaving the Gearbox in 'D' creates unnecessary wear on the moving parts? brake disks & pads are constantly engaged, the transmission is holding itself on the clutch etc? On the other hand I've read that certain types of Gearbox's are made in such a way that you can leave in 'D' and it completely disengages itself? Do we have those said Box's in our RR's?

On the other hand I've read that constantly shifting into 'N' and then back to 'D' in slow moving traffic queues/waiting for a red light etc will damage the transfer box and could cause more damage over time than the above method?

I've created a poll - would be interested to see what everyone here does.

Thumbs Up

Post #324271 Wed Dec 07 2011 4:19pm
Southern Jock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I do a mixture of both.

If I think I will be stationary for more than 30 seconds or so then I pop it in N and apply parking brake otherwise I just leave it and cover the brake.

Post #324274 Wed Dec 07 2011 4:26pm
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

+1

I'll select N if I'm going to be sat there more than 20 seconds...

Otherwise it stays in D

And I never touch the park brake Thumbs Up That WILL go wrong with continual use!! RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #324276 Wed Dec 07 2011 4:28pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

Yip, do the same, but I do use the parking brake, as that is what it is supposed to do!! (mine comes on automatically after 10 seconds anyway) and if u are sat in traffic with foot on the brake dreaming away , it is amazing the number of people who still manage to let the car roll away into the car in front / behind!!
Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #324282 Wed Dec 07 2011 6:12pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I do a mixture. Sometimes N+EPB, sometimes N+footbrake, sometimes D+footbrake. Depends on how long I think I'm going to be sat there.

One thing to think about is the people behind - sitting looking at brake lights (which are pretty much eyeline for ordinary motorists sat behind us) isn't very nice; especially at night.

Thinking of other motorists isn't usual these days it seems judging by the number of people with rear fogs on when sat in traffic. If I use my rear foglight at all, I make sure I turn it off once I have someone behind me. Turning it back on as required (car behind tunrs off the road for example).

Little things that can make everyones life a bit better.

And don't get me started on people who say "thank you" (e.g. if you give way on a double parked street) at night by flashing main beams at you! I'd rather they didn't thank me than try to bloody well blind me! 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #324290 Wed Dec 07 2011 8:05pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

If lights have just turned to red on approach when ive stopped i will put it in P with no handbrake rarely use handbrake, as said above i don't like to dazzel the person behind me with my brake lights. If i'm not going to be standing there for long then i will just leave it in drive with foot on brake, 10-15 seconds at the most, i never just put it in N and sit there with my foot on the brake, this will eventually burn the solenoid out between the foot brake and the gear lever on pre 10 year models anyway Big Cry

Post #324297 Wed Dec 07 2011 9:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JC1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Southern Jock wrote:
I do a mixture of both.

If I think I will be stationary for more than 30 seconds or so then I pop it in N and apply parking brake otherwise I just leave it and cover the brake.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Same as this Thumbs Up Thumbs Up MY10 3.0 HSE Santorini Black, Ivory Premium & extended leather, privacy, paddles, diamond turned alloys, Ipod lead that charges, tasmods, rrsport.co.uk stickers

Jeep 4.0 High Output XJ 94 6" teraflex lift, c/w rear coils, 9500lb winch, 35" TSL super swamper boggers, safari snorkel, custom made bumpers, tom woods custom double cardon driveshaft, twin electric fans. Don't follow it..............you wont make it. The first 4 x 4 by far.

Post #324299 Wed Dec 07 2011 9:16pm
sam006

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Southern Jock wrote:
I do a mixture of both.

^^ same as above

Spent quite a while researching this after having to replace (out of warrantee) both a gearbox and transmission box on an X5. I always put that in N any time I was stationary.

I now, as above, only put in N if likely to be sat for more than 30 secs. my thinking is you'd do more damage rushing from N to D and driving off without it being properly engaged if you don't anticipate a light change right than if you just leave it in D.

Have also read that modern auto's are designed to have the car remain stationary whilst in D? Either way I try and play it safe!! Range Rover Sport HSE and for a bit of weekend fun a S1 Lotus Elise with a few track biased additions!

Post #324326 Wed Dec 07 2011 10:22pm
Tonyrec

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Leaving your foot on the brake pedal, especially at night can be construed as inconsiderate driving. a few years ago people were reported for it but you would be unlucky nowadays unless of course its over a period of time and its a trafpol car thats behind.

Its one of those ways and means offences........................... Whistle

Post #324340 Wed Dec 07 2011 11:20pm
Tonyrec

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I was taught to use the handbrake and leave the car in drive.
You would do more damage by rushing the transmission into Drive from Neutral.

Post #324341 Wed Dec 07 2011 11:22pm
Endjin

Scotland 

A mixture of both. Mostly leave in drive but if stopped for a while then will drop into Neutral. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #324363 Thu Dec 08 2011 10:11am
olyb223

United Arab Emirates 

sam006 wrote:
Southern Jock wrote:
I do a mixture of both.

^^ same as above

Spent quite a while researching this after having to replace (out of warrantee) both a gearbox and transmission box on an X5. I always put that in N any time I was stationary.

I now, as above, only put in N if likely to be sat for more than 30 secs. my thinking is you'd do more damage rushing from N to D and driving off without it being properly engaged if you don't anticipate a light change right than if you just leave it in D.

Have also read that modern auto's are designed to have the car remain stationary whilst in D? Either way I try and play it safe!!

I went through exactly the same thing with my X5 Sam, hence the reason for my post. I'm paraniod ever since owning that car, everything that could go wrong with a car did in that pile of junk! Interesting results on the poll guys - thanks for the feedback. Thumbs Up

Post #324416 Thu Dec 08 2011 4:32pm
rrsboy

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Re: Talk to me about your Box :-)

olyb223 wrote:
that by covering my foot on the brake pedal and leaving the car in Drive that I am damaging the gearbox?Thumbs Up

18 year old Volvo estate driven 200,000 miles by using the brake pedal method = no damage to auto gearbox. Go figure Thumbs Up ============
2010 TDV8 HSE - ooo laa laaaaaaaaa
2007 TDV8 HSE - superb car and very reliable
============
2012 - dearly departed, sadly missed.. to return in late 2013 with a new TDV8!

Post #324509 Thu Dec 08 2011 11:43pm
sam006

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

For Gods sake lets just hope it's that the X5 was just plain sh:censored:t !! Laughing

Think i'm going to stick with the D and brake, unless standing still for a period of time, then in N and sorry to those behind me who are going to get annoyed with the glare from my brake lights Whistle Range Rover Sport HSE and for a bit of weekend fun a S1 Lotus Elise with a few track biased additions!

Post #324648 Sat Dec 10 2011 1:47pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

sam006 wrote:
For Gods sake lets just hope it's that the X5 was just plain sh:censored:t !! Laughing

Think i'm going to stick with the D and brake, unless standing still for a period of time, then in N and sorry to those behind me who are going to get annoyed with the glare from my brake lights Whistle

How inconsiderate of you Mr. Green

Post #324686 Sat Dec 10 2011 9:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>