RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Bottle Jack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

640Newton

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Bottle Jack

If I want to use a bottle jack rather than the Land Rover supplied jack, how much extension do I need to get from the jack to get the wheels off the ground?

Thanks,
640Newton 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #318644 Tue Oct 25 2011 10:27am
raadar

Australia 

hi 640N

I was using a double stage bottle jack sourced from TJM. I say "was"as I found the lift, although higher and much more reliable than the factory jack, to be inadequate @ 200mm aprox. I usually lift directly under the outboard a-arm pivot for max lift but often still had the problem of having to dig under the wheel for removal. The factory jack was worse. I now carry a 1 tonne aluminium trolley jack which gives a 300mm lift. (waranaimports.com)

hope this helps......................frank my10D4se3Ltdv6 current
my08RRStdv8 sold
my07RRStdv8 sold

Post #318737 Wed Oct 26 2011 12:00am
640Newton

raadar wrote:
hi 640N

I was using a double stage bottle jack sourced from TJM. I say "was"as I found the lift, although higher and much more reliable than the factory jack, to be inadequate @ 200mm aprox. I usually lift directly under the outboard a-arm pivot for max lift but often still had the problem of having to dig under the wheel for removal. The factory jack was worse. I now carry a 1 tonne aluminium trolley jack which gives a 300mm lift. (waranaimports.com)

hope this helps......................frank

Thanks Frank, I certainly like the idea of the lighter aluminium trolley jack. Can I ask where you store it and how you secure it? I guess it could be possible to cut out some of the foam under the boot floor if it goes deep enough. 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #318743 Wed Oct 26 2011 4:36am
raadar

Australia 

in my current D4 I have sufficient space to store it on the floor behind the back seat (after removing one of the 2 handles)although you may not have this oportunity in the RRS. I don't think it will fit under the rear floor (I removed all this redundant foam from the D4 and from my previous RRS) without some modification of the rear floor cover to accommodate the receiver for the jacking handle.....unless you eliminate this cover and install a sliding floor to allow more clearance.

cheers........frank my10D4se3Ltdv6 current
my08RRStdv8 sold
my07RRStdv8 sold

Post #318744 Wed Oct 26 2011 7:24am
640Newton

raadar wrote:
in my current D4 I have sufficient space to store it on the floor behind the back seat (after removing one of the 2 handles)although you may not have this oportunity in the RRS. I don't think it will fit under the rear floor (I removed all this redundant foam from the D4 and from my previous RRS) without some modification of the rear floor cover to accommodate the receiver for the jacking handle.....unless you eliminate this cover and install a sliding floor to allow more clearance.

cheers........frank

Thanks Frank. 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #318754 Wed Oct 26 2011 9:15am
Timf

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

If I were you I wouldn't use a bottle jack on an RRS. It is amazing how high you need to lift to get a wheel off the ground, by which time the car is cocked up, and is leaning - along with the bottle jack Shocked . I tried it & gave up after not even getting the tyre off the ground. Go for a trolley every time. Thumbs Up

Post #318813 Wed Oct 26 2011 4:27pm
640Newton

Timf wrote:
If I were you I wouldn't use a bottle jack on an RRS. It is amazing how high you need to lift to get a wheel off the ground, by which time the car is cocked up, and is leaning - along with the bottle jack Shocked . I tried it & gave up after not even getting the tyre off the ground. Go for a trolley every time. Thumbs Up

Hi Tim, I have a trolley jack for at home but it's not practical to carry in the car as a mobile jack because it weighs about 30Kg and is about 60cm long. I'm investigating some aluminium trolley jacks (as per Franks recommendation above) that are more compact and lighter to I could in theory strap that into the back of the car somewhere. Maybe behind the Engel fridge.

Cheers,
Marcus 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #319042 Fri Oct 28 2011 8:18am
dcc

Guernsey 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I use an ABCO MEGA MGT-5 Telescopic Bottle Jack. This is extendable to 515mm and yet also fits under the car when not extended. This is the only one I found at the time I was looking a year or 2 ago that catered for all lifting requirements.

Post #319159 Sat Oct 29 2011 8:53am
Timf

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

Thanks 640 Newton, I will try that again. I agree, carrying a trolley around is not really practical! Smile

Post #319161 Sat Oct 29 2011 9:18am
Meccles

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

Recently fitted a Kingchrome 6ton bottle jack, fitted it into the engine bay just in front of battery. Used some of the Gotcha clamps to hold it, also fitted I/2" drive bar with deep socket on top of fender, also held in place with gotcha clamp. This jack lifts the car sufficiently to get a wheel off. Jack cost grand total of Aussie 65 bucks and will am sure do the business much better than standard stuff. My last standard wheel brace snapped when trying to undo a wheel.
Going to empty the space in rear and fit dual batteries in there, when Mrs Beanconter is not noticing. SWMBO owns this car I get to drive occasionally Smile

Post #320175 Sat Nov 05 2011 11:09am
Chicken George

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Santorini Black

DRDILL wrote:
I use a little 2 ton bottle jack from Halfords and i put it under the suspension arm, so only have to jack the arm up about 2 inches, used it when i did the discs and pads.

very sensible and safer too, just dont bend the arm

Post #320178 Sat Nov 05 2011 11:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1