RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Range Rover Sport HSE and water
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

buzzer

2009 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Zambezi Silver
Range Rover Sport HSE and water

ok, so its rainy season here, and also major floods all over. im a bit worried about taking my jeep into 2 feet of water!! ive heard that the HSE sport has so many electronic parts under the car, i fear that if i go into water, i will damage something.. Is this true? isnt the Land rover brand supposed to "fear none?" . i was in a 1970 land rover on a safari once, and we crossed a river in the jeep! now i fear i cant do it withe the HSE ! buzz

Post #306360 Sat Jul 16 2011 11:44am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

2ft ? Dont do it ! FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #306363 Sat Jul 16 2011 11:56am
Gerico

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

Calm water, smooth(ish) riverbed and you should have a good three and a half inches to spare!

So no I wouldn't do it eithier!

Post #306378 Sat Jul 16 2011 2:32pm
MikeS

Australia 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Take it easy and you'll be fine. The door seals are particularly good in deep water (well, they are on mine!)

Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #306379 Sat Jul 16 2011 2:49pm
The Kergan

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Nara Bronze

I wouldn't have thought the RRS is much different to the D3 as far as external electrics being damaged is concerned, and I waded the D3 several times. 2017 Range Rover Sport Autobiography

Post #306390 Sat Jul 16 2011 6:09pm
mse

United Kingdom 
Re: Range Rover Sport HSE and water

buzzer wrote:
ok, so its rainy season here, and also major floods all over. im a bit worried about taking my jeep into 2 feet of water!! ive heard that the HSE sport has so many electronic parts under the car, i fear that if i go into water, i will damage something.. Is this true? isnt the Land rover brand supposed to "fear none?" . i was in a 1970 land rover on a safari once, and we crossed a river in the jeep! now i fear i cant do it withe the HSE !

First off - it isnt a Jeep and usually on any Land Rover forum or group, reference to Jeeps is considered swearing...thats usually defining a defender as a jeep any range rover - well thats an insult Whistle

Anyway - far to many factors to consider with water crossings and if you havent ever played with water then i suggest you dont start in a Range Rover.

2ft, 1ft whatever, it can just as easily be done as not be done. Electronic equipment is reasonably robust and sealed to withstand the wading depth LR set - get to know this and what it looks like.

However, there are other factors - river flow, surface, hidden obsticals, bow waves, exit vehicle height etc - If you dont know the factors involved with rivers flow and your car floating (yes they do, a downside to good door seals) learn it, before you try and try killing yourself and passengers, not to mention writing off you sport.

Water and any car just doesnt mix - im not being a kill joy, ive had water over 3/4 up the windscreen of my discovery (for a foot or two) and played in a lot of it - just about safely. Im also fully aware i dont know it all and its a fine line between my skill avaliable being short of required skill.

A friend, who i consider as much more competant and capable than me off road etc came stuck when his 110 on a simple ford introduced its self to the bridge - a simple crossing became full on rescue - car secure, next day extraction and write off.

Be careful and learn the skills. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #306405 Sun Jul 17 2011 12:14am
NickM

United Kingdom 

MSE...good post Thumbs Up

Post #306409 Sun Jul 17 2011 7:35am
mse

United Kingdom 

NickM wrote:
MSE...good post Thumbs Up

Thanks Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #306414 Sun Jul 17 2011 9:43am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

MikeS's post is spot on; you'll note his photo is with the flow head on. If this was sideways the RRS would be travelling with the flow and, if the floor of the stream had and lumps, ridges or obstructions the RRS would probably tip over.

I used to be involved with the design of military vehicles that need to be amphibious and it ain't as simple as keeping the water out.

The forces in flowing water are very high and especially side-on the slab sides of a RRS can generate tonnes of energy and since the most of the weight is taken off the tyres because of the floatation you'll not have much grip.

If you really must traverse water check it by walking through with a depth stick first; if that thought worries you you have your answer. Never ever do it alone or without a winch capability.

Remember the marketing blurb about wading depth is taken as in still water and flat surface, i.e. ideal conditions and not very practical for a standard car.

Stick to less than 1ft with not much flow; otherwise , like overtaking, if in doubt don't !!

Post #306422 Sun Jul 17 2011 12:12pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Sorry earlier post was referring to Mike, as in mse's post - too many Mike's too early on a Sunday.

Post #306423 Sun Jul 17 2011 12:16pm
buzzer

2009 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Zambezi Silver

Wow! great information, thanks all... the picture of that range in the water is fantastic for an advert... i wouldnt risk mine though, not enough service centres here.
i dont intend to deliberately take it into water, just that when it rains here, IT POURS!! two weeks ago, we had a major rainstorm, and the roads were flooded, thats what im worried about, being out unfortunately when that happens.. im trying to add pictures to this reply, to show you how the roads get flooded, but cant seem to be able to add the pictures on,, can anyone tach me, ill upload the pics... Thanks again buzz

Post #306643 Tue Jul 19 2011 2:52pm
andy r

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Zambezi Silver

Theres a ford in Wales that sounds just like that ! 08 2.7 RRS "S"
Td5 110......very modified
RS 5
Kawasaki ZX12R Censored me, it's quick !

Post #306644 Tue Jul 19 2011 3:04pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

more people on here with more experience than me when off roading but i believe 700mm is the RRS max

also its not just a case of driving through, as mse says above: depth of water, hidden obstacles beneath the water as well at the surface of the river bed need to be taken into account, the big one is the speed of the water as well, as a small amount of speed goes with such a force that they could end up been washed away down stream

survey the water and if its too deep/fast find somewhere else, the cars good, but nothing is invincible Thumbs Up

Post #306657 Tue Jul 19 2011 4:51pm
sunseeker

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

MikeS wrote:
Take it easy and you'll be fine. The door seals are particularly good in deep water (well, they are on mine!)

brave! Oh wow

Post #313170 Sun Sep 11 2011 12:35am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

No this is brave Whistle

Some good clips off Disco Bow down

Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #349257 Sat Jun 30 2012 12:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>